Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Toyota Echo- Maxpaxx? Go Bananas?

Toyota Echo- Maxpaxx? Go Bananas?

Old Nov 2nd 2004, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road
Default Toyota Echo- Maxpaxx? Go Bananas?

Hi guys
Have just done a search and found that you guys have got a Toyota Echo. I have test driven a Yaris here and would like to get an Echo there.
Am pleased that you have one - has it been good to you? Do you reccommend it? I am planning to buy a new one as the second hand ones hold their value. I need it for Dec - would I need to order one now before I go ( maxpaxx?) Any tips on where to buy what to look out for? They are doing some great deals of 13990 for a new one!
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 10:34 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toyota Echo- Maxpaxx? Go Bananas?

Originally Posted by salonit
Hi guys
Have just done a search and found that you guys have got a Toyota Echo. I have test driven a Yaris here and would like to get an Echo there.
Am pleased that you have one - has it been good to you? Do you reccommend it? I am planning to buy a new one as the second hand ones hold their value. I need it for Dec - would I need to order one now before I go ( maxpaxx?) Any tips on where to buy what to look out for? They are doing some great deals of 13990 for a new one!
The Yaris/Echo is one of the best small cars around plus you get that Toyota quality.
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 2:27 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys
Is that 13990 on the road? What extras does that include? Ordering now would make haggling a bit hard.

Avoid the baby poo coloured one. :scared:
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

graham__smith has a spectacular aura aboutgraham__smith has a spectacular aura aboutgraham__smith has a spectacular aura about

13990 is before government charges and dealer delivery.
I bought one for our arrival in perth from Melville Toyota in Perth
I contacted them through www.discountnewcars.com.au
Ask whoever you deal with for the driveaway price.
We paid 18000 for the five door mode in pewter mettalic 1.3litre
The dealer quoted 18500.
I offered 17500
We agreed on 18000 all via email.
Its a good little car and the boot holds a fair bit when you tip the back seat up.
It took all the luggage we emigrated with (double baggage for two people)
$37 dollars fills the tank and does me all week.
Havent clocked the fuel consumption, but I travel from butler to bayswater and back each weekday (50 mins each way) and use the car at weekends and I only fill up once a week.
If its not WA your moving to it will probably be cheaper as the WA government is one of the higher charging states for government fees.
The West Australian reported that some people are flying to Darwin and buying a new car. Then driving it back, saving thousands of dollars.

Hope this helps.
Graham
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 11:39 am
Go Banana's !!

Hi guys

Just spotted this!!

Yes a good buy, which we did with Melville Toyota over the net while we where still in the UK.

Very economical to run, fill it up for $35 and that lasts me two weeks and as you will see from my diary I don't sit at home all day!! Cheap to service too. Very nippy, does great do-nuts :scared: just ask Maggy and co

Check out what the spec is thoroughly. I had a Yaris in the UK (before the Merc long story) and the UK one has a computer that tells you fuel econ, temp etc, the Oz ones don't come with it, even the top spec ones. I have the Sportivo one all singing all dancing and it still feels fairly basic inside. I yearn for my Merc back, but that is not a fair comparison (everyone is so sick of me going on about it) The echo "does exactly what is says on the tin".

A very good buy

Good luck

Jill

Old Nov 3rd 2004, 12:54 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys

Hiya - was wondering what happened to you - still planning on coming North?

The Echo is a fab little car - also got a 5 door vvti. Don't know about the basic one but mine is great - mystic blue (called ice blue in UK) is a really unusual colour and I think it looks good. Mind you I only think it's great cause I won't have it long hopefully. Ed got a lovely Jeep today and that will be my car eventually when he gets a new one....

Domenic at Melville will sort you out a deal. You would want to order it before you arrive - only $500 deposit. Can't see the problem with doing that - you wouldn't see it until it was delivered if it was in the UK anyway - but sure there are those who disagree

Drop us a line when you get here. We are loving it met some great people and getting really settled.

Max x
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 8:11 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

I had a Yaris until 01.10.04, boo hoo hoo! Sold it in preparation for our move to Oz. Will definitely check out the Echo when we arrive.
Sarah
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

We too have an echo.

As stated above about 35 dollars to fill, i get around 560 klms before filling up again. Handy if you drive back and forward to the city everyday. Fill up once a week / six or seven work days. Nice car to drive, air con ( the guy at motorama said " mate, you're in queensland now, air con is pretty much standard " ) tinted windows, nippy etc etc.

1999 model cost us 10000 ( must have seen us get off the train lol ).
Also, whilst sat in stationary traffic a few weeks ago on the inner city bypass in the middle lane, the car behind me decided to move into the left lane because it was still moving. he turned his wheel, checked over his shoulder and proceeded to floor the gas. Not realising the wheel wasn't turned quite far enough he shot forward into the near side rear of our shiny 6 week old ( for us anyway ) car. knocked my sunnies off the top of my head into the back seats wasn't happy.

Took the next slip road and inspected the damage, his headlight was gone and several dents. The echo, one very small dent and half a dozen scratches along the bumper.
For such a small car i was really chuffed.Though i didn't let it show

Paul
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road

hi all,

Thank you all for your input - really appreciate it! will definitely get an echo when I get to Perth!

glad to hear you are all happy with it - with the price and reliability you cant go that far wrong!

will get in touch when we get to Perth !
Maxxpaxx have u moved to Iluka now?
Old Nov 10th 2004, 2:28 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all,

Thank you all for your input - really appreciate it! will definitely get an echo when I get to Perth!

glad to hear you are all happy with it - with the price and reliability you cant go that far wrong!

will get in touch when we get to Perth !
Maxxpaxx have u moved to Iluka now?
Hi- sorry didn't see this before...too busy as usual!

Sadly not moving to 'nice' house until next year.

We have bought another place in Merriwa and have just finished the inside and now sorting out the garden! Plan to rent this out when we move to Iluka. Merriwa is too far up really for us but it's ok as a stop gap and nice people close to the shops and stuff.

Where are you planning to go? I remember you liked Mindarie - lovely place but again a little too far for us - it's not much but just adds that little too much on your journey if you go to town or something.

Max x
Old Nov 10th 2004, 2:38 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: Toyota Echo- Maxpaxx? Go Bananas?

We have a Yaris here in the UK. While we were out in Oz this year, we also hired an Echo. The Yaris seems to be high spec finish in the UK... the Echo seemed a bit rough around the edges in comparison.... Will be sad to sell our Yaris before we leave!!! Nice little car