Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Transportation of Furniture.

Transportation of Furniture.

Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:04 am
Just Joined

macas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transportation of Furniture.

Does anyone have an idea of how much it costs to get furniture oer to Australia.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Transportation of Furniture.

Originally Posted by macas
Does anyone have an idea of how much it costs to get furniture oer to Australia.
Different companies have different quotes. Try an international shipper. If you search on here you'll get an idea of containers and names of companies that do part shipping.

Its a bit of a vague question to be honest.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:19 am
Just Joined

macas is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry how much does it cost to hire a container to transport furniture over. Or would it be cheaper to buy stuff when we got there.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:27 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry how much does it cost to hire a container to transport furniture over. Or would it be cheaper to buy stuff when we got there.
Between £3k to £5k for a 20ft container (3 bed house)
Between £5k to £7k for 40ft container (5 bed house)

Furnish cheaply in Oz (Melbourne) say $20k for 3 bed house (including whiteware and electronics. £3k x 2.4 = $7200 = 1/3 of above. - food for thought.

Where in Melbourne would you be needing to work? Think motor car for about $5k
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Ours cost about £3.5k for a 20ft. Some asked a very similar question about ship or buy. I think it really depends on factors such as how much you have. How nice. How old. Glad we shipped but can also see why you wouldn't. Not sure what others think but I think furniture is cheaper over here but it's been a couple of years. Check out www.freedom.com.au for some ideas
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:34 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Ours cost about £3.5k for a 20ft. Some asked a very similar question about ship or buy. I think it really depends on factors such as how much you have. How nice. How old. Glad we shipped but can also see why you wouldn't. Not sure what others think but I think furniture is cheaper over here but it's been a couple of years. Check out www.freedom.com.au for some ideas
http://www.fantasticfurniture.com.au...=62&Folder=382

This place is also really cheap - but watch out you get what you pay for - but on your budget this might do you for the first year or two until you get established and start banking more overtime.

Also have you yet thought about short term accomodation for when you arrive but before locating a longer term rental? Try contacting Kate on this site she may have some advice for your budget I know she has recently helped try and find accomodation for quite a few people.
http://www.moving-to-melbourne.co.uk...ommodation.htm

Last edited by Geelong Gent; Jan 9th 2009 at 11:36 am.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

As to whether it's cheaper to get rid of what you have and buy here or transfer your stuff over depends on the quality of your current stuff and how attached you are to any of it. I personally wouldn't give house room to Fantastic, I would do without and save until I can get something better but if you come with nothing and want to furnish cheaply and easily they tick the boxes, as do Ikea and many others.