Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TRA nightmare is it just me???

TRA nightmare is it just me???

Old May 22nd 2006, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

jopaul will become famous soon enoughjopaul will become famous soon enough
Red face TRA nightmare is it just me???

Help is it just me or is this TRA application a nightmare. My husband is applying as either a Mechanical service engineer or a supervisior plumber, and we have got to complete year by year details of his 3 years apprentiship that he did 19 years ago!!! He cant remember 19 days ago never mind the heady days of college when you are 16 in the late 1980's and have just discovered diamond white and grolsch. not only that but 1 of the firms he worked for when he came out his time doesn'texist any more and the other has been taken over and doesn't keep record of employees from more than 6 years ago!! But as i like a challenge i am on to it and am in the process of chasing up these firms, no rest for the wicked, and in the meantime, i don't know whats worse, the british weather, trying to make out what Paul is trying to write,for me to type up his skills assesment or actually understanding about pipes,purging,valves, knowing what benders are for and orbital welding!!!! any help,advise or encouragement would be gratefully received. jo xxx
Old May 22nd 2006, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TRA nightmare is it just me???

Originally Posted by jopaul
Help is it just me or is this TRA application a nightmare. My husband is applying as either a Mechanical service engineer or a supervisior plumber, and we have got to complete year by year details of his 3 years apprentiship that he did 19 years ago!!! He cant remember 19 days ago never mind the heady days of college when you are 16 in the late 1980's and have just discovered diamond white and grolsch. not only that but 1 of the firms he worked for when he came out his time doesn'texist any more and the other has been taken over and doesn't keep record of employees from more than 6 years ago!! But as i like a challenge i am on to it and am in the process of chasing up these firms, no rest for the wicked, and in the meantime, i don't know whats worse, the british weather, trying to make out what Paul is trying to write,for me to type up his skills assesment or actually understanding about pipes,purging,valves, knowing what benders are for and orbital welding!!!! any help,advise or encouragement would be gratefully received. jo xxx

LOL, no it's not you. I felt exactly the same when I did my hubby's last year. I have no idea about Electricians at all and I too couldn't read a word that he wrote.

It does sort of come together eventually and the relief you feel when it's done is wonderful.

For the ones that have gone out of business etc, is he still in touch with anyone he works for that could supply a reference saying they worked there with him? If not then you'll have to do a stat dec for them parts.

Good luck with it.
Old May 22nd 2006, 8:04 pm
Living the dream

kars has a brilliant futurekars has a brilliant futurekars has a brilliant futurekars has a brilliant futurekars has a brilliant futurekars has a brilliant future

Hi Jo

Don't give up we had the same problem, my husband didn't finish his C & G (not his fault) so we had to get proof of formal training (he's a roofer) but his firm had closed down the East Midlands branch and he was made redundant (13 years ago). We contacted head office in B'ham and the personnel chappy found someone who remembered my husband (25 years ago) and gave an excellent reference - he got his TRA and we now have our STNI visa.

Sallyx
Old May 22nd 2006, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

It may be best to write down the dates of his apprenticeship at X company (no longer in business),his apprenticeship papers would back this up plus the dates he was at college to gain qualifications with a copy of his certificats from college and any other course.
It is a pain but I wrote down all the types of equipment worked on , all the tools I used, my typical daily/weekly /monthly jobs,and gave examples of specific jobs as he would have done in his apprenticeship years,plus as many contacts and references as I could get...took f'in ages!!
Dont forget ..all photocopies must be certified. And a bit of advice..get at least three copies 'cos when you pass the TRA and apply for the visa they ask for all the info you sent to the TRA. Plus once your in Aus. and have to re-apply to the TRA for a work license you will need it all over again...keeps the paperwork rolling in (plus the cash!! )
Old May 22nd 2006, 8:17 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

lol....no, you arent alone!
im doing my oh's - hes a plasterer - and has worked for agencies but on the same site.....getting references from the agencies and site gaffers is proving a bit of a nightmare!

re the businesses that are now defunct, you can do a free search on registered companies names on companies house website - it will tell you if the firm is still trading, or what its now trading as - think its companieshouse.com or co.uk...do a quick search - you can the print out the companys details (You may have to pay a small fee for more info...) if they are defunct to further prove what you state in your tra.

