Reload this Page >

Transfering to Oz Army as a Metalsmith

Transfering to Oz Army as a Metalsmith

Old Feb 14th 2010, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Marc64 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transfering to Oz Army as a Metalsmith

Hi,
Been thinking hard and long about this subject, and was wondering if there are any Army Metalsmith's who have already transferred over as I'd like to get in touch as I'm also thinking of transfering myself in the sometime near future.

Regards

Marc

Last edited by Marc64; Feb 14th 2010 at 11:51 am.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transfering to Oz Army as a Metalsmith

Hello Marc

Your a bit specific there, "Army Metalsmith's". Not "Army" or "Metalsmiths in general". You may as well go the whole hogg and say "army metalsmiths from Catterick, Imphal barracks".

But seriously if you go onto the Barbie and look back over the past week there's been a thread on transfering to the Australian Army. Some of the posts mention REME, what ever the hell that means, so you should feel right at home.

keel
Old Feb 14th 2010, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Nickimas is an unknown quantity at this point

Marc,

I can't help you with the metalsmiths part but just thought I'd warn you, all lateral transfers are currenly suspended.

My husband is a chef in the Army and is due out middle of next year, we contacted the ADF earlier this week to find out more about the transfer process were advised this by return e-mail.

Not sure when or if this suspension will be lifted in the near future but just keep your eye on it.

Nicki
Old Feb 15th 2010, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

exsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to all

Mate the days of easy transfer into ADF are long gone they have changed the goal posts so many times now. I served 12 years in the British Army got my self an Ozzie wife and then got out! (so am on a spouse visa) Moved over here about year and a half ago and tried to join the reserves they wounldn't even look at me until I was a permanent resident even though I've got alot of operational experience. Now they are changing it so that you have to be a citizen! Going to have to wait another 2 years now! There was a huge shortage of personnel up until recently. If you go on the Australian Army Website and go to the Recruitment page there is a number you can call to get info about international transfers. Good luck mate as the grass is definitley greener on the Aussie Army side (Brother-in-law is a serving digger and gets tax free money on tours for god sake!)
Old Feb 15th 2010, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exsquaddie
Mate the days of easy transfer into ADF are long gone they have changed the goal posts so many times now. I served 12 years in the British Army got my self an Ozzie wife and then got out! (so am on a spouse visa) Moved over here about year and a half ago and tried to join the reserves they wounldn't even look at me until I was a permanent resident even though I've got alot of operational experience. Now they are changing it so that you have to be a citizen! Going to have to wait another 2 years now! There was a huge shortage of personnel up until recently. If you go on the Australian Army Website and go to the Recruitment page there is a number you can call to get info about international transfers. Good luck mate as the grass is definitley greener on the Aussie Army side (Brother-in-law is a serving digger and gets tax free money on tours for god sake!)
They must have changed the rules quite a lot. I joined the reserves 5 years ago as a permanent resident. I had to sign a form saying that the minute I became eligable to become a citizen I had to do so. When I became eligable I didn't bother but they never enquired about it. I'm out of the reserves now. Theres not a big diference between the British and Australian army, everyday starts off with a lovely fry up.

Keel
Old Feb 15th 2010, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

exsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by keel
They must have changed the rules quite a lot. I joined the reserves 5 years ago as a permanent resident. I had to sign a form saying that the minute I became eligable to become a citizen I had to do so. When I became eligable I didn't bother but they never enquired about it. I'm out of the reserves now. Theres not a big diference between the British and Australian army, everyday starts off with a lovely fry up.

Keel
They are due to change it this year at some point dont know when, might get my permanent residency in time to join depends on how long it takes to process. The fry ups were of varying quality sometimes you could use the fried bread to cut diamonds!
Old Feb 15th 2010, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

I remember once back in the UK the cook (who called the cook a cnut, who called the cnut a cook). Fried the bread in gun oil. Seriously.

I'd done 18 years in the TA (STAB) before I got here and thought I'd give it a go. I joined the reserves and spent a few camps up North in the Pilbara. Never realised how lucky we had in Brecon and around Catterick. That's some hard country, on you body and kit, that they've got up there.

Keel
Old Feb 16th 2010, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

That oil is ment to stop your weapon from getting stoppages I think it would have the same effect on your digestive system as well!
Nothing can ever compare to doing the fan dance up them beacons will always send shivers down my spine when I think of it. Mind you there are no deadly snakes up there! Just some rather depressed looking Sheep...
Old Feb 16th 2010, 8:16 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of ARRSE threads on transferring into the Aussie Army, the whole process is 'on hold' at the moment but there should be an answer as to whether or not when it'll be resumed, later this month.

We have just gone through the process and arrived in Australia on the 6th February, so far so good....
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
There are a lot of ARRSE threads on transferring into the Aussie Army, the whole process is 'on hold' at the moment but there should be an answer as to whether or not when it'll be resumed, later this month.

We have just gone through the process and arrived in Australia on the 6th February, so far so good....
Hey Jen1977ni

I know your part of the world where you come from very very well served a few tours over there and sampled the cultural delights of Crossmaglen along with many more fun places! Glad you've managed to get through the process the Soldiers are treated so much better in the Australian Army especially with pay so it is well worth doing also you wont get sent away on ops as much.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:33 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Jen1977ni

I know your part of the world where you come from very very well served a few tours over there and sampled the cultural delights of Crossmaglen along with many more fun places! Glad you've managed to get through the process the Soldiers are treated so much better in the Australian Army especially with pay so it is well worth doing also you wont get sent away on ops as much.
Aye, my brother's in the TSG and has worked up in XMG, I was only in the PSNI part-time so didn't go to areas quite so dodgy lol
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Aye, my brother's in the TSG and has worked up in XMG, I was only in the PSNI part-time so didn't go to areas quite so dodgy lol
Finest police in the world the RUC/PSNI it was great to work with them makes you wonder how Queensland's finest would have coped in NI back in the day!
Old Feb 16th 2010, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Where would we be without acronyms?

Keel
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:04 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Finest police in the world the RUC/PSNI it was great to work with them makes you wonder how Queensland's finest would have coped in NI back in the day!
I'd have to agree, a fantastic police force/service who have had to put up with way too much crap over the years!
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:05 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by keel
Where would we be without acronyms?

Keel
yeah...

TSG - Tactical Support Group
XMG - Crossmaglen
PSNI - The BEST police force/service in the world by far!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.