Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TRA soo close but now wondering is it what we want?

TRA soo close but now wondering is it what we want?

Old Jun 12th 2005, 8:19 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy TRA soo close but now wondering is it what we want?

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH oh my god i cant believe how confused i feel
After weeks of gathering references writing stat decs and basically pulling our hair out, we are now as our agent put it so bloody close to submitting, but now we dont know if we really want to move to Oz, does this happen to most, i think gathering the info i was in a surreal dreamworld that somehow didnt seem real and now we are close it seems real and dont know if we can actually make the move.Do you think this is part of the process?
Any advice or your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Kris and Rob
Old Jun 12th 2005, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future
Default Re: TRA soo close but now wondering is it what we want?

Originally Posted by kris maynard
we are now as our agent put it so bloody close to submitting, but now we dont know if we really want to move to Oz, does this happen to most, i think gathering the info i was in a surreal dreamworld
Yup, I had the flights booked for Jan and cancelled at the last minute. Of course, easier for us because we all have dual nationality. Easier to vacillate that is!

Everybody's circumstances are different so it's impossible to generalise. No offence to anyone intended here, but a good proportion of the population here and doubtless everywhere else has never lived more than a few miles from where they grew up. People in that category need to be very careful in my opinion from rushing into a decision to emigrate on the strength of a great holiday in Oz or a TV programme.

Presuming this isn't you, you need to be more-or-less certain that you'll be able to find a suitable employment there. Again, this varies considerably from job to job but in general white collar jobs pay less whereas tradespeople get similar or better than the UK.

If you have kids then bear in mind that Australian schools tend to start formal academic work a year or two later. This might mean your kids start off top of the class but if you do decide to return the reverse may be true.

I would tend to be cautious and rent out rather than sell my UK house so if things didn't work out I had an escape route.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 8:40 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light

After weeks of gathering references writing stat decs and basically pulling our hair out, we are now as our agent put it so bloody close to submitting, but now we dont know if we really want to move to Oz, does this happen to most, i think gathering the info i was in a surreal dreamworld that somehow didnt seem real and now we are close it seems real and dont know if we can actually make the move.Do you think this is part of the process?

Cheers
Kris and Rob
Go ahead and submit the TRA you've still got lots of waiting and thinking time before you finally get your visa...so carry on with the process as you might feel totally up for it in a couple of weeks or months time....

CORKER
Old Jun 13th 2005, 7:02 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CORKER
Go ahead and submit the TRA you've still got lots of waiting and thinking time before you finally get your visa...so carry on with the process as you might feel totally up for it in a couple of weeks or months time....

CORKER
I agree, you may as well carry on now as you might regret not doing so in a few months time!

I've had moments where I've thought "What the **** are we doing?" - it's natural but doesnt mean we arent doing the right thing.

It's always difficult when you move out of an area you know, I had similar feelings when I moved from Lincoln to Kent, used to visit Lincoln nearly every month and missed it and friends there like mad, but after a while went less and less and one time was walking round Lincoln High Street and suddenly felt like it wasnt "home" anymore.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 6:31 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for replying think must have been having a bad week still not sure whether we will be brave enough but we are gonna send our TRA off soon.
Then i supose if we get a yes the sh** will really hit the fan.

cheers all
Kris
Old Jun 13th 2005, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

greggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of light

Once you put in the TRA there is still a long way to go we are just about to take our medicals and then hopefully sell and go . We have had plenty of doubts on the way but always said we will regret it for the rest of our lives if we dont give it a go now we have come this far. At the end of the day you can always come back at a later date, good luck with the rest of the visa.

Greggsy
Old Jun 13th 2005, 8:05 pm
Happy Member

Originally Posted by greggsy
Once you put in the TRA there is still a long way to go we are just about to take our medicals and then hopefully sell and go . We have had plenty of doubts on the way but always said we will regret it for the rest of our lives if we dont give it a go now we have come this far. At the end of the day you can always come back at a later date, good luck with the rest of the visa.