for the several years i have been on this site i have found you just cant go into enough detail! some i have read have sent off 200/300/400+ pages of stuff...some have sent off only a dozen. so there is no right or wrong....just make sure you detail EVERYTHING!!!

good luck....and ask for help if you need it - there is usually someone helpful around to offer advice (or even a shoulder to cry on if its not coming together as youd planned!)

sue x
Old May 22nd 2006, 8:31 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

No its not just you, TRA is a nightmare. We posted ours off 10 days ago, so are anxiously waiting to hear after over 4 months of compiling refs and statements and other docs. Mark was an apprentice carpenter/joiner 22 years ago and they had shut down. Luckily he had contact details of a couple of ex colleagues who did refs (after quite a few phone calls and a kick up the bum).
Also a couple of the firms he worked for had closed so we went on companies house web site and printed details off.

I had to type his statement of service out and his handwriting isnt the best so had quite a few changes. He is quite organised so he had all of his C & G certificates except the final one so we had to get another copy which took about 3 weeks.

Anyway, dont give up its really daunting and yes, it is a nightmare but a necessary one to fulfil your dream. Hang in there and good luck.

Joex

ps keep everything crossed for us!!
Old May 23rd 2006, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute

sent you a private message

Paula
Old May 23rd 2006, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice

Hay Jo.

I think you'll find your in very good company on this site. The TRA is not our idea of fun either. The more you get done, the more you're able to see the pin prick of light at the end of the tunnel.
I sued my first employer after I got chemical poisoning so I don't think they would be too happy to see me at their door.
Keep at it

Scotty.
Old May 23rd 2006, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

We are just about to start the TRA for my husband. It looks as though it is going to be a complete nightmare.

You are definately not alone.
Old May 23rd 2006, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH WHO HAVE REPLIED!!! YOU ARE A LOVELY LOT! have photocopied all Paul's and my documents and copied the cerified ones 3 times as advised, so i hope no one whats to visit Sherwood Forest as i have used lots of trees worth of paper. Thanks you "Downies" i will PM you back, i know its going to take a long time to get everything together but it's def going to be worth it. If we don't give it a shot we'll regret it forever xxxx
Old May 23rd 2006, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH WHO HAVE REPLIED!!! YOU ARE A LOVELY LOT! have photocopied all Paul's and my documents and copied the cerified ones 3 times as advised,
You cannt photocopy the certified ones...they have to be certified again,bo**ox I know but photocopying certified copies just makes them photocopies
Old May 23rd 2006, 1:33 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH WHO HAVE REPLIED!!! YOU ARE A LOVELY LOT! have photocopied all Paul's and my documents and copied the cerified ones 3 times as advised, so i hope no one whats to visit Sherwood Forest as i have used lots of trees worth of paper. Thanks you "Downies" i will PM you back, i know its going to take a long time to get everything together but it's def going to be worth it. If we don't give it a shot we'll regret it forever xxxx
The road ahead was daunting for us when we started but we were lucky enought to have the help and support of some fantastic members on this site.

Keep at it and persevere, it's all worth it in the end..............the TRA is probably the hardest part of the app to complete. the 47sk will seem like a dream after this!!

Good Luck
Old May 23rd 2006, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

djfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nice

It was a nightmare for me retracing my apprenticeship but fortunately the firm is still in existance and gave me a great reference.... and today the TRA said.............................................. .......YES!!!!!!!!!!! Am I gonna have a few tonight
Old May 23rd 2006, 1:43 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Lol, TRA is pure hell! I'm waiting for mine (I keep saying mine, but it's not it's my husband's!) to be assessed, took us 9 months to finally submit our application :scared:

Just hope we pass it now!

Good luck
Old May 23rd 2006, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by djfbug
It was a nightmare for me retracing my apprenticeship but fortunately the firm is still in existance and gave me a great reference.... and today the TRA said.............................................. .......YES!!!!!!!!!!! Am I gonna have a few tonight

Congrats!!!! the firm Paul served his apprentiship with, is the one he works for now, it's just 2 inbetween, and sorting out 6 years worth of self-employed paper work as well
Never mind think of us writing away while your in the PUB !!!!!!!! Congrats again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.