Reload this Page >

Townsville vs Gold Coast ? ! ?

Townsville vs Gold Coast ? ! ?

Old Jan 20th 2012, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

kevzone will become famous soon enough
Default Townsville vs Gold Coast ? ! ?

Hey Guys

I have lived in Townsville for the last 7 years and I'm getting itchy feet, which is a bit of curse for all of us who have sat on the other side of the fence....i'm sure.

I am interested in the opinion of anyone who has lived or has been to either places, as my wife and I are thinking of seeing if the grass is greener south of Brisvegas. We have 2 kids under 7, which is the main reason we stay in oz and I am not sure if the Gold Coast is the right choice?

Much appreciated in advanced.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice
Default Re: Townsville vs Gold Coast ? ! ?

I`ve only visited Townsville for work a few times, Though I found nothing to put me off the place. I find the Goldcoast rather good for kids. We`ve got a 10 and 13 year old. Huge choice of beaches, Amusement parks, Park land and Hinterland rain forrest walks(ok the boys don`t go a bundle on them but I like them). That said I live in a quietish suburb which is only arguably Goldcoast itself(Though Its under GCCC). I find it a happy medium with good state schools and good access to the GC and Brisbane. And should you want to head down to NSW its not far drive either.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

I live in Townsville too. I have an 11yr old daughter. We moved to Townsville because this is where my husband is from and where his elderly mother was. She passed away a couple of months ago and therefore, technically ending ties to the place, there is really no reason to stay here now. If it wasn't for the fact that we have bought a block of land and plan to start building within the next few weeks, I would pick up and move near Brisbane. Anyway, for the moment (or probably many years!!!), we are here and I think Townsville is a good place for our daughter to grow up, its not too big nor too small.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

Visited Townsville and lived in Gold Coast, Pros and cons for both but it depends what the individual wants. Townsvile a bit isolated but probably would have suited my needs best in regards to size and population. Gold Coast is a beautiful place with loads of things to do, a litle cooler than Townsville. More people live there and for me too many tourists, property is expensive. A place to visit and pass through and not to live, my opinion.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garyp
Visited Townsville and lived in Gold Coast, Pros and cons for both but it depends what the individual wants. Townsvile a bit isolated but probably would have suited my needs best in regards to size and population. Gold Coast is a beautiful place with loads of things to do, a litle cooler than Townsville. More people live there and for me too many tourists, property is expensive. A place to visit and pass through and not to live, my opinion.
I've lived on the Gold Coast for 4 1/2 years and the only tourists I've ever seen have been in Surfers or at the theme parks! You certainly don't come across them in your normal daily life
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by curly
I've lived on the Gold Coast for 4 1/2 years and the only tourists I've ever seen have been in Surfers or at the theme parks! You certainly don't come across them in your normal daily life
Maybe its because I was living too near the theme parks and the motorway. I am sure the tourists go to other beaches apart from surfers thouigh, I did when I was a tourist.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 8:46 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garyp
Maybe its because I was living too near the theme parks and the motorway. I am sure the tourists go to other beaches apart from surfers thouigh, I did when I was a tourist.
I'd say Main, Surfers, Broadbeach, Burleigh and Coolie. The others, from what I've noticed and I've not studied it too hard you understand, tend to be locals. Mind you, there'll be sod all down there today!
Old Feb 10th 2012, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the responses guys, food for thought indeed, much apreciated.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 8:10 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skinnygeorge
I`ve only visited Townsville for work a few times, Though I found nothing to put me off the place. I find the Goldcoast rather good for kids. We`ve got a 10 and 13 year old. Huge choice of beaches, Amusement parks, Park land and Hinterland rain forrest walks(ok the boys don`t go a bundle on them but I like them). That said I live in a quietish suburb which is only arguably Goldcoast itself(Though Its under GCCC). I find it a happy medium with good state schools and good access to the GC and Brisbane. And should you want to head down to NSW its not far drive either.
Yup, the hinterland areas are very nice and not at all touristy.

The northern NSW scenery is even better for my money.

From what I've heard from people who have lived in Townsville, one for most of her life, the GC is a good option if you pick somewhere off the beaten track, doesn't have to be far either.

For kids I would imagine there is a lot more to offer them down here, and not just the theme parks.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Yup, the hinterland areas are very nice and not at all touristy.

The northern NSW scenery is even better for my money.

From what I've heard from people who have lived in Townsville, one for most of her life, the GC is a good option if you pick somewhere off the beaten track, doesn't have to be far either.

For kids I would imagine there is a lot more to offer them down here, and not just the theme parks.
After much debate and deliberation my wife and I are thinking of working in Mackay or Yeppoon, where the money seems to be for a couple of years and then head further south....
Funny though we said that about Townsville 7 years ago LOL but life has it's own agenda..
Old Feb 19th 2012, 9:35 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevzone
After much debate and deliberation my wife and I are thinking of working in Mackay or Yeppoon, where the money seems to be for a couple of years and then head further south....
Funny though we said that about Townsville 7 years ago LOL but life has it's own agenda..
Indeed it does, there are no bad choices just different experiences, hope the move works out for you.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 10:03 am
Love Machine

lumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of lightlumpommer is a glorious beacon of light

A hard choice dullsville or a place you have to arm your self

I much prefer Coffs harbour and Mutton bird island
Old Feb 19th 2012, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

I guess the real question for most expats, living in Australia is lifestyle choice vs boarding the money train, which is usually in an industrial based town....

Old May 29th 2012, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

ordinaru is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I would like to ask those of you who have studied in Townsville, what is the job market like? I have received an offer from JCU, I can afford to pay the study fees (I am permanent resident so that I am offered a Commonwealth supported place), however I would need to find employment in order to support myself. I am Eastern European, so that I don't speak English as good as a native, but I think I can manage pretty well. I was thinking about hospitality jobs, maybe some construction work (general labor). What do you think about the job prospects, is the current situation good or bad?