Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tradies just can't be arsed

Tradies just can't be arsed

Old Dec 2nd 2005, 9:44 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tradies just can't be arsed

We are trying to get our new house renovated. One of the major things we want replaced are the windows, so we got three window companies round to give us quotes on how much it would cost to replace them all. They all duly turned up and measured everything and said they would get back to us in a couple of days with their quotes... that was three weeks ago.

In frustration we got on to a fourth window company and got their salesman round, who again went through the motions of measuring everything and said he would get back to us the next day with his quote. That was 5 days ago...

Its not like some little tiny bit of work we want done that they can't be bothered quoting on. This is a major bit of work. But apparently they can't be arsed. Every glazier we have talked to claims to be 'flat out' and wouldn't be able to do the work till mid to late January.

While the house is being renovated the power has had to be cut, so I got in contact with the pool people who serviced the pool for the previous owners and asked them to keep the pool toped up with chlorine and stuff while it had no power to run the pump. The guy turned up once and filled it with chlorine, he hasn't been back in the last 4 weeks. The pool has turned green. I rang them again and as an inticement I said to them I was looking at getting the filter and pump and plumbing and everything replaced on the pool, if they could give me a quote on how much all that would cost, and in the meantime, could they please maintain the pool. That was a week ago, no quote, and no-one has been round to salvage the pool, now known as the pond.

The garden in the new house was starting to get a bit over grown, so we rang a gardener that we have used before for our current house and asked him to go round to the new house and have a look at it and see what needed to be done and how much it would cost. He hasn't bothered his arse. Despite the fact we always pay him cash straight after he has done the work. I know his excuse will be that it has been raining all week so he couldn't get to do it, but he could at least have had a look.

What is it with these people? Is our money not good enough for them?

ADL
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 9:54 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tradies just can't be arsed

Originally Posted by A dogs life
We are trying to get our new house renovated. One of the major things we want replaced are the windows, so we got three window companies round to give us quotes on how much it would cost to replace them all. They all duly turned up and measured everything and said they would get back to us in a couple of days with their quotes... that was three weeks ago.

In frustration we got on to a fourth window company and got their salesman round, who again went through the motions of measuring everything and said he would get back to us the next day with his quote. That was 5 days ago...

Its not like some little tiny bit of work we want done that they can't be bothered quoting on. This is a major bit of work. But apparently they can't be arsed. Every glazier we have talked to claims to be 'flat out' and wouldn't be able to do the work till mid to late January.

While the house is being renovated the power has had to be cut, so I got in contact with the pool people who serviced the pool for the previous owners and asked them to keep the pool toped up with chlorine and stuff while it had no power to run the pump. The guy turned up once and filled it with chlorine, he hasn't been back in the last 4 weeks. The pool has turned green. I rang them again and as an inticement I said to them I was looking at getting the filter and pump and plumbing and everything replaced on the pool, if they could give me a quote on how much all that would cost, and in the meantime, could they please maintain the pool. That was a week ago, no quote, and no-one has been round to salvage the pool, now known as the pond.

The garden in the new house was starting to get a bit over grown, so we rang a gardener that we have used before for our current house and asked him to go round to the new house and have a look at it and see what needed to be done and how much it would cost. He hasn't bothered his arse. Despite the fact we always pay him cash straight after he has done the work. I know his excuse will be that it has been raining all week so he couldn't get to do it, but he could at least have had a look.

ADL

I know they act like they're doing you a favour, when we asked the estate agent for the pest companys phone number, they said you better not phone them and ask when they're coming as you might piss them off and they'll put you to the back of the queue wtf
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Building shut down is about 2 weeks away now, some places close up to a month, even if youve had subs booked for months like we do, all it takes is a few days rain, (or the worst rain in 100 years like we had) and the bookings are shot. Finding a tradesman for anything is like finding gold now and will be up to the end of january as most have to go with the close down of suppliers and take hols then, after that they will probably be booked out in advance for all the work that got cancelled due to rain in dec.

Why not schedule the work for march, jan and feb bring nightmare weather anyway, heat storms etc
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 10:18 pm

Oh just thought of another example.

Our Bore pump stopped working a few weeks back. So we got the Bore pump guy out. He ripped all the tubing out of the bore pump (all 60 feet of it) and left it lying in the back garden, and said we need new tubing. He said he would be back in 4 days with new tubing to fix it.

Two weeks later we rang him to ask when he was coming round to fix the pump. He didn't have a clue who we were. Anyway, he eventually said he would come round on Tuesday to fix it. He didn't appear. So no w we have to ring him again, cos he is the only boire pump guy in the area he can basically piss us around as uch as he likes we have no option but to beg him to turn up.

and his excuse for never turning up? He is in the middle of moving house... WELL SO AM I!!! It doesn't mean I forget appointments and mess people about.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 11:31 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

ADL
Hi

I have a good friend who runs a pool company and he is only down the road from you, sure he will be more than willing to help you out!

