Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Transferring Cats to Oz

Transferring Cats to Oz

Old Jun 10th 2006, 7:15 pm
Rocko since Feb 07

markrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nice
Smile Transferring Cats to Oz

Hi there!!!

We have a 8 year old cat who we have had from a kitten does anyone know of any way around the 6 month preparation to take Cats to Oz. We were intending to leave England in a year or 2 but due to unforseen circumstances it makes sense for us to go in 1 or 2 months. Any info at all on the subject would be very greatfully received.

Thank you

Angie ( and Mark)
Old Jun 10th 2006, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring Cats to Oz

Originally Posted by markrj
Hi there!!!

We have a 8 year old cat who we have had from a kitten does anyone know of any way around the 6 month preparation to take Cats to Oz. We were intending to leave England in a year or 2 but due to unforseen circumstances it makes sense for us to go in 1 or 2 months. Any info at all on the subject would be very greatfully received.

Thank you

Angie ( and Mark)
there is no six month preparation period.
My particular shipper wanted 3 months notice but others arrange in less and mine only wanted 3 months to ensure she get quarantined in melbourne as we are headed for adelaide and its nearest to that.

The only things i have to do is make sure she had her vaccinations and gave them the card, ensure she's microchipped and they have the serial number and take her there as planned with them. they orgnise everything else, vet checks, export licence and flight etc. You pay the Ozzie quarantine costs and onward shipping costs separately.
Hope this helps, there has been loads of threads about individual shippers so do a search for these and they will help you decide.

Ali
Old Jun 11th 2006, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

SenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really nice

Hi there!!!

Thank you

Angie ( and Mark)

Alison is right, there is no 6 month period. I think you may be referring to the rabies shots for a UK pet passport, which take 6 months. However, you only need a pet pasport to return to the UK, not to enter Australia. If you don't have one (and we don't) you just need to bear in mind that if you wish to return to the UK you will need the rabies shots and the passport and will have to wait six months then.

Be aware that you need a few weeks to have passed after vaccs before your cat can fly - think it's 4, but can't swear to it, so start them now as need two lots.

We used airpets for our 16 yr old moggy and they were fantastic. We chose to drop her off ourselves and they looked after us too! As Alison says, there are loads of threads though with other recomendations. For the record, our 16 yr old with bad nerves and renal failure is now thriving here, so try not to worry too much (though I know you will!) as your cat will be fine.

Best of luck,

Jo
Old Jun 11th 2006, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Alison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SenoraJo
Alison is right, there is no 6 month period. I think you may be referring to the rabies shots for a UK pet passport, which take 6 months. However, you only need a pet pasport to return to the UK, not to enter Australia. If you don't have one (and we don't) you just need to bear in mind that if you wish to return to the UK you will need the rabies shots and the passport and will have to wait six months then.

Be aware that you need a few weeks to have passed after vaccs before your cat can fly - think it's 4, but can't swear to it, so start them now as need two lots.

We used airpets for our 16 yr old moggy and they were fantastic. We chose to drop her off ourselves and they looked after us too! As Alison says, there are loads of threads though with other recomendations. For the record, our 16 yr old with bad nerves and renal failure is now thriving here, so try not to worry too much (though I know you will!) as your cat will be fine.

Best of luck,

Jo

Jo thanks for that i have been woried sick about holly as she's 14 in september and on the timid side with strangers. Karma on the way to you.

Ali
Old Jun 11th 2006, 9:19 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Due to my slack husband our cat made it in I think 6 weeks from contacting the pet people to getting him out here! LOL!
They like 3 months but can do it a lot less. It all depends on how quickly they get the paperwork through for him.

He is not allowed to fly until 2 weeks after his last jab. Our cat had a few days in the cattery at Heathrowe because he was just under 2 weeks when we flew.

Your vet will chip him and you will get the certificate through in the post. He needs all his jabs up to date and he needs to be healthy.

Our cat is about 12, has one eye and has had teeth removed in a dental before we came out.... and he got in.

If you have any further questions or you need an address for the quarantine and can't supply one, just IM me.

Cheers!
Old Jun 11th 2006, 6:26 pm
Rocko since Feb 07

markrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nicemarkrj is just really nice

Hi there!!

Thank you all for all your most helpful and welcome information and private messages. We can now certainly consider this option.

Angie(and Mark)

Originally Posted by iPom
Due to my slack husband our cat made it in I think 6 weeks from contacting the pet people to getting him out here! LOL!
They like 3 months but can do it a lot less. It all depends on how quickly they get the paperwork through for him.

He is not allowed to fly until 2 weeks after his last jab. Our cat had a few days in the cattery at Heathrowe because he was just under 2 weeks when we flew.

Your vet will chip him and you will get the certificate through in the post. He needs all his jabs up to date and he needs to be healthy.

Our cat is about 12, has one eye and has had teeth removed in a dental before we came out.... and he got in.

If you have any further questions or you need an address for the quarantine and can't supply one, just IM me.

Cheers!
Old Jun 12th 2006, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Keebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura about

Hi there!!

Thank you all for all your most helpful and welcome information and private messages. We can now certainly consider this option.

Angie(and Mark)
Hi just seen your thread re cats.
We have two that are currently in quarentine and are due for release this month.

