Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Transfering money over

Transfering money over

Old Jan 4th 2010, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Brav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to all
Default Transfering money over

My computer is running terribly slow so I can't use the search function without taking forever looking. Apologies in advance if this topic has been beaten to death

Anyway, when moving to Aus, how exactly do I transfer all of my money over? I'll have a little bit on me in cash, but what about the rest? I don't think I can open an Australian bank account without actually being there to transfer to, can I? Do I just ring my home bank when I have an Aus bank account and have them transfer it over? What is the process?
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:58 pm
Banned

JimDavid1972 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transfering money over

Hi Brav,

I hope you are well. Yeah, i think you should take a little bit of cash with you, just to get you going when you get there. Then when you are there, set up an account in australia, then get the money sent to that account. I would avoid getting your UK bank to send over the funds to your australia bank, as they will take the mick when it comes to the exchange rate and the costs of sending, so definately look at the foreign exchange companies.

Hope that helps.

Jim
Old Jan 4th 2010, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Griffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really nice

Hi Brav,

I looked into opening WestPac accounts whilst in the UK and this seemed to be a straight forward process. Below is the name and number of the contact and the web address too.

Jeremy - 0207 621 7211

http://www.westpac.com.au/internet/p...igrant+banking

I also opened (for free) an OzForex account online. I have even made my first transfer and it took two days and the funds were cleared and ready for use in Oz. Your first two transactions are fee free and after that anything under £3k has a flat fee of £7. The rate is pretty competitive too.

https://secure.ozforex.com.au/fx/deal.asp?action=start

Hope this helps.

Griffangus
Old Jan 4th 2010, 3:47 pm
Banned

Hi Griffangus...

Could you possible give me the rate and date of your last trade please? Just want to see what the rates are like compared to my current company.

Thanks
Old Jan 4th 2010, 8:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JimDavid1972
Hi Griffangus...

Could you possible give me the rate and date of your last trade please? Just want to see what the rates are like compared to my current company.

Thanks
Have a look at www.tranzfers.com - they have a conversion table on the main page with their current rates, and are the same company as Ozforex.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 9:18 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Griffangus...

Thanks
Pointless, unless you compare at exactly the same moment. The rates change by the minute, and even a cent makes quite a difference when you are talking big sums.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Griffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really nice

Hi Griffangus...

Thanks
Hey Jim,

I agree with Wol that this is a little futile as this is historic but.....

1.8013 on 22/12/09.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 1:35 pm
Banned

Oh, the only reason i asked for the historic rate, is because the company im using, will give me the rate they would have given me on the date and time... just as a comparison...
Old Jan 5th 2010, 1:45 pm
Banned

just got a comparison anyway... for those that are interested...
at the high of the day... would have been able to get around 1.82 and low 1.8150 ... thats on amounts of around £1500... i guess... it aint a massive difference... ive used the company (Currencies 4 you) for quite a while... but im always jus checkin if i can get a better rate.. so if you know any other companies offering decent rates.. please let me know...