Greggsy
Cheers Greggsy I know we are still way off just one of those days i think,

Good Luck with your meds

Kris
Old Jun 13th 2005, 8:08 pm
Love it here!

SalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by greggsy

Greggsy
This is just how we feel too. Gotta give it a go!
We are waiting for tra result (due about end of June we think) and are feeling very confused too!
Old Jun 14th 2005, 7:09 am
Happy Member

Originally Posted by SalSa
This is just how we feel too. Gotta give it a go!
We are waiting for tra result (due about end of June we think) and are feeling very confused too!
Good Luck
Old Jun 14th 2005, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Cheers
Kris and Rob
Welcome to the wonderful world of immigration. It took us FIVE years to immigrate due to hubby not being able to make his mind up, some days he'd change his mind hourly :scared: It got to be so bad that it became a standing joke amongst our friends: "So are you immigrating this minute or not? Yes? Right THIS minute?...I'll wait another minute and ask you again." AAARGH! It drove me insane. But, it's normal. This is a very big step and it's all new & scary. My advise to you would be to keep going through the process, eventually you will know and then you will have OPTIONS. If you stop now you will have no options at all.

Best to you.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by G'Day
It took us FIVE years to immigrate due to hubby not being able to make his mind up, some days he'd change his mind hourly
Thanks for that; I now know I am not alone!
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:52 am
I'd rather be Buzz!!

SylvieKid is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a huge step relocating to the other side of the world, leaving all your friends and family behind, etc... but I find the thought of NOT trying it even more scarey. :scared: I mean, I really cannot imagine living in London/South East for much longer as that's really depressing both my partner and myself!! The commute into London itself is enough to make you want to scream!! :scared:

As scarey as it is though, we're really excited about the whole thing - a new life, new country 'n all... it may not work out but like everyone else is saying - if you don't give it a go you may live the rest of your lives regretting it?

Chin up and try not to get too down about it all. Send your forms in and see what happens? And besides, I don't believe that they'll march you to the airport and force you to go if you decide that it's not for you after all?
Old Jun 14th 2005, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SylvieKid
It is a huge step relocating to the other side of the world, leaving all your friends and family behind, etc... but I find the thought of NOT trying it even more scarey. :scared: I mean, I really cannot imagine living in London/South East for much longer as that's really depressing both my partner and myself!! The commute into London itself is enough to make you want to scream!! :scared:

As scarey as it is though, we're really excited about the whole thing - a new life, new country 'n all... it may not work out but like everyone else is saying - if you don't give it a go you may live the rest of your lives regretting it?

Chin up and try not to get too down about it all. Send your forms in and see what happens? And besides, I don't believe that they'll march you to the airport and force you to go if you decide that it's not for you after all?
Yep, it's all one big adventure. And something that's 100% reversable. Now often you find those kind of adventures coming along
Old Jun 15th 2005, 9:32 am
Happy Member

Thanks again all
Its hubby more than me, he has spent the last 4 years building a reputation for himself as a plasterer working for himself, and a majority of his work is now recommendations, before that he spent 14 years working on site which i dont think he wants to go back to!
For me I just want the adventure of living in another country i have always wanted to try a different lifestyle culture etc, but had kids so never got the chance now all 3 of my kids want to go!
We are still going to apply ive worked too hard on the TRA not!Hopefully we will be submitting by the end of the month
I believe in fete so if its ment to be it will!!

Thanks again everyone

Kris
Old Jun 15th 2005, 10:01 am
Sand, sea and serenity

Milo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the rough

Cheers
Kris and Rob
Definitely part of the process I'm afraid, almost a daily occurance for me. Will we go, now transfered to will we stay.

Oh dear! what we put ourselves through. Welcome to the real world of immigration! Scarey :scared: aint it, but very worthwhile in the end believe me.

Good luck

Marie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.