Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Transfer of UK driving licences info

Transfer of UK driving licences info

Old Jul 1st 2005, 9:04 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Transfer of UK driving licences info

Went to the licensing centre a couple of days ago....

In W.A. at least, you`re supposed to be able to drive with your UK driving licence for up to 3 months if you are sure you`ll be staying in the country.
You can drive for up to 12 months if you`re not sure if you`ll stay in the country or not.

It costs about $40 per license transfer (and you have to have an eye test), plus the cost of actually buying the Aus drivers licence for a year or more).

If you get a job, then you may have to get an Aus licence within a certain timescale. Or you can still drive on your UK licence for 12 months... just say you still don`t know if you want to stay in Aus or not.

We`ve been here 2 weeks, and went to get the Aus licences, but now we`ll both stay on our UK licences for the 12 months. The lady at the licencing centre agreed.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 9:09 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Transfer of UK driving licences info

Originally Posted by Stormz
We`ve been here 2 weeks, and went to get the Aus licences, but now we`ll both stay on our UK licences for the 12 months. The lady at the licencing centre agreed.
Keep an eye on the rules and regulations in the future though.

These things change with time.

Back in the 80's NSW allowed UK drivers to just change their driving licences over to NSW ones, without a test. Then they changed the rules, and made people take a Test first. !!
It got changed back to "no test" again recently, but you never know what may happen around the corner

Old Jul 1st 2005, 9:21 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Keep an eye on the rules and regulations in the future though.

These things change with time.

Back in the 80's NSW allowed UK drivers to just change their driving licences over to NSW ones, without a test. Then they changed the rules, and made people take a Test first. !!
It got changed back to "no test" again recently, but you never know what may happen around the corner
And reading the current guidelines, depending how long you have held your overseas licence decides if you go on P plates or not (NSW)
Old Jul 1st 2005, 9:24 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by seang
And reading the current guidelines, depending how long you have held your overseas licence decides if you go on P plates or not (NSW)
Thats correct, and it varies between 2 or 3 years experience depending on the State. It's currently 2 years for WA and 3 yrs for NSW. I haven't found any info for QLD yet

Old Jul 1st 2005, 10:02 am
Just Joined

rick neale is an unknown quantity at this point

Me and my family are going to be moving out to Melbourne hopefully within the next 2 months or so.

Does anyone know the situation with the driving licences in Victoria? I am kind of hoping that I don't need to do a driving test!
Old Jul 1st 2005, 10:24 am

LittleL is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rick neale
Me and my family are going to be moving out to Melbourne hopefully within the next 2 months or so.

Does anyone know the situation with the driving licences in Victoria? I am kind of hoping that I don't need to do a driving test!
No driving test in Vic ( at the moment). I changed mine over in March this year and it was very straightforward filled in a form and had a new Vic licence in about 20 mins!
Old Jul 1st 2005, 10:43 am
Just Joined

rick neale is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent news

Would you change over the licence form my UK one straight away?

Also, my girlfriend, who is coming over with me, is currently learning to drive and is hoping to pass b4 we move. However, if she doesnt , then can she re-take it over there?

Thanks.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rick neale
Excellent news

Would you change over the licence form my UK one straight away?

Also, my girlfriend, who is coming over with me, is currently learning to drive and is hoping to pass b4 we move. However, if she doesnt , then can she re-take it over there?

Thanks.
Hello!
We are in Melbourne on a 457 visa. You do not need to take a test in Vic, just go with your uk license and pay the fee for a 3 year license. However, on a temporary visa you do not have to change over your license so we haven't as yet. When you get your permanent residency you then have 3 months to change your license. We do have a $200 excess on our insurance as we have not driven in Oz for 2 years or more though. I think it would be far easier if your girlfriend could pass in the uk before coming. If she was to take it here there would be loads of different road rules to learn (hook turns etc where the trams run in the city!)

Ruth