Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Towing a boat - car question

Towing a boat - car question

Old Mar 19th 2007, 10:16 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Towing a boat - car question

Hi

If I'm going to plan ahead and buy a car capable of towing a boat, what would be the capability of the car I would need?

Can anyone advise me about the actual weight of different types of boat?

The three cars I am currently considering are -

Mitsubishi Outlander - 1500kg trailer with brakes
Hyundai Santa Fe - 2000kg trailer with brakes
Nissan Pathfinder - 3000kg trailer with brakes

But - how big a boat do these weights actually represent?

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Buzzy
Old Mar 19th 2007, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Towing a boat - car question

We have a Honda CRV (2.4Lt) and a Prado and a 5.1m Coastrunner and both drag it along effortlessly in fact the CRV tows it most of the time. (Boat, tailer and engine are at shade over 800kg) Unless you are buying something 5.50m plus or fibreglass such as a big Haines all your choice vehicles will handle it easily. Anything greater than 2000 Kg you should be seriously looking at a mooring as getting it on and off the trailer will be akin to pyramid construction
Old Mar 19th 2007, 11:25 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hi

If I'm going to plan ahead and buy a car capable of towing a boat, what would be the capability of the car I would need?

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Buzzy
Bear in mind the Pathfinder is the only one with 'real' 4wd and lockable transfer case if you do get into any dificulty pulling it out of somewhere. Also, (and I know I'm a bit biased) you might find the actual weight and stability of the Nissan a bit better if you're going to stick a big lump on the back of it. The Outlander and Santa Fe might get a bit too much sway if you go towards the top end of your towing weight range.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 11:39 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 232Bar
Bear in mind the Pathfinder is the only one with 'real' 4wd and lockable transfer case if you do get into any dificulty pulling it out of somewhere. Also, (and I know I'm a bit biased) you might find the actual weight and stability of the Nissan a bit better if you're going to stick a big lump on the back of it. The Outlander and Santa Fe might get a bit too much sway if you go towards the top end of your towing weight range.
Thanks mate, I am pretty sold on the Pathfinder but I have to take Mrs Buzzy's opinions into account too as she'll be the one mainly driving it!

I think she mentioned something about the wrong colour...... (takes cover behind winch mounting).

Buzzy
Old Mar 19th 2007, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks mate, I am pretty sold on the Pathfinder but I have to take Mrs Buzzy's opinions into account too as she'll be the one mainly driving it!

I think she mentioned something about the wrong colour...... (takes cover behind winch mounting).

Buzzy
How about adding a Patrol to the mix?
Old Mar 19th 2007, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

we pulled a 21 foot bayliner (2050 capri)with a vauxhal cavalier for a while only had a problem when on sandy slipways
we will buy a mitshibusi triton shortly after we arrive on the sunshine coast
they seem to tick all the boxes for us
Old Mar 19th 2007, 2:11 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by marco121068
How about adding a Patrol to the mix?
Not as good for us as the Pathfinder - I have test driven both. Prefer the Pathfinder as this will be used a lot for a family car.

Buzzy
Old Mar 26th 2007, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Not as good for us as the Pathfinder - I have test driven both. Prefer the Pathfinder as this will be used a lot for a family car.

Buzzy
One thing to think about (or not) is service intervals. I was very p****d off when I found out our X Trail's service interval is 10,000km! It's not even a diesel!
Old Mar 26th 2007, 8:16 am
Victorian Evangelist

Yes I agree. The Pathfinders service interval in the UK is every 2 years or 25,000 miles, whichever is first.

I have heard that this is due to the Ozzie fuel not being such good quality. Can anyone confirm/deny this or suggest another reason?

Thanks

Buzzy
Old Mar 26th 2007, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by marco121068
One thing to think about (or not) is service intervals. I was very p****d off when I found out our X Trail's service interval is 10,000km! It's not even a diesel!
Yep same here. total con, yes it is cheap to service , but you have to do it twice as often. The same engine is 20000k service in the UK.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

hi buzzy how you going, my boss has a walkaround its fiberglass and about 7 or 8 meters long (we had a dive in the bay off it last wedensday) he pulls the thing around with a holdon frontara 4x4 long wheel base. he had to have electric braking fitted to the trailer the boat weighs 2.5 ton with trailer.

hope this helps.

rob & marie.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 10:38 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by robert cowan
hi buzzy how you going, my boss has a walkaround its fiberglass and about 7 or 8 meters long (we had a dive in the bay off it last wedensday) he pulls the thing around with a holdon frontara 4x4 long wheel base. he had to have electric braking fitted to the trailer the boat weighs 2.5 ton with trailer.

hope this helps.

rob & marie.
Thanks Rob, thanks very helpful. I can sort of visualise the weight of a boat now! I'm going to buy a Pathfinder which will tow 3000kg on a braked trailer (although whether I will be able to afford a boat after buying that will be a moot point...), anyway, no harm in forward planning!

See you guys soon

Buzzy
Old Mar 26th 2007, 11:57 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gjn200
Yep same here. total con, yes it is cheap to service , but you have to do it twice as often. The same engine is 20000k service in the UK.
I would still change the oil every 5000k though.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:04 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that post buzzy, was was thinking the same thing.

I have just got the boat bug, but OH says we have to wait a few years for the kids to get over the jumping over the side stage

Seem to be some nice sail boats on the trading post, but I'm not sure If I want a sail or power. I guess a tinny will be nice and light, easy to get out the water and tow.

Hi

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Buzzy
Old Mar 27th 2007, 10:29 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robert cowan

hope this helps.

rob & marie.
any trailer which is heavier than 750kgs needs brakes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.