British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Traditional grub? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/traditional-grub-445311/)

Ding Dong Apr 26th 2007 9:20 pm

Traditional grub?

Hello all,
In England it's Roast beef and yorkshire pud, (or curry now), in France its Frogs legs and snails, Spain Paella, BUT what is Oz traditional grub. It can't just be BBQ can it? I heard once of a floater which i think is just pie in gravy.
Tell me what i have to look forward to and try, that might be different but i don't mean a bush tucker trial.

scousercarol Apr 26th 2007 9:29 pm

Re: Traditional grub?

Originally Posted by Ding Dong (Post 4702237)
Hello all,
In England it's Roast beef and yorkshire pud, (or curry now), in France its Frogs legs and snails, Spain Paella, BUT what is Oz traditional grub. It can't just be BBQ can it? I heard once of a floater which i think is just pie in gravy.
Tell me what i have to look forward to and try, that might be different but i don't mean a bush tucker trial.

Don't actually live there, so I'm probally no expert, but visited the family a few times and gotta say they are hot on fresh seafood! I am not a sea food lover and was pretty disgusted with what turned up on some plates!:eek: There is this 'thing' called a 'bug'!!! Apparantly it comes from the sea, but just looks like a small insect on steroids!!!;) They thought it was lovely, I felt like vomiting!!!:confused:

curly Apr 26th 2007 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by scousercarol (Post 4702291)
Don't actually live there, so I'm probally no expert, but visited the family a few times and gotta say they are hot on fresh seafood! I am not a sea food lover and was pretty disgusted with what turned up on some plates!:eek: There is this 'thing' called a 'bug'!!! Apparantly it comes from the sea, but just looks like a small insect on steroids!!!;) They thought it was lovely, I felt like vomiting!!!:confused:

Moreton bay bugs mmmmmm :p yummy :p a bit like lobster :p

Pollyana Apr 26th 2007 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by scousercarol (Post 4702291)

Moreton Bay Bugs - gorgeous :)

scousercarol Apr 26th 2007 9:51 pm

Yes!!!! That's what they were called!:D Moreton Bay Bugs!!:ohmy: We were at a RLS on the Gold Coast, there where about 12 of us, it was our farewell meal, the scenery was wonderful,:thumbsup: the company was fantastic, :thumbsup: the wine was scrumptious:thumbsup: And suddenly.... some overgrown bugs appeared on the plate :eek: I had to take a photo, I must find it and download it, watch this space!

Ding Dong Apr 26th 2007 10:03 pm

I know i said grub but i didn't literally mean grubs and bugs. lol
I've got to try some of them though as I'll try anything once and like lobster but Prefer crab. Are they a traditional Oz food though?

curly Apr 26th 2007 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Ding Dong (Post 4702475)
I know i said grub but i didn't literally mean grubs and bugs. lol
I've got to try some of them though as I'll try anything once and like lobster but Prefer crab. Are they a traditional Oz food though?

Apparently they are only in Moreton Bay :thumbsup: (Queensland)

MartinLuther Apr 26th 2007 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Ding Dong (Post 4702237)
Hello all,

Pies, snags, roast chicken, chicken parma (and a pot). Not sure whether fish and chips count as that's also traditional Brit grub.

scousercarol Apr 26th 2007 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 4702533)
Pies, snags, roast chicken, chicken parma (and a pot). Not sure whether fish and chips count as that's also traditional Brit grub.

Oh Yeah! Chicken Parma! :thumbsup: I liked that :) No dead upside down bugs on my plate! :rofl:

Ding Dong Apr 26th 2007 10:37 pm

OK, i have to ask. What is chicken parma? Is it a type of curry?

migrantoz Apr 26th 2007 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by curly (Post 4702495)
Apparently they are only in Moreton Bay :thumbsup: (Queensland)

Not according to this link http://www.sea-ex.com/fishphotos/bug,1.htm

scousercarol Apr 26th 2007 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Ding Dong (Post 4702583)

:rofl: Noooo not chicken korma!!! It is a chicken breast ith a kind of tomato type sauce on it?? Not really sure, but liked it anyway :thumbsup:

steandleigh Apr 26th 2007 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Ding Dong (Post 4702583)

Chicken parmagiana (sp?) is a flattened chicken breast, breadcrumbed, deep fried and then topped with italian tomato sauce and melted cheese.

