Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

travel from the hills

travel from the hills

Old May 10th 2009, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

bushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura about
Default travel from the hills

We're still hoping to move down to Perth this year and like the look of Kalamunda and other areas in the hills but as my OH will be working in the city we're wondering how long it's going to take him to commute every day.
What would be the nearest train station from there and how long is the drive to the city assuming he'd be driving in rush hour?

We also like The Vines but have heard that this is even harder to travel to the city from,is this right?
Old May 10th 2009, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: travel from the hills

*BUMP*
Old May 10th 2009, 2:51 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bushy
We're still hoping to move down to Perth this year and like the look of Kalamunda and other areas in the hills but as my OH will be working in the city we're wondering how long it's going to take him to commute every day.
What would be the nearest train station from there and how long is the drive to the city assuming he'd be driving in rush hour?

We also like The Vines but have heard that this is even harder to travel to the city from,is this right?
Nearest station is Guildford or Midland - both are about a 15min drive and you can park for free.
There is a pretty good bus service - takes 50mins into the city.
It takes me 25-30mins to drive in if I leave before 7am. 30-40mins coming home. I prefer to drive.
Old May 11th 2009, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bushy

Hi,
kalamunda is a beautiful place to live, it has a distinctly quaint villagey feel to it and unlike many suburbs now in Perth it has some history, you also get more house for your money. We drive into Subiaco everyday down Orong Road, takes about 35-50 minutes depending on time and the day and some other variable which appears totally random. The good thing about the Hills compared to the Northern or Southern corridor is the restriction in building in the hills due to it being the water catchment for Perth. this means that the Mitchell (North) and Kwinana (South) freeways are getting over used very rapidly while the increase in traffic coming from the East is minimal. As the previous poster said, there is no train station but there is a good bus service to the city, takes about 1 hour and ten minutes.

Good luck where ever you choose.