Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TRA advice for Plasterers

TRA advice for Plasterers

Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

skyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud of
Default TRA advice for Plasterers

Fibrous Plastering in Oz is Taping and jointing to those in the UK.

I applied as a Solid Plasterer with the relevant job code. Included in my application was my NVQ certs, references from all former employers and current employer stating I am a "Plasterer" and all listed the tasks I carry/carried out on a daily basis as said "Plasterer".

In my job description I stated that amongst other things I had scrimmed joints,filled holes etc in plasterboard's as that was part of my job too as a Plasterer. In 1 of my references from an employer it also stated I had done the aforementioned.

Now I would say as a Plasterer "taping and jointing" consisted of about 2% of my work schedule per year.

I was well chuffed though when I passed the TRA this week but as a Fibrous Plasterer and not Solid Plasterer even though on the form I stipulated Solid with the relevant job code and from all the info in my application it was obvious I am a Solid Plasterer.

I emailed TRA to explain everything and received the following back :

When assessing an application we rely on the evidence supplied by the
applicant to determine their level of skill and equivalent occupation in
Australia. Your NVQ was noted. Your employers statements were good,
however, most just stated that you are a plasterer. One occupation
(solid or fibrous plasterer) was not standing out. Then I got to the
statement covering your employment at xxxxx as a trainee. This
statement and others such as xxxxxx made a good case for you as a
fibrous plasterer. So, based on your evidence you were assessed as an
fibrous plasterer.

Please feel free to submit a review as per the instructions on your
"accept letter". TRA's current policy is that reviews are based solely
on the original application. No new evidence can be taken into account
during a review. The only way to submit new evidence is to re-apply with
a new application.

Just thought I would post this to any future Plasterers about to submit their TRA application.

As for me, "well don't fix what ain't broken" I say. Solid/Fibrous don't matter to me, onwards and upwards, no review will be submitted.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 9:02 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: TRA advice for Plasterers

That's just it; if you're sorted and they like you, then who cares what it says on the tin?

Congratulations, and best of luck with everything!
Old Aug 24th 2005, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

wallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant futurewallabyWannabe has a brilliant future
Default Re: TRA advice for Plasterers

Originally Posted by skyblue

I applied as a Solid Plasterer with the relevant job code. Included in my application was my NVQ certs, references from all former employers and current employer stating I am a "Plasterer" and all listed the tasks I carry/carried out on a daily basis as said "Plasterer".

In my job description I stated that amongst other things I had scrimmed joints,filled holes etc in plasterboard's as that was part of my job too as a Plasterer. In 1 of my references from an employer it also stated I had done the aforementioned.

Now I would say as a Plasterer "taping and jointing" consisted of about 2% of my work schedule per year.

I was well chuffed though when I passed the TRA this week but as a Fibrous Plasterer and not Solid Plasterer even though on the form I stipulated Solid with the relevant job code and from all the info in my application it was obvious I am a Solid Plasterer.

fibrous plasterer.

a new application.

Just thought I would post this to any future Plasterers about to submit their TRA application.

As for me, "well don't fix what ain't broken" I say. Solid/Fibrous don't matter to me, onwards and upwards, no review will be submitted.

Congratulations on passing the TRA! Hope you succeed as a plasterer in any shape or form down under! we passed ours this week too, and we are just happy with a yes after the effort put in to apply!
Good luck with the rest of it all.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

skyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud of

cheers, my sentiments exactly.

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
That's just it; if you're sorted and they like you, then who cares what it says on the tin?

Congratulations, and best of luck with everything!
Old Aug 25th 2005, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

well done to you too. Feeling pleased as we did it without employing an agent.

Originally Posted by wallabyWannabe
Congratulations on passing the TRA! Hope you succeed as a plasterer in any shape or form down under! we passed ours this week too, and we are just happy with a yes after the effort put in to apply!
Good luck with the rest of it all.
Old Aug 25th 2005, 9:58 am
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

fibrous plasterer.

a new application.

We are just waiting for our TRA result as solid plasterer!
Its been 6 weeks 3 days since ack how long did yours take!

Well done for passing!

Kris
Old Aug 25th 2005, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

clanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to all

WELL DONE FOR PASSING!!!!!

BUT WELL CAN I ASK A FEW WE Q.s

DID YOU DO IT YOURSELF?
and can you give any pointers.....just sbout to submit mine and well i am wondering if i have enough
Old Aug 25th 2005, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Kris,

1 month 25 days

Originally Posted by kris maynard
We are just waiting for our TRA result as solid plasterer!
Its been 6 weeks 3 days since ack how long did yours take!

Well done for passing!

Kris
Old Aug 25th 2005, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

yes we did it ourselves, you a plasterer too ?

Originally Posted by clanwylie
WELL DONE FOR PASSING!!!!!

BUT WELL CAN I ASK A FEW WE Q.s

DID YOU DO IT YOURSELF?
and can you give any pointers.....just sbout to submit mine and well i am wondering if i have enough
Old Aug 25th 2005, 5:28 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

Kris,

1 month 25 days
Was that recently?
OMG we must be close please let them say YES

Cheers

Kris x
Old Aug 25th 2005, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

27th june - 22nd August

timelines here

Originally Posted by kris maynard
Was that recently?
OMG we must be close please let them say YES

Cheers

Kris x
Old Aug 25th 2005, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

clanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to all

yes i am a plasterer....and applying for solid plasterer aswell!
But it is just the ...have i got enough info as i dont want to fail and i am doing it myself :scared:
Old Aug 25th 2005, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

midge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant future

HI, my hubby is a fibrous plasterer, but doesnt have any formal qualifications, we failed the TRA because of this and no evidence of work experience. Just wondering how you got your NVQ and how long it took you, he has been doing stud paritions and suspended ceilings for 20 years now, but we are stuck because all former employees are deceased, getting an NVQ may be our only hope.

fibrous plasterer.

a new application.

Old Aug 26th 2005, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

I will dig the copies of my TRA stuff out later and send u a PM to give you some idea of what is sufficient.

Originally Posted by clanwylie
yes i am a plasterer....and applying for solid plasterer aswell!
But it is just the ...have i got enough info as i dont want to fail and i am doing it myself :scared:
Old Aug 26th 2005, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

Did you put in the statutary declaration that all former employers were deceased and if they are no longer trading you need to get proof from companies house?

When I started out Plastering I never went day release to school. Years later I took 6 months off work to do a full time plastering course which took about 5-6 months.

I think If you can prove the 20 years experience you won't need the NVQ.

Regards,
Ian

Originally Posted by midge04
HI, my hubby is a fibrous plasterer, but doesnt have any formal qualifications, we failed the TRA because of this and no evidence of work experience. Just wondering how you got your NVQ and how long it took you, he has been doing stud paritions and suspended ceilings for 20 years now, but we are stuck because all former employees are deceased, getting an NVQ may be our only hope.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.