A recent tv ad here for a local hotel had huge parmgianas on offer - the size of a dinner plate for $5. Revolting. :thumbdown:

scousercarol Apr 26th 2007 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by migrantoz (Post 4702612)

THATS IT!!!! Thats the one that was dead on my sil's plate! Ugggg!!! I must find the photo of it!

curly Apr 26th 2007 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by migrantoz (Post 4702612)

Good link :) wonder why they're called moreton bay bugs??? maybe they were discovered there :blink:

Ding Dong Apr 26th 2007 10:51 pm

Looking at that picture makes me wonder who was the first person to try and eat it. They must have seen all the pretty fish swimming and thought. The mother in laws coming. I'll serve her that.

curly Apr 26th 2007 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by steandleigh (Post 4702630)
Chicken parmagiana (sp?) is a flattened chicken breast, breadcrumbed, deep fried and then topped with italian tomato sauce and melted cheese.

A recent tv ad here for a local hotel had huge parmgianas on offer - the size of a dinner plate for $5. Revolting. :thumbdown:

YUCK!!!! won't be ordering that

Three Legs Apr 26th 2007 11:59 pm

Half Chook & Chips ...

:)

chels Apr 27th 2007 12:45 am

A traditional Australian banquet could consist of:

Pluto pups
Chicko rolls
Dagwood dogs
Fairy bread
Beetroot dip
Lamingtons
Anzaz biscuits
Cheese kranskys
Cabanossi
Tasty cheese
Balmain bugs
Hard jubes
Fredos
A chook or two
And some pav for dessert

Hutch Apr 27th 2007 12:49 am

Originally Posted by chels (Post 4703000)
A traditional Australian banquet could consist of:

Pluto pups
Chicko rolls
Dagwood dogs
Fairy bread
Beetroot dip
Lamingtons
Anzaz biscuits
Cheese kranskys
Cabanossi
Tasty cheese
Balmain bugs
Hard jubes
Fredos
A chook or two
And some pav for dessert

lol - schooner or two of VB to wash it all down afterwards ? :D

chels Apr 27th 2007 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 4703008)
lol - schooner or two of VB to wash it all down afterwards ? :D

Maybe some passion pop for the ladies? ;)

northernbird Apr 27th 2007 1:31 am

Originally Posted by chels (Post 4703045)
Maybe some passion pop for the ladies? ;)

do people other than teenagers actually drink that kak. At least White Lightening in my day was a decent drink :lol:

nickyjohnt Apr 27th 2007 1:35 am

My niece drinks Baileys with milk & ice :confused:

Actually its quite nice :)

Nicky

kez81 Apr 27th 2007 1:38 am

Since moving here i love oysters, the kilpatrick ones mmmmm not allowed to eat just now though with being preggers:(

kezx

kez81 Apr 27th 2007 1:41 am

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 4702533)

Before i came to oz my brother and his wife were on about chicken parma where they live which is Billingham, then when i came here noticed it was here too not too keen on it though!!

Kezx

chels Apr 27th 2007 1:57 am

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 4703089)
do people other than teenagers actually drink that kak. At least White Lightening in my day was a decent drink :lol:

Crikey - I just looked up White Lightening and found that for some people, it means something completely different to what I remember...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...hite+lightning

northernbird Apr 27th 2007 1:59 am

Originally Posted by chels (Post 4703141)
Crikey - I just looked up White Lightening and found that for some people, it means something completely different to what I remember...

mmm, most definately the cider variety I used to drink. Takes me back that does :D

chels Apr 27th 2007 2:08 am

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 4703143)
mmm, most definately the cider variety I used to drink. Takes me back that does :D

I've just done a search on the evil crap I used to drink - White Diamond! Never came across White Lightening - was the distribution limited to northern England?

Uggh, my stomach's churning at the memory - much like it used to do every week at the student union bar after 10 bottles of cat's piss :(

MartinLuther Apr 27th 2007 7:16 am

Originally Posted by chels (Post 4703141)

That's nothing. My wife wanted to make a chicken mask for one of the kids who was appearing as a chicken (not surprisingly) in a play.

