Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Travel within OZ?

Travel within OZ?

Old Jan 2nd 2008, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

WithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really nice
Smile Travel within OZ?

Do you find you have done much travelling within OZ since you first arrived?

Do you find hopping on a plane to Sydney for a few days affordable or are flights quite pricey?

If you do go elsewhere do you tend to fly, drive or coach?

WithIce x
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really nice
Default Re: Travel within OZ?

Originally Posted by WithIce

Do you find hopping on a plane to Sydney for a few days affordable or are flights quite pricey?

WithIce x
I live in Brisbane and my Sister's in Sydney so I go there quite a lot - always fly and usually with Virgin. The further in advance you book the cheaper the flights plus they have some really good sales on the internet from time to time. Because of going to Sydney a lot I haven't been to many other places - Melbourne for a long weekend and Tassie for a few days in the same trip. Other than that we drive up or down the coast as only hour and a half from both.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

My preference is to fly anywhere further than Sydney (3 hours drive) however we do occasionally save money and drive down to Ballarat to see the inlaws (boring as b*t sh*t!). I have driven up to Brisbane and when I was much younger I did Cairns to Townsville then across to Alice Springs and down to Adelaide by Greyhound. These days, if I need to go to any of those far away places I fly. I wouldnt mind being a grey nomad though with nothing to do but travel.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

We drive mostly from Sydney. Over the years (28 of them) we've been all over NSW, as far north as Rockhampton in QLD (and plenty of places in between). Our last trip was to SA via Broken Hill and back via the GOR.

The only places we've flown to are FNQ and Tasmania. We prefer to drive because we believe the journey is half the fun.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by NickyC
We drive mostly from Sydney. Over the years (28 of them) we've been all over NSW, as far north as Rockhampton in QLD (and plenty of places in between). Our last trip was to SA via Broken Hill and back via the GOR.

The only places we've flown to are FNQ and Tasmania. We prefer to drive because we believe the journey is half the fun.

I agree that the journey is half the fun but it takes up a lot of time if you're limited.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

WithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really nice

So flying within OZ is quite cheap then?

The only reason I ask is that when we first arrived in NZ we thought we'd go and visit all these places but the cost of flights was so expensive we've not really been able to afford it.

WithIce x
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 12:45 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

You can get inexpensive internal flights. We're going to Adelaide from Perth in a few weeks. Round trip for 4 was just over $1000 with Virgin.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:03 am
The Doctors Assistant

Samuel Spaniel is just really niceSamuel Spaniel is just really niceSamuel Spaniel is just really niceSamuel Spaniel is just really niceSamuel Spaniel is just really niceSamuel Spaniel is just really niceSamuel Spaniel is just really niceSamuel Spaniel is just really niceSamuel Spaniel is just really niceSamuel Spaniel is just really nice

WithIce x
It really depends on where you are. Flights from Perth to any other city can be expensive and not all the cheap airlines operate out of Perth, hopefully this will change.

I have traveled to Sydney and Brissy a couple of years ago, but have also spent a lot of time exploring my own back yard.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

The only reason I ask is that when we first arrived in NZ we thought we'd go and visit all these places but the cost of flights was so expensive we've not really been able to afford it.

WithIce x
We're flying up to Rockhampton from Melbourne with Tiger for $10 pp each way
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

goingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nice

first time i visited australia, we flew into sydney then from sydney to goldcoast and back with jetstar booked on line about 2 weeks before flew on valintines day on return flight cost about 10$ +tax

http://travel.webjet.com.au/webjetts...ryPoint=Flight
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Good grief, nothing out of Canberra for less than $89 ever as far a I can see!
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

It can be. We are flying Perth-Melbourne return later on this year - $300 for all 3 of us ($49 per leg per person) with Tiger. Great value. From Melourne to Launceston it's $120 return for the 3 of us ($19 per leg per person). So that's 12 flghts for $420.

Tiger, Jetstar and Vrgin all fly to Perth.
Often Qantas is cheaper than Virgin and Jetstar.
Tiger is the cheapest of the lot.

Last edited by Amazulu; Jan 3rd 2008 at 11:28 am.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, that's put my mind at rest. I hadn't heard of Tiger so I'll check them out.

WithIce x
Old Jan 4th 2008, 7:58 am
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

Accommodation seems expensive, what does everyone do about somewhere to stay when travelling in Oz on a budget?
Old Jan 4th 2008, 8:54 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by temptininnit
Accommodation seems expensive, what does everyone do about somewhere to stay when travelling in Oz on a budget?
We'll be staying with friends in Adelaide. Otherwise we would either rent a holiday home or caravan.