We used Golden Arrow shippers in Shropshire - not only they the most competative they were the ones we felt after research would be the best choice.
They do everything. You just have to make sure you have your vet certs for jabs and if poss have them microchipped. However they will microchip them for you if you can't. They sort the import/export and travel.
They are not hightech - so phone and snail mail. We had a quote a year before we chose to send them, a year later the quote had not really changed. They can also pick them up if you need to although they prefer you to drop them off. The cats are usually with them 2-3 days prior to departure and are vet checked before flight. They only needed a few weeks notice as they have to arrange flights and import certs. If it is a busy part of the year then the quarentine stations are a bit busier and so need a little more notice. You can pay by money transfer.

We have no complaints. we would definatly use them again or recommend them.

Quarentine is 30 days and if you are close then you can visit. There are only 2 quarentine stations 1 in WA and 1 in Sydney. The animals are allocated a personal carer and you can ring between 1 and 3pm. You can look at the quarentine station on the web put Eastern Creek in Google and look at it. Payment to quarentine has to be by cash chq or visa as they do not have a personal account. Quarentine charges were about $550 per cat. Sounds a lot but this is kennellin charges collection from the airport vet fees and a couple of other things that I can't remember.

Hope this helps
Mrs Keebs
Old Jun 12th 2006, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Keebs
Hi just seen your thread re cats.
We have two that are currently in quarentine and are due for release this month.

We used Golden Arrow shippers in Shropshire - not only they the most competative they were the ones we felt after research would be the best choice.
They do everything. You just have to make sure you have your vet certs for jabs and if poss have them microchipped. However they will microchip them for you if you can't. They sort the import/export and travel.
They are not hightech - so phone and snail mail. We had a quote a year before we chose to send them, a year later the quote had not really changed. They can also pick them up if you need to although they prefer you to drop them off. The cats are usually with them 2-3 days prior to departure and are vet checked before flight. They only needed a few weeks notice as they have to arrange flights and import certs. If it is a busy part of the year then the quarentine stations are a bit busier and so need a little more notice. You can pay by money transfer.

We have no complaints. we would definatly use them again or recommend them.

Quarentine is 30 days and if you are close then you can visit. There are only 2 quarentine stations 1 in WA and 1 in Sydney. The animals are allocated a personal carer and you can ring between 1 and 3pm. You can look at the quarentine station on the web put Eastern Creek in Google and look at it. Payment to quarentine has to be by cash chq or visa as they do not have a personal account. Quarentine charges were about $550 per cat. Sounds a lot but this is kennellin charges collection from the airport vet fees and a couple of other things that I can't remember.

Hope this helps
Mrs Keebs

I am using Golden Arrow for my cat next month and have to say I haven't had any probs and they have been very efficient so far. However there have been a few negative points and comments on this website but they didn't put me off.
There are three quarantine stations, I know this because Holly's off the Spotswood in Melbourne.
hope your Cats settle in really quickly and enjoy all things australian

Alison
Old Jun 25th 2006, 12:15 pm
Rocko since Feb 07

Smile Re: Transferring Cats to Oz

Thanks to all for there personal messages and replies here. They have been most helpful and thank you all for that.

Angie(and Mark)
Old Jul 1st 2006, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

scallyuk is just really nicescallyuk is just really nicescallyuk is just really nicescallyuk is just really nicescallyuk is just really nicescallyuk is just really nicescallyuk is just really nicescallyuk is just really nicescallyuk is just really nicescallyuk is just really nice

bear in mind that there has been water damage to Eastern Creek in Sydney and they have closed about half of their cat pens. The other quarantine stations are trying to pick up the overflows but there are long delays. Spotswood are booked until mid august and Perth until September. Eastern Creek are operating a waiting list but are not allocating dates on booking.
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

we used passport for pets & they were really helpful
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 4:11 pm
Rocko since Feb 07

Hi there,

We have made a very hard decision, which will be very hard for us but that will be better for our cat. We have a friend and she wants her. We would have to rehome her at least 3 times if we took her and it would not be in her best interests. If we come back to UK for a holiday we will be able to see her but she will belong to our friend. At least we know she will be spoilt.

Thank you

Angie

Originally Posted by poppets
we used passport for pets & they were really helpful
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

SenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really nice

Hi there,

We have made a very hard decision, which will be very hard for us but that will be better for our cat. We have a friend and she wants her. We would have to rehome her at least 3 times if we took her and it would not be in her best interests. If we come back to UK for a holiday we will be able to see her but she will belong to our friend. At least we know she will be spoilt.

Thank you

Angie
A very hard decision, but a brave one. Everyones situation and everyones's cat is different, but I guess three moves and a spell in quarentine would be enough for the most well adjusted cat. I am glad you know the person and know that she will be spoilt as I'm sure that will help.
I have had to leave a much loved cat before and it broke my heart. She pined for quite a long time but we both got over it . It's quite embarrassing how much you fall in love with your pets isn't it?!
Anyway, take care and good luck,

Jo xx

P.S. Am sending you karma, but unfortunately have just learnt I'm firing blanks but it's the thought that counts!
Old Jul 4th 2006, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Transferring Cats to Oz

Hi there,

Thank you

Angie
what a tough decision to make, at least you know shes going to a good home
best wishes
xxxx
Old Jul 4th 2006, 8:10 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Thank you

Angie
Angie,

A very tough decision to have to make but one ultimately made with your cat's best interests in mind. Not much comfort to you though, I know.

Nicky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.