Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TRA help please.

TRA help please.

Old Nov 29th 2006, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

Steph1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile TRA help please.

Hello, I amk brand new to this site and brand new to the idea of moving to Australia so any advise and help would be greatly appreciated.

DH is about to apply for his TRA as he is an engineer. Do we just need him to do this or should I apply aswell and would I need this for the Visa or to work in Australia or both? I am a Management Accountant btw.

It is all so confusing so thanks for any answers.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 3:29 pm
The Master of Disaster

iceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really nice
Default Re: TRA help please.

Originally Posted by Steph1977
Hello, I amk brand new to this site and brand new to the idea of moving to Australia so any advise and help would be greatly appreciated.

DH is about to apply for his TRA as he is an engineer. Do we just need him to do this or should I apply aswell and would I need this for the Visa or to work in Australia or both? I am a Management Accountant btw.

It depends on whether you are trying to claim the extra points for you having met the requirements as well. If he is the main applicant you would still have work rights (dependent on visa type). What type of engineer is he?
Old Nov 29th 2006, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by iceman
It depends on whether you are trying to claim the extra points for you having met the requirements as well. If he is the main applicant you would still have work rights (dependent on visa type). What type of engineer is he?
Thanks for replying. He is an Electrical and Mechanical Engineer. I don't think we need the extra points as his Uncle is sponsoring us so we have enough but would it make our case more favourable if we proved that I had something to offer too?
Old Nov 29th 2006, 3:38 pm
The Master of Disaster

iceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really nice

Thanks for replying. He is an Electrical and Mechanical Engineer. I don't think we need the extra points as his Uncle is sponsoring us so we have enough but would it make our case more favourable if we proved that I had something to offer too?
Not that I am aware. If you have the points from him then should make no difference unless you want skills recognition yourself later to enable you to get a job etc
Old Nov 29th 2006, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

JulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of lightJulesM is a glorious beacon of light

I would only use your skills if you need the extra points as it's a lot of work for you to do otherwise (masses of paperwork required). I applied for a 136 visa (I'm an accountant) but we didn't need my husband's extra points so didn't use his occupation. I've been told that having a PR visa means we can do anything we like when we get there (open our own business, work for somebody else etc...).
Old Nov 29th 2006, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by iceman
Not that I am aware. If you have the points from him then should make no difference unless you want skills recognition yourself later to enable you to get a job etc
Okay, thanks very much.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

scoobie is just really nicescoobie is just really nicescoobie is just really nicescoobie is just really nicescoobie is just really nicescoobie is just really nicescoobie is just really nicescoobie is just really nice

hi Steph
I am a Electrical/mechanical engineer and had enough points to go through the visa process and decided not to put the OH through the TRA. if you decide to do it its only more money for TRA for two assessments
and your OH will have to reapply to TRA when in oz for his licence??
another $300
the choice is your but i wouldn't bother personally

hope it helps

Steve
Old Nov 29th 2006, 7:20 pm

Simba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, I am also an electrical engineer and was able to get enough points on my own so did not need OH to get any.
Check out the MODL list as electrical trade is listed but mechanical is not so if he's got enough electrical qualifications go for the general electrician trade 4311-11 this will get you extra points and faster processing of TRA (4 weeks) and the visa (9 months).
We are going on 136 MODL visa, if you can go for a 136 visa then you will get PR this is better than a sponsored visa which more limited.

For MODL list See http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...-in-demand.htm

Good Luck
Old Nov 30th 2006, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Thanks to everyone for your answers. Sorry, but I have another question. When we are in Oz (based on my husbands points) would I then have to apply for a TRA in order to get a job?
Old Nov 30th 2006, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everyone for your answers. Sorry, but I have another question. When we are in Oz (based on my husbands points) would I then have to apply for a TRA in order to get a job?

Hi

Take a look at this http://jobguide.thegoodguides.com.au...TOKEN=57894233

If you scroll to the bottom you will see state specific requirements, follow the link to find out what you need to do to work in your field over here.

For your hubby, he will need to apply for a licence to work over here. You can get more info on that from this part of the forum.

He will need to have an assessment once he gets here, so keep a copy of everything you send to the TRA to resubmit when you get here, all you'll need then is another up to date reference to put with it. The assessment he has when he gets here is now free of charge.

Also don't forget that you need to send everything you sent to the TRA to DIMA, so get three or four copies of everything

If you need any more help with your hubby's part just yell and I'll help all I can.