Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Transfering to WA drivers licence

Transfering to WA drivers licence

Old Feb 16th 2009, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future
Default Transfering to WA drivers licence

Hi,

have just been reading how to transfer my driving licence on the wa gov website and it says
'If you have a permanent residence visa and intend on living in WA you must obtain a WA drivers licence within 3 months of getting the visa. After this period your overseas authority to drive will not be recognised.'

I assume they mean within 3 months of arriving/living in WA?, not from when you were granted the visa?
Old Feb 16th 2009, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

noggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to all
Default Re: Transfering to WA drivers licence

Thats what they mean...and take some cash with u..it aint free
Old Feb 16th 2009, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TandC23
Hi,

have just been reading how to transfer my driving licence on the wa gov website and it says
'If you have a permanent residence visa and intend on living in WA you must obtain a WA drivers licence within 3 months of getting the visa. After this period your overseas authority to drive will not be recognised.'

I assume they mean within 3 months of arriving/living in WA?, not from when you were granted the visa?
Yes thats right, we just went to the licencing cetre in Joondalup showed our uk licence did a quick eye test paid about $100 for a five year licence, had photo taken and that was it. New licence dropped through the post box about a week later Easy peasy

John
Old Feb 16th 2009, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Does anyone know what happens to those on a 2 year + study visa?
Old Feb 16th 2009, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Yes thats right, we just went to the licencing cetre in Joondalup showed our uk licence did a quick eye test paid about $100 for a five year licence, had photo taken and that was it. New licence dropped through the post box about a week later Easy peasy

John
Eye test? No can you read that plate from such a distance. Is it both eyes to a certain standard, or just read plaque?
Old Feb 16th 2009, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Kingseat
Does anyone know what happens to those on a 2 year + study visa?
temporary visa holders can hang on to their original licence. you can get a WA one if you want to tho. you are not obliged to tho.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Eye test? No can you read that plate from such a distance. Is it both eyes to a certain standard, or just read plaque?
In Joondalup it was Just like the eye tests at school, reading the letters on a plaque from a set distance. I presume these tests would be similar elsewhere.

John
Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TandC23
Hi,

quote from the dpi website -
"You must apply for and obtain a WA driver's licence within three months from the date of grant of a permanent visa to continue driving lawfully in WA.
Failure to do so will make you liable for prosecution under the Road Traffic Act 1974."
I think that this is unrealistic as many people don't come to Oz in the first 3 months after visa grant. You have 12 months after all. It would make more sense if it was "3 months from visa validation" i.e. when you arrived in Oz....but that's NOT what it says.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

fremantle will become famous soon enoughfremantle will become famous soon enough

Hi

Does this mean then that as I am coming out to Australia on a Temporary Prospective Visa initially and then applying for a temporary spouse visa once married at the end of May that I can continue to drive on my UK driving licence until I apply for a permanent spouse visa?
Old Feb 17th 2009, 10:33 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by BATS666
quote from the dpi website -
"You must apply for and obtain a WA driver's licence within three months from the date of grant of a permanent visa to continue driving lawfully in WA.
Failure to do so will make you liable for prosecution under the Road Traffic Act 1974."
I think that this is unrealistic as many people don't come to Oz in the first 3 months after visa grant. You have 12 months after all. It would make more sense if it was "3 months from visa validation" i.e. when you arrived in Oz....but that's NOT what it says.
There is a similar quote on Centrelinks forms for the 104 week waiting period before we can claim any benefits. It states: "the waiting period generally starts from the date of grant of permanent residence"

However, in practice, they work on: "from the date of the person’s arrival in Australia".

Old Feb 17th 2009, 10:40 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by fremantle
Hi

Does this mean then that as I am coming out to Australia on a Temporary Prospective Visa initially and then applying for a temporary spouse visa once married at the end of May that I can continue to drive on my UK driving licence until I apply for a permanent spouse visa?
They do state:
If you hold a permanent residence visa and you intend to live in WA you are no longer considered to be a visitor.
and
As a visitor you can drive on your overseas driver's licence until the licence expires.
Looking on the immi web site, that visa is listed under the Migrants section, and not the Visitors section.

I would check with someone who is already on that Visa, or has been recently, as to me it does seem to be in between the two.

You are not exactly a Visitor, but nor are you a PR, yet.

Old Feb 17th 2009, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

basically, if you are not on a PR visa you don't need a local licence. If it is temporary, provisional and for a limited period you can keep your UK licence. Doesn't matter if your visa isnt listed under "visitor visa" it's the LACK of PR that's important.
My OH has a WA licence (she decided to get one as useful for ID), and I dont (best way to avoid points!). I checked at the local licencing office and I'm OK on the UK one until I get PR....which could be up to 4 years away.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

fremantle will become famous soon enoughfremantle will become famous soon enough

Thanks to you both for your replies. Just one of many things I can hopefully tick off my check list for the time being!
Old Feb 18th 2009, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Leeds_to_Perth will become famous soon enoughLeeds_to_Perth will become famous soon enough

Hahaha, wish I'd known about the PR rule when I got here 2 years ago and 10 points, 00's$ later...
Stick with your UK license for as long as possible!

Last edited by Leeds_to_Perth; Feb 18th 2009 at 1:13 pm.