Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

travel insurance?

travel insurance?

Old Nov 2nd 2004, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

betford is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face travel insurance?

Hi, we're off to melbourne in 4 weeks on a 4 year business visa and not sure what sort of insurance to get. Do we just get travel insurance to cover the flight? is any body else in the same boat? any other tips? we're starting to get frantic now as we work through our check list!!!
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottalison6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: travel insurance?

Come On Guys?????!!!!!
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 3:57 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

I would look at the travel insurance for the trip over, and then get private health insurance for while you are over here. I am not sure if I am right in thinking that on the visa you are coming over on, you might not be eligiable for Medicare, but you should check that out as I might be totally wrong.

When we (hubby & I) travelled back to Oz, we went via the US and used Go Walkabout and unfortunatly, we had reason to use their services and they were fantastic. You could give them a go...

Good luck

Hels
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hels
I would look at the travel insurance for the trip over, and then get private health insurance for while you are over here. I am not sure if I am right in thinking that on the visa you are coming over on, you might not be eligiable for Medicare, but you should check that out as I might be totally wrong.

When we (hubby & I) travelled back to Oz, we went via the US and used Go Walkabout and unfortunatly, we had reason to use their services and they were fantastic. You could give them a go...

Good luck

Hels
thanks, yeah you're right we're not eligible for medicare so its going to have to be private eekks!! thanks again for the tip
Old Nov 4th 2004, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Rupes is an unknown quantity at this point

we're going to use the Post Office's one-way travel insurance as it gives 17days insurance in the destination aswell as the journey.

Rupes

Originally Posted by betford
Hi, we're off to melbourne in 4 weeks on a 4 year business visa and not sure what sort of insurance to get. Do we just get travel insurance to cover the flight? is any body else in the same boat? any other tips? we're starting to get frantic now as we work through our check list!!!
Old Nov 4th 2004, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rupes
we're going to use the Post Office's one-way travel insurance as it gives 17days insurance in the destination aswell as the journey.

Rupes
thank you soooo much for that, we were starting to pull our hair out a bit no one seemed to want to insure us without the return journey, cheers
Old Nov 4th 2004, 9:58 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betford
thanks, yeah you're right we're not eligible for medicare so its going to have to be private eekks!! thanks again for the tip
I have a UK passport, on a 3-year visa, I am legible for Medicare.
Waltz into a Medicare office around 2 weeks after landing and sign up.

I searched long and hard for onw-way insurance. Didn't think of the Post Office! Mind you, we lost a suitcase and the airline are re-imbursing us!

Andrew