Train to Sydney

Old May 1st 2003, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future
Default Train to Sydney

Has anyone done the overnight train from Brisbane to Sydney?

I would be very interested to hear your comments, either good or bad.

Queenie
Old May 1st 2003, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I did it about 2 years ago but it wasn't overnight. It left Brisbane about 07:30 in the morning and got into Sydney about 08:00 that night. I suppose their might be a night train as well but don't know.

Nothing special about the journey, not particularly scenic as it travels well inland for most of the journey. The most scenic part would have been between Newcastle and Sydney but it was dark so I could see stuff all.

It was cheap $56 but comming back I flew Virgin for the same price. But Virgin got into Brisbane about 11:00 at night, last bus and train had left and so had to get taxis home.

Taxis fare cost me half the price of the Virgin flight and I only live 11kms from CBD.
Old May 2nd 2003, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Location: Sutherland - til we find a house with a nice kitchen! Oh, even better - found one with a nice pool.
Mr. Ee will become famous soon enoughMr. Ee will become famous soon enough

Did this back in '96 and I seem to remember it taking 15 hours. Maybe its quicker now?
I recall it being cheap enough ($50-60) and it also meant that it was a night's accommodation that didn't need to be found!
Don't recall it being amazingly comfortable as far as sleeping goes, but not too bad either. The food (cost extra) was pretty good for train fare (sic) and at least you can walk about unlike a plane.

Regards,
Mr. Ee