Carol
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

ADL
Ain't that just the way? They just can't be stuffed coming out to your place because they have enough work already and don't really need more. When we had a major storm earlier this year here in Melbourne my mate waited six months for someone to come fix his wall of windows in the lounge that had been damaged. He just lived with plastic over it for six months because he couldn't get someone out to come quote on it for the insurance. Next time, he says, he won't tell them it's for the insurance.

I've now assembled, during our time of renting this house, a list of trades people whom I have found to turn up when they said they would. Honestly the list contains two names. One plumber and one electrician. This house had some major problems and it took almost a year before a tradesperson actually kept an appointment and then returned to do the job. In the meantime I had people ringing me and saying; "I'd be there on Thursday." then never turn up, and some who turned up, had a look, said they'd be back and that was the last I saw of them. Meanwhile I am thankful this isn't my house because it has sustained some serious damage due to the neglect of the tradies.

When you do find a tradie that actually pitches up and returns to complete the job, don't tell all your friends about him, because before you know it, he'll be too busy to do work for you anymore
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by spalen
Hi

I have a good friend who runs a pool company and he is only down the road from you, sure he will be more than willing to help you out!

Carol

Is that the guy on Nelson street who leaves his van parked on the road? 'The Poolman' or something it says on it. I walk passed it every night.

Do you know him? Is he good? Does he turn up when he says he will?
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hope it all sorts out soon ADL, last week we were without water for 24 hours as it was so hard to get a plumber out - none of the 24hours emergency stuff like you get in the UK. I was going spare as we had a sink of washing up, couldn't make the tea, all needed baths etc. what a pain! What's more I had really bad morning sickness and wanted to puke all over the place
Here in WA when they need a good excuse they say they are waiting for parts "from over East" which means you are looking at a wait of at least 3 weeks.
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 6:31 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Is that the guy on Nelson street who leaves his van parked on the road? 'The Poolman' or something it says on it. I walk passed it every night.

Do you know him? Is he good? Does he turn up when he says he will?
Yes we do know him quite well in fact and he turned up at the curry house when he said he would so I guess that counts. They are british (but 20yr aussies) so I guess they turn up on time about 2/3rd of the time given they've spent 2/3rds of their life in England and only contaminated by 1/3rd of aussieness.

You want i put you in touch with the Man, he has good chemicals, imported, know what I mean, he'll fix you up good man...reallll good.
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by spalen
Yes we do know him quite well in fact and he turned up at the curry house when he said he would so I guess that counts. They are british (but 20yr aussies) so I guess they turn up on time about 2/3rd of the time given they've spent 2/3rds of their life in England and only contaminated by 1/3rd of aussieness.

You want i put you in touch with the Man, he has good chemicals, imported, know what I mean, he'll fix you up good man...reallll good.
Out of sheere fristraion I went an bougt all the chemiocals myslef today and treited the poole myslef. God, don't they lok the tubs ofclorine well, I had to brake open wif a hmmrer and scroodrivre and it all blue up in my fase.

God sore face now, butt other than fine,

hah!! sod you pooll people, I can myesf fix it. Saveed $100 porblay
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Out of sheere fristraion I went an bougt all the chemiocals myslef today and treited the poole myslef. God, don't they lok the tubs ofclorine well, I had to brake open wif a hmmrer and scroodrivre and it all blue up in my fase.

God sore face now, butt other than fine,

hah!! sod you pooll people, I can myesf fix it. Saveed $100 porblay
You didn't swallow any pool chemicals did ya?
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Larissa
You didn't swallow any pool chemicals did ya?
Mae have ihnaled a few. Just gott a wee hedache.
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 8:01 am
ah-beng

Mae have ihnaled a few. Just gott a wee hedache.
Its that 'moroccan' chlorine - does your head in. You shoudl try the spanish stuff its a bit weaker for first timers like you.

Or if you mix it with angel-delight you get 'ice' that'll blow your head off.
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 11:46 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone can supply me with the number of a builder, a plasterer, a plumber & a tiler who isnt booked solid until August next year & who will turn up to do a job here in Brisbane, I'll buy you a lotto ticket!
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 12:11 pm
ah-beng

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
If anyone can supply me with the number of a builder, a plasterer, a plumber & a tiler who isnt booked solid until August next year & who will turn up to do a job here in Brisbane, I'll buy you a lotto ticket!
dunno 'bout that but I can sell you some chlorine and some angel delight too ... wanna buy some?.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.