Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Traffic Infringement Question

Traffic Infringement Question

Old May 14th 2009, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

buchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant futurebuchanan has a brilliant future
Default Traffic Infringement Question

Got caught speeding 2 months ago in a hire car, they have sent the infringement notice to my address in the UK and because we have mail re-direction from there it has ended up being sent to our home address in Aus. Just a question about it, what do I do, I don't have an Aus driving license as we are here on a Temporary visa, do I just pay the fee, what will happen if I then decide to get an Aus license, should I ignore it!!
Old May 14th 2009, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Traffic Infringement Question

Originally Posted by buchanan
Got caught speeding 2 months ago in a hire car, they have sent the infringement notice to my address in the UK and because we have mail re-direction from there it has ended up being sent to our home address in Aus. Just a question about it, what do I do, I don't have an Aus driving license as we are here on a Temporary visa, do I just pay the fee, what will happen if I then decide to get an Aus license, should I ignore it!!
Just pay the fine no penalty points are given. If you dont pay up and they decide to pursue it then I'm sure it wouldnt take them long to put you through the visa database. By the way why are you hiring a car with a uk address if you live here?
Not sure what happens when you get an aussie licence, I'll let you knwo when I get one, I got done for speeding 6 months ago.
Old May 14th 2009, 3:47 am
ABCDiamond

The points 'may' be linked to the UK licence number, and then transferred to any Australian licence that the UK licence is used to transfer to, within the relevant time period.

Old May 14th 2009, 3:48 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Ha ha, we are EXACTLY the same!!! 'Theoretically' we are never recieved it as it was sent to my UK address - nothing can do about that!!
Old May 14th 2009, 3:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buchanan
Yes
Old May 14th 2009, 5:15 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The points 'may' be linked to the UK licence number, and then transferred to any Australian licence that the UK licence is used to transfer to, within the relevant time period.
they're not though. I got a speeding fine under which I only had a UK license at the time. When I got a QLD license there were no points on there. You can't put points set by one jurisdiction on a license of another. Just like a NSW license holder will not get points for an offence committed in QLD
Old May 14th 2009, 6:29 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
they're not though. I got a speeding fine under which I only had a UK license at the time. When I got a QLD license there were no points on there. You can't put points set by one jurisdiction on a license of another. Just like a NSW license holder will not get points for an offence committed in QLD

I think you may be wrong there - In NSW, for offences committed on a UK licence, they keep a record of the offence and happily add the points on to your shiny new NSW licence when you swap it over...

S
Old May 14th 2009, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes you do....and what's worse as NSW has no 1 point rule for only just being over the limit you get hit with the minimum 3. I know, I've got the points to prove it!

However, there appears to be a rule that an offence that carries a driving ban in QLD cannot be applied in NSW, i.e. you would only be banned from driving in QLD.

Also, if it is double demerits in NSW and you get done speeding in QLD, even if it is not a QLD public holiday, you still get the double demerits!!!
Old May 14th 2009, 8:18 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
No, it doesn't work that way. The UK licence and Oz licence are totally separate. You won't lose any points on your UK licence and it shouldn't affect your Oz licence when you get it.

Generally speaking if you were resident in the UK, they won't pursue it but because you now live in Oz you will need to pay it. It will only keep accumlating otherwise.
Old May 14th 2009, 8:20 am
Account Closed

All traffic infingments interstate are linked. The state road authority will notify your state road authority.
Old May 14th 2009, 8:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
However, there appears to be a rule that an offence that carries a driving ban in QLD cannot be applied in NSW, i.e. you would only be banned from driving in QLD.
If you lose your licence you are unlicensed irrespective of what state.
Old May 14th 2009, 8:58 am

Howard Jenings is an unknown quantity at this point

What would happen if their mail hadn't been re-directed back to Aus, how would you know you had the infringement?
Old May 14th 2009, 9:12 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Howard Jenings
What would happen if their mail hadn't been re-directed back to Aus, how would you know you had the infringement?
See that's my point!! It would have no doubt ended up in the bin, cause Royal Mail would not pay to 'return to sender' when the sender is in Aus, AND that would also assume that the person who got the mail through the door, returned it to sender!
Old May 14th 2009, 9:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Howard Jenings
Doesn't make any difference, you will still need to pay the fine... Eventually.
Old May 14th 2009, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

I have been caught speeding all over the world and always paid the fines and never had points added from a different country onto my UK license. The longer you leave it the bigger the fine gets so best to pay it. I have had 2 speeding tickets forwarded from hire companies and paid them as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.