Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Trailers is Australia, same size tow ball?

Trailers is Australia, same size tow ball?

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Trailers is Australia, same size tow ball?

Hi all, getting ready to book 40ft. container, i have a fantastic tipping trailer i use every day for work, perfect for my trade. i couldnt decide on taking the much loved Audi or my trailer.I now think i have found a compromise........put the car on the trailer in the container! i have done my measurements and with 45mm. either side of the trailer it fits.
My question is .........do uk trailers fit on Australian cars/utes (50mm ball)?
thanks for reading the post, paul.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:02 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trailers is Australia, same size tow ball?

You get 50mm tow balls here.

You need 2 chains on your trailer as well (from either side of the hitch) that attach either side of your tow point.

There are 2 types of electrical connection, round and rectangular. You can get an adapter or you can change the end.

Depending on your state and the size of the trailer you may have to licence the trailer. If you do it's not a huge amount per year.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
You get 50mm tow balls here.

You need 2 chains on your trailer as well (from either side of the hitch) that attach either side of your tow point.

There are 2 types of electrical connection, round and rectangular. You can get an adapter or you can change the end.

Depending on your state and the size of the trailer you may have to licence the trailer. If you do it's not a huge amount per year.
Thanks for the reply, when you say license the trailer, what does that entail? (how would you do that? we are off to nsw.
Thanks MatrinLuther
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bu1lder
Thanks for the reply, when you say license the trailer, what does that entail? (how would you do that? we are off to nsw.
Thanks MatrinLuther
I think in NSW all trailers have to be registered. I think this might be the page http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...es.html?rlid=7

Not sure about the specifics as in Vic we don't have to register small trailers. Hopefully someone from NSW can fill in the detail.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

I think in NSW all trailers have to be registered. I think this might be the page http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...es.html?rlid=7

Not sure about the specifics as in Vic we don't have to register small trailers. Hopefully someone from NSW can fill in the detail.
Thanks mate.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

That said, all the standard comments on bringing your Audi over still apply i.e. look forward to loads of paperwork and expense.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:42 pm
kjc
Just Joined

kjc is an unknown quantity at this point

Your trailer will have to be registered independently from your towing vehicle,it will have to go through an independent road worthy certificate to enable it to be registered.
It's not expensive,but neither are aussie trailers.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by James516
That said, all the standard comments on bringing your Audi over still apply i.e. look forward to loads of paperwork and expense.
Yeah i know, but even with all the shipping cost's, i will still be £4k in front as the Audi was a gift. I could hire a cheap motor from no birds till the Audi gets put on t'road couldnt i?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:09 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If he's fitting the car into/onto the trailer, it's hardly a small one
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Not a camping trailer, but with the rear tailgate removed it should just fit on litterally with 45mm either side. its a twin wheeler. no point transporting fresh air over there. imo. hope my rentals got a drive way!
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

Have you checked the height??? Trailer + car might be taller than your container!
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 11:14 pm
Banned

The Outback Monkeys is just really niceThe Outback Monkeys is just really niceThe Outback Monkeys is just really niceThe Outback Monkeys is just really niceThe Outback Monkeys is just really niceThe Outback Monkeys is just really niceThe Outback Monkeys is just really niceThe Outback Monkeys is just really niceThe Outback Monkeys is just really niceThe Outback Monkeys is just really niceThe Outback Monkeys is just really nice

now why would you want to leave skegness??

A long way to move just for another golden beach!
Old Feb 4th 2009, 1:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I was waiting for some pedant to pick up that one

I was just supplying extra info, exempli gratia
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Outback Monkeys
now why would you want to leave skegness??

A long way to move just for another golden beach!
ha ha ha, havent you heard? the pigeons are now flying upside down over skeggy.....................its not worth shitting on.
I am mearly a visitor here, i am a yorkshireman. (please no flatcap jokes, i've heard em all.)
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TheDangerousQuietOne
Have you checked the height??? Trailer + car might be taller than your container!
Yes........275mm spare in height, 50mm either side in width and 14 ft max lenghth......oh and the trailer carries 2000 kg, the car without passengers weighs 1800kg. strap car to trailer via wheels, then secure trailer to container tie-downs with 4 x 2" x 2 tonne ratchet straps. Disable tow-away anti theft system. Reverse trailer + car into container with Toyota Landcruiser, sell landcruiser and caravan, move to Oz...............simple
I'm pretty sure someone will find a fault.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.