Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Travel Insurance - any recommendations?

Travel Insurance - any recommendations?

Old Oct 22nd 2011, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Smudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud of
Default Travel Insurance - any recommendations?

Hi all,

Has anyone got any recommendations for travel insurance? BNE to NCL for 21 days. We've never bought insurance before and run the risk, but now we are taking a little person we figure we better be more responsible.

I've done the usual price comparison websites and they come back at $250+ which I think seems a bit much. They all include massive medical expenses allowances, which as British/Oz citizens we won't be needing. Does anyone know any companies that allow you to deselect this as an option? We really only need the cancellation and baggage cover...

Cheers
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 2:54 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel Insurance - any recommendations?

You may find it difficult to not select medical cover - due to the risk that you get sick on the plane or at your stopover/refuel destination (Singapore? Hong Kong?) and need treatment there. Also, as a non-UK resident healthcare could cost money (I doubt it but it's a possibility).

I use http://www.travelinsurancedirect.com.au/ who have good reviews (I've never had to claim from them) and if you use the code: SPRING2011 you'll save 10% - so I get a quote of $178 for a family including UK and Asia (stopover/refuel).

Best of luck.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Smudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud of

Sorted- just bought that same deal with your 4code. Thanks for that
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 6:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tking
You may find it difficult to not select medical cover - due to the risk that you get sick on the plane or at your stopover/refuel destination (Singapore? Hong Kong?) and need treatment there. Also, as a non-UK resident healthcare could cost money (I doubt it but it's a possibility).

I use http://www.travelinsurancedirect.com.au/ who have good reviews (I've never had to claim from them) and if you use the code: SPRING2011 you'll save 10% - so I get a quote of $178 for a family including UK and Asia (stopover/refuel).

Best of luck.
I use them too; again I've not had to claim yet, but they are consistently cheap and send new offer codes through regularly
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

I used them as well and thought they were pretty good.

The first time I was stranded in the UK (at my Mum's) during the Iceland volcano and they were one of the few companies that were OK to fund additional travel (at one point I was going to have to travel overland from Manchester to Rome to catch my plane). I managed eventually to get a flight locally earlier than that booking so didn't need that massive trip.

The second time (this year) my OH lost his glasses, scraped the hire car and his wallet fell from his pocket in Dubai and someone helpfully took the cash and then left it on his seat (Emirates eventually found it but needed a photocopy of his passport and didn't have a photocopier so they drove him all round the airport to find one with no apparent sense of urgency).

TID paid the excess on the car (Enterprise was the cheapest for us the last three trips by the way, and, they'll pick you up/drop you off if necessary), theyrepaid the cash and paid part replacement of his glasses. Given that he didn't notice his glasses were missing for 36 hours and didn't report it to anyone other than the restaurant he'd been in and they were 18 months old, we thought the payment was reasonable.

Anyway I'm certainly happy enough that we'll use them again and will make sure OH reports anything that goes missing next time.

Have fun on your trip.

Cal
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 11:03 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

I have a platinum credit card from st george. Its free as part of a package (or $89 per year if not). As long as you pay using the card it gives you free travel insurance. May be worth considering/checking out. Other banks offer similar products.