She put "Chicken Mask" into Google and hasn't recovered yet :ohmy:

MartinLuther Apr 27th 2007 7:17 am

Originally Posted by chels (Post 4703171)
I've just done a search on the evil crap I used to drink - White Diamond! Never came across White Lightening - was the distribution limited to northern England?

Uggh, my stomach's churning at the memory - much like it used to do every week at the student union bar after 10 bottles of cat's piss :(

You could get it in London. It was a cheaper rougher version of White Diamond.

blowfly Apr 27th 2007 7:25 am

One of my sons loves the Aussie meat pie with the tomato sauce that as been put in the pie via the nozel being inserted into the middle of the pie and squirted in. He tells me this is great and with beer better. Ughhh!

chels Apr 27th 2007 8:40 am

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 4703824)
That's nothing. My wife wanted to make a chicken mask for one of the kids who was appearing as a chicken (not surprisingly) in a play.

She put "Chicken Mask" into Google and hasn't recovered yet :ohmy:

I think I'll remain ignorant about chicken masks...

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 4703825)
You could get it in London. It was a cheaper rougher version of White Diamond.

Rougher? How?!

Thank goodness they invented bacardi breezers and smirnoff ices etc for Gen Y.

moneypenny20 Apr 27th 2007 9:02 am

Bugs are fantastic uuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I think bugs are called after whatever area they are from - Moreton Bay are obvious. I can't remember what they are called down in Sydney but I know it's something - if that makes sense:blink:

And totally beside the point, as far as I know, the France's national dish is not snails and frogs legs - probably a cassoulet but anyway like I said not important.

JohnandMichelle Apr 27th 2007 10:03 am

Originally Posted by chels (Post 4703171)

God, that takes me back. Used to drink bottles of the stuff when I lived in England in my early twenties :ohmy: Remember one particular night when I found some keys in the toilet of the local pub, handed them in the bar man and realised much later (too late :o ) that they were my own bloody keys.... that's what Diamond White does to a girl..............:blink:

Getting back to the OP - best thing for dessert here is anything from The Cheesecake Shop.....:thumbsup:

chels Apr 27th 2007 11:04 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 4704150)
Bugs are fantastic uuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I think bugs are called after whatever area they are from - Moreton Bay are obvious. I can't remember what they are called down in Sydney but I know it's something - if that makes sense:blink:

Balmain bugs

tscw1 Apr 27th 2007 11:26 am

traditional Aussie Tucker is burgers with pineapple, egg and beetroot with Tim Tams for afters.

I'll also go on record to say a Penguin would kick sand in the face of a Tim Tam!

MartinLuther Apr 27th 2007 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by chels (Post 4704097)
Rougher? How?!

Thank goodness they invented bacardi breezers and smirnoff ices etc for Gen Y.

Don't know but they managed it.

dottyspots Apr 27th 2007 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by JohnandMichelle (Post 4704369)
God, that takes me back. Used to drink bottles of the stuff when I lived in England in my early twenties :ohmy: Remember one particular night when I found some keys in the toilet of the local pub, handed them in the bar man and realised much later (too late :o ) that they were my own bloody keys.... that's what Diamond White does to a girl..............:blink:

Getting back to the OP - best thing for dessert here is anything from The Cheesecake Shop.....:thumbsup:

I'm from Brum and we had White Lightening there - drank only when in my teens as it was v. v. cheeep. Other favourites were Thunderbirds and Mad dog/20 20 (or whatever it was called).

When I was around 20 I had a sense of nostalgia so thought I'd try a White lightening to remind myself - it was rank.

Sad to say, but years later whilst working for the youth service I still came across people drinking thunderbirds etc. - why? barcardi breezers are so much nicer!

Joolz Apr 27th 2007 3:15 pm

First time I tried Moreton Bay bugs i wasn't a big fan of seafood and wasn't really too impressed - I've started eating a lot more of it lately so will have to give it another go when I get there!

asher Apr 27th 2007 3:56 pm

surely witchety grubs are the traditional Oz food, that and Kangaroo!!:D