Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

transferring money to oz... exchange rate being very poor

transferring money to oz... exchange rate being very poor

Old Jul 20th 2005, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

sooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the rough
Default transferring money to oz... exchange rate being very poor

Hi there,

We are off to Melbourne in 6 weeks time. Once we get the cash in the bank from our house sale we then need to obviously convert this to ozzie dollars.

As the exchange rate is extreemly poor and has been for a wee while now how long can you hold off keeping the money in the UK before you get taxed heavily on it. I believed it was 6 months but can someone confirm please.

Cheers
Susan
Old Jul 20th 2005, 9:48 am
Banned

Ozbound7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: transferring money to oz... exchange rate being very poor

Originally Posted by sooz&abby
Hi there,

We are off to Melbourne in 6 weeks time. Once we get the cash in the bank from our house sale we then need to obviously convert this to ozzie dollars.

As the exchange rate is extreemly poor and has been for a wee while now how long can you hold off keeping the money in the UK before you get taxed heavily on it. I believed it was 6 months but can someone confirm please.

Cheers
Susan
We are in the same position. However I have a legitimate strategy for keeping GBP in the UK earning interest indefinitely which I will use unless the rate improves. (This would not suite everybody as it depends on having a SMSF with UK investments and you need to be over 50 to access the cash)
Old Jul 20th 2005, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

Hi there,

Cheers
Susan
This question seems to come up a million times The 6 months window only applies to PENSIONS. You will be taxed on any gain you make as a result of exchange rate improvements. So for example, if you had £100,000 to exchange: if the rate was 2.3 when you arrived and 1 year later it improved top 2.6 and you decided to exchange then, you would be taxed on the gain (100,000 x 0.3) being $30,000. Same would apply if you made any losses and therefore you could gain relief.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 9:57 am
Geordie Pioneer

Location: Melbourne as of Aug 2005, formally Newcastle upon Tyne
Macky74 is on a distinguished road

Hi Susan,
Whereabouts in Newcastle are you from? I'm from Westerhope.
My girlfriend and I are off to Melbourne on 23rd August.

We are thinking of transferring enough money to cover our rent/expenses for the first say 3 months and then transfer the rest of our money when the rate improves or when we want to buy somewhere.

Cheers.
Andrew

Last edited by Macky74; Jul 20th 2005 at 10:00 am.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 10:55 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

vote on UK interest rate other wk was 5 hold, 4 cut - thus likely will be decrease next mth. Not the only factor for exchange rates, but does help the £ become weaker (as it has today against most currencies). One investment bank thinks that the interest rate will be 4% by mid 2006, further bad news for those (incl ourselves) wanting to exchange £ to AUS$.

yes to tax on exchange gains made from being resident, but AFAIK no relief for losses, or maybe just against other exchange gains.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

sooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the rough

Hi there,

I wondering if this is a coincidence but have you emailed Baconmaster about meeting up in melbourne when we get there in Sept?
If so he's my husband.

We're definately up for meeting up when we get there..
Thanks for the advice on the money transferring too..i think thats what we'll do too...

Cheers
Susan
Old Jul 20th 2005, 12:12 pm
Geordie Pioneer

Hi there,

I wondering if this is a coincidence but have you emailed Baconmaster about meeting up in melbourne when we get there in Sept?
If so he's my husband.

We're definately up for meeting up when we get there..
Thanks for the advice on the money transferring too..i think thats what we'll do too...

Cheers
Susan
Yes it is me, coincidence or what

Look forward to meeting up in Melbourne soon

Catcha later.
Andrew
Old Jul 20th 2005, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Ninijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the rough

Hi Susan and Andrew,

My husband and I are also moving to Mel at the beginning of September. We plan on renting a flat in Southbank for the first 6 months to start with, although Jon will be working in Geelong. It would be fab if we could all meet up for a drink? Have you guys been before? Do you know where you will be living? Dont know about you but I am so so so excited!

Cheers
Janine
Old Jul 20th 2005, 12:29 pm
CJN
Forum Regular

CJN is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ninijon
Hi Susan and Andrew,

My husband and I are also moving to Mel at the beginning of September. We plan on renting a flat in Southbank for the first 6 months to start with, although Jon will be working in Geelong. It would be fab if we could all meet up for a drink? Have you guys been before? Do you know where you will be living? Dont know about you but I am so so so excited!

Cheers
Janine
The interest rate on savings here in the UK is about 4% & from what I can see the savings interest rate in Oz is higher as the mortgage rate is about 7 - 8% so why not just cut your losses & benefit from the higher savings rates in Oz?
Old Jul 20th 2005, 12:38 pm
Geordie Pioneer

[QUOTE=CJN]Hi Susan and Andrew,

Cheers
Janine[QUOTE]

Hi Janine,
Yeah sure lets meet up, the more merrier really

My girlfriend and I were in Melbourne Xmas 2002 for the last Ashes series. We stayed in St Kilda which is a good place to go out for food and drink etc.

We've got a hotel booked in St Kilda for the first 2 weeks and then we are going to rent for the next 6 months before we buy. Looking to rent either Albert Park, St Kilda Rd, South Melbourne or Southbank type areas.

Oh yes very excited indeed

Send me a PM and I'll give you my e-mail address.

Cheers.
Andrew
Old Jul 20th 2005, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

The 6 months window only applies to PENSIONS.

I validated my visa back in march does this mean that any money that we take from the proceeds of our house now will be eligable for taxation? I had thought that we had one year to take all our money out of the country and that only applied when we were officially living there...iei hopefully mid october 2005?

Irene
Old Jul 20th 2005, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by parkhigh
Hi

The 6 months window only applies to PENSIONS.

I validated my visa back in march does this mean that any money that we take from the proceeds of our house now will be eligable for taxation?
I had thought that we had one year to take all our money out of the country and that only applied when we were officially living there...iei hopefully mid october 2005?

Irene
It starts when you become a resident for tax purposes, ie a validation trip does not count as a tax resident. No one year rule that I am aware of!!
Old Jul 20th 2005, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by longreach
It starts when you become a resident for tax purposes, ie a validation trip does not count as a tax resident. No one year rule that I am aware of!!
Thanks for that lets hope that the exchange rate improves in the next few months! However, may put the money into good rate for a couple of months to outweigh any losses re exchange rate.
Irene
Old Jul 20th 2005, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

My question is. How do they know when you bring money in.

Jo
Old Jul 21st 2005, 7:00 am
Good news everyone...

davidclifford is an unknown quantity at this point

If it is a lot of money, e.g. proceeds from the sale of a house then I have been advised to open an offshore account e.g. NatWest Jersey to avoid any tax problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.