Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Transit through Dubai

Transit through Dubai

Old Nov 17th 2011, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Transit through Dubai

Hi guys.

The time is approaching for me to finaly head home from work. Boy its being a long 6 weeks. Well, i am travelling via Dubai (from Entebbe) and i have three hours between flights and was thinking about using loungepass.com to book into a lounge. But not sure if it will be worth it. Any idea how long it takes from getting off the plane to being called for the next one in Dubai? Also, anyone used the lounge in Dubai that you can pay to enter?
Old Nov 17th 2011, 6:15 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transit through Dubai

Last time I was in Dubai (2009) it took ages to disembark, bus to the terminal and then get through the 2 sets of security to get to the departure gate area. I think it was not far off 2 hours in total. The terminal was so busy - a lounge pass would have been nice (just to even find a space to sit quietly). Might be worth asking on a specific flying forum for advice (which airline are you flying etc) as some people obviously fly in and out of Dubai weekly and may have good advice.

Good luck!
Old Nov 17th 2011, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Flying emirates. Never thought about a flying forum. Cheers for that.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 10:53 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Flying emirates. Never thought about a flying forum. Cheers for that.
Check their site for the tips section, helped me when I used them. It was a good few years, but I remember that in-terminal airside hotel was around 70-80 dollars per hour for a walk in, and someone saying you could get it way cheaper if you booked through an agency before your trip - if you are looking for a lay down and a shower. Also, the food was crap (in a airline food terms of reference) and duty free was nothing special and I remember it as expensive. Depending on the time of night, the only thing open would be an irish bar. Free high speed wifi interweb for skype and email was one thing to keep me company, but I remember there was no way to charge the laptop anywhere. a bit rambling, but hope you find this helpful.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks newjersey. I have been through it once before - not the best airport in the world. Though you should see Bunia in the DRC where i am flying from first!
Didnt know there was a hotel, but with probably only an hour to kill by the time i clear security its probably not worth it.
Crap thing with Dubai now is that you can not get duty free with them before then transit through as they confiscate them - happened to my wife. Annoying as the duty free in Entebbe is great. Very cheap
Old Nov 17th 2011, 11:31 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Thanks newjersey. I have been through it once before - not the best airport in the world. Though you should see Bunia in the DRC where i am flying from first!
Didnt know there was a hotel, but with probably only an hour to kill by the time i clear security its probably not worth it.
Crap thing with Dubai now is that you can not get duty free with them before then transit through as they confiscate them - happened to my wife. Annoying as the duty free in Entebbe is great. Very cheap
Not just Dubai confiscates things ('twas liquids you bought elsewhere afaik), electronics be safe. I once brought a suitcase of south African wine through Dubai and only because it was checked in, people had water bottles taken away at the transit security check, these guards can go over the effing top. Also try and see if you can get a meet and greet service from emirates, for extra 50 bucks or so they can wisk you through a separate entrance skipping all of them queues, it's great especially if you are traveling with kids.