Tradesmen!!!

Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:22 am
Just Joined

flare is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tradesmen!!!

Hello everyone!

Im just wondering how all you tradesmen are finding it out in australia? is the work plentiful ? do you have success with your own business etc... ??

I am a carpenter to trade and i am wanting to move over to oz. I have my own business over here.... only small 3 guy band so i can leave it to them and still go over. I just prefered the ozzie lifestyle. Id very much like to setup a carpentry business again once i get out there, probably will work for an employer first then go for it.

Just wondering if anyone has done the same thing that i am planning?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old Mar 26th 2009, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

wanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: Tradesmen!!!

Hi,

I am in the same boat (self employed joiner) and would like to set up as the same in perth and would like to hear from others.

Where are you thinking of heading.

Rgds,

Tony.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

flare is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tradesmen!!!

It was going to be Perth or the sunshine coast! i really enjoyed both!

Surely theres someone out there with some information ?
Old Mar 31st 2009, 9:34 pm
Gone Walkabout

aussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really nice

All depends on when you plan to come over, I reside on the sunny coast and I have a mate who's a chippy, he has not worked since arriving Nov 2008 and is considering going home, I am a plasterer and have not worked since Jan 2009, so you get a rough idea of how bad it is for these trades, cannot speak for other trades or Perth though.

Last edited by aussiedreamz; Mar 31st 2009 at 10:55 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

thehowarths will become famous soon enoughthehowarths will become famous soon enough

Hi - don't mean to put a damper on things but we too came to the Sunshine Coast in October and haven't been able to get work.

OH is a carpenter and has had to spend a fair bit of time and money getting his UK qualifications/experience certified so that he can apply for his BSA licence in carpentry. Without this license, he couldn't work as a self employed carpenter. This applies to Queensland though, don't know about other states.

Work, even with a license, seem to be very thin on the ground, and it seems that only the established known tradesmen are managing to get work - mainly on a 'who you know' basis perhaps?

We were totally unaware of this situation when we came over (to be honest it only started to get really bad at the end of last year) and don't want anyone else in the same boat as us.

However, on a good note, if jobs are thin on the ground in the UK then i guess its better to be out of work where the sun is shining and the beaches are beautiful . Also, a couple of years ago the Sunshine Coast construction industry was absolutely booming and tradies could name their price, so theres hope for us for the future here......think once you've got your foot in the door its fine, but getting your foot in in the first place takes a bit of time.

Good luck with everything.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold

No work since been here since November 08, pipe fitter, but im up in far north queensland.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 2:54 am

dinner-dash is an unknown quantity at this point

Painter on the Gold Coast

No work here, well a little if you know the right people. even aussie painters with more contacts you poke a stick at are going weeks and weeks with no work.

one good thing though......one way tickets to uk are dropping
Old Apr 1st 2009, 5:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by flare
Hello everyone!

Im just wondering how all you tradesmen are finding it out in australia? is the work plentiful ? do you have success with your own business etc... ??

I am a carpenter to trade and i am wanting to move over to oz. I have my own business over here.... only small 3 guy band so i can leave it to them and still go over. I just prefered the ozzie lifestyle. Id very much like to setup a carpentry business again once i get out there, probably will work for an employer first then go for it.

I think it should be taken as a given that most people would work for an employer first, while they get their licences sorted out. And that can take time.

Working for an employer also gives you the chance to get to know the 'local' ropes, and 'local' ways of doing things.

If you have an income from the UK business, that can really help while you get going.

How many employers have vacancies though... I have no idea.

Old Apr 1st 2009, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

The license is a bit of a bind but you dont need one to work for someone else. Contact Master Builders and do everything through them would be my advice, they do your initial courses you need and put you in touch with a company to get your qualifications recognised. It is government funded and costs $330 per trade then $165 for any others.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

The license is a bit of a bind but you dont need one to work for someone else. Contact Master Builders and do everything through them would be my advice, they do your initial courses you need and put you in touch with a company to get your qualifications recognised. It is government funded and costs $330 per trade then $165 for any others.

Work is definitely quiet though and could be for a year or so yet, there is work going on but its getting a start is the problem. I still personally think its probably a little bit better here but be prepared for some tough times.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 5:22 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Yep seems slim pickings internationally to be honest

And i too have thought that i would rather be warm with stuff to do and out of work against cold and nothing to do for free !

Hope it picks up soon

Dougie
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 9:42 am
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

OH is a plumber on sunshine coast, took 7months to get work
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 11:04 am
SSC
Just Joined

SSC is just really niceSSC is just really niceSSC is just really niceSSC is just really niceSSC is just really niceSSC is just really niceSSC is just really niceSSC is just really niceSSC is just really niceSSC is just really niceSSC is just really nice

Hello everyone!

Echoing ABC Diamond getting work whilst applying for licences is a good idea. Also a lot of work is sub-contracted so you'll need an ABN. I'd also seek the advice of a good accountant re GST, super contributions etc

One tip - find out who are on the recommended repair list for insurance companies. Here in Brisbane there are still a lot of houses yet to be repaired at the Gap as the recommended repairers are so busy.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

shark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant future

We know a couple of experienced Joiners who both had a business in UK, both are out of work, one was laid off last week. I believe there are in the region of 200 applicants for each job!! It does seem to be a case of who you know here! Good luck!
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

stu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to all

Hello everyone!

g day
been out here 3 yrs now 25 yrs experience as a chippy with lots of experience in all aspects now is the first time work has got tight if i was you i would carry on in the uk till things pick up here good luck .

stu

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.