Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Travel Insurance Whilst Pregnant

Travel Insurance Whilst Pregnant

Old Mar 6th 2005, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Foster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant future
Default Travel Insurance Whilst Pregnant

I thought that I wouldn't be able to travel until I was over 12 weeks pregnant. I phoned a couple of companies today just to check and they both said there is no restriction.
Does this sound right? Anyone else been in this situation?
My midwife has already said its ok aswell.
Cheers
Joanne
Old Mar 6th 2005, 8:50 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel Insurance Whilst Pregnant

Originally Posted by Foster Clan
I thought that I wouldn't be able to travel until I was over 12 weeks pregnant. I phoned a couple of companies today just to check and they both said there is no restriction.
Does this sound right? Anyone else been in this situation?
My midwife has already said its ok aswell.
Cheers
Joanne
There are no restrictions at all at the beginning of your pregnancy, infact there are none at the end either, they just recommend you don't travel after 36 weeks (I travelled at 38 weeks and a friend of mine travelled at 4 weeks)
However some airlines ask for a note from your doc or midwife just stating how pregnant you are and that they deem you it to fly, so check with the airline or just get note anyway to be on the safe side.
Congrats by the way.
Marie
Old Mar 6th 2005, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Foster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
There are no restrictions at all at the beginning of your pregnancy, infact there are none at the end either, they just recommend you don't travel after 36 weeks (I travelled at 38 weeks and a friend of mine travelled at 4 weeks)
However some airlines ask for a note from your doc or midwife just stating how pregnant you are and that they deem you it to fly, so check with the airline or just get note anyway to be on the safe side.
Congrats by the way.
Marie

Thanks
I don't know where I got this info from then.
So glad though cos we want to book flights tomorrow for 31 March/1 April so we can go ahead now.
Don't know if I would be so brave at 38 weeks though!!!!!!!
Joanne
Old Mar 6th 2005, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Congratulations Marie,
It is dependent upon the airline. Most will let you fly until 36 weeks, often needing a note from your midwife or doctor. Until then there are no restrictions. The main problem is that you are at increased risk of a DVT - so drink plenty of fluid etc etc. Are you planning to have the baby in the UK or oz?
Rachel (a midwife)
Old Mar 6th 2005, 10:10 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Foster Clan
Thanks
I don't know where I got this info from then.
So glad though cos we want to book flights tomorrow for 31 March/1 April so we can go ahead now.
Don't know if I would be so brave at 38 weeks though!!!!!!!
Joanne
I flew at 38 weeks pregnant and then gave birth 6 days early! and I'd do it again. I went on hol to Oz, it was booked before I knew I was pregnant and I had the choice of brave the flight or cancel. This was my first visit to Oz and I'm glad I went, and I've been back since with babe in tow.
I had extremely good insurance and I payed for it but as I said, I'd do it again. The air hostesses were great, made sure I had everything I needed and even accompanyied me on my walks round plane when hubby was asleep.
Marie
Old Mar 7th 2005, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

First labours take on average 12 hours, and thats from when labour establishes (you can be contracting days before you get established!) So, it would be very unlikely you would managed to give birth on a plane. Subsequent babies are a bit more unpredictable. But, babies arrive when they are ready, and your body knows what it is doing without health professionals around to help. I would definately risk travelling whilst pregnant. It's easier to travel with a baby inside than out!
Rachel
Old Mar 7th 2005, 2:07 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

I am flying in a couple of weeks at 31 weeks pregnant and the midwives are fine with it. It is only to Sydney (from Melbourne) so a short flight. No travel insurance either. I also flew when I was 7wks pregnant and was fine.

Congrats on the pregnancy

Jo