Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Transferring Money

Wikiposts

Transferring Money

Old May 25th 2007, 12:04 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Transferring Money

Mr Herrchook works for an investment company here in the UK and has just had a meeting with one of the international dealers to talk through whether or not now is a good time to move our money.

The upshot of their conversation was that the current rate is definately worth considering. It is their opinion that the Australian dollar is not performing well due to the drought affecting their economy. The word from those who know is that it's probably not going to get any better for quite some time, and is more likely to drop.

Armed with that information, and the fact that the rate's not really "that" bad right now, I think we're going to go for it.

Just thought I'd share. But please remember that this is not financial advice. It was an informal chat between colleagues and rates can go up as well as down.
Old May 25th 2007, 12:15 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring Money

Originally Posted by herrchook
Mr Herrchook works for an investment company here in the UK and has just had a meeting with one of the international dealers to talk through whether or not now is a good time to move our money.

The upshot of their conversation was that the current rate is definately worth considering. It is their opinion that the Australian dollar is not performing well due to the drought affecting their economy. The word from those who know is that it's probably not going to get any better for quite some time, and is more likely to drop.

Armed with that information, and the fact that the rate's not really "that" bad right now, I think we're going to go for it.

Just thought I'd share. But please remember that this is not financial advice. It was an informal chat between colleagues and rates can go up as well as down.
Surely if you're in the UK planning to come out here and the Aussie is performing badly and likely to drop then you'll be wanting to hang on to Sterling for a while to get more Dollars...???
Old May 25th 2007, 12:19 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rodders39
Surely if you're in the UK planning to come out here and the Aussie is performing badly and likely to drop then you'll be wanting to hang on to Sterling for a while to get more Dollars...???
That's just what I was thinking!- but thought maybe I was being dim as figures not my strong point...
Old May 25th 2007, 12:34 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking that too. I say hold on for a bit.

also not financial advice in any jurisdiction etc etc

Buzzy
Old May 25th 2007, 12:46 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

I probably worded it wrongly. I'm def NOT a number person.

Colleague said rate isn't likely to get any better so best bet (in her personal opinion) was to either secure the current rate and keep money here til it goes up again, or secure the rate and transfer it into a high rate Aussie account.

Does that make any better sense??

Gill
Old May 25th 2007, 12:49 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herrchook
I probably worded it wrongly. I'm def NOT a number person.

Colleague said rate isn't likely to get any better so best bet (in her personal opinion) was to either secure the current rate and keep money here til it goes up again, or secure the rate and transfer it into a high rate Aussie account.

Does that make any better sense??

Gill
Hmmmmm

If the Australian economy is being affected by the drought, the dollar will probably get weaker. Therefore the advice should be to wait before changing £s.

The colleague seems to have made two opposite statements in the same sentence!

Buzzy
Old May 25th 2007, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of---Haggisman--- has much to be proud of

Gday,

Had a chat today with Moneycorp they say the dollar has had a good week now back at $2.41 today and hoping to keep rising better than the low of $2.37 last week i'm going to hold off another week and see what happens.

Haggis
Old May 25th 2007, 2:23 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ---Haggisman---
Gday,

Had a chat today with Moneycorp they say the dollar has had a good week now back at $2.41 today and hoping to keep rising better than the low of $2.37 last week i'm going to hold off another week and see what happens.

Haggis
Good for us-but not for them