Reload this Page >

Travellers Cheques

Wikiposts

Travellers Cheques

Old Sep 24th 2003, 10:35 am
NZ In Jan (Please!)

sandypandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travellers Cheques

What currency of Travellers Cheques have people taken to NZ for their holidays? I have been told to take sterling TC as they are easier to sell back when you return but I wondered if it was easier to take NZ TC instead.

Also I want to know why XE.Com quote the NZ exchange rate as 2.77 but places like Natwest will only give you 2.64 and charge you commission

Thanks
Sandra
Old Sep 24th 2003, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Travellers Cheques

Originally posted by sandypandy
What currency of Travellers Cheques have people taken to NZ for their holidays? I have been told to take sterling TC as they are easier to sell back when you return but I wondered if it was easier to take NZ TC instead.

Also I want to know why XE.Com quote the NZ exchange rate as 2.77 but places like Natwest will only give you 2.64 and charge you commission

Thanks
Sandra
Instead of taking TCs on which you pay commission, why dont you just use your Credit Card, which you can use to withdraw money from ATMs in NZ as well as paying for goods in the usual way. Lot less hassle, just make sure you load enough on your Credit Card before you leave!

Maybe take some GBP Notes to change at the airport in NZ so you can at least pay for your taxi into town in cash.

TC are an expensive way to change money.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 1:24 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Travellers Cheques

Originally posted by newkiwi
Instead of taking TCs on which you pay commission, why dont you just use your Credit Card, which you can use to withdraw money from ATMs in NZ as well as paying for goods in the usual way. Lot less hassle, just make sure you load enough on your Credit Card before you leave!

Maybe take some GBP Notes to change at the airport in NZ so you can at least pay for your taxi into town in cash.

TC are an expensive way to change money.
But are a good insurance policy.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

nell m is an unknown quantity at this point

on my trip this summer, I went at short notice so didnt have time to order currency, travellers cheques etc but got some NZ dollars at Thomas Cook, they reccommended US travellers cheques, although the hotels I stayed at said they would accept them (but was a hassle), it was easier for them for me to use my mastercard. I took my travellers cheques to the National Bank - they didnt charge commission on converting them to NZ dollars so I had plenty of cash for meals etc. Also used atm - just the same as here - although you do get charged each time you use them so its better to get large amounts fewer times.