Tourist visa

Old Nov 20th 2004, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

gogi79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tourist visa

Helloo everyoe ,
I wonder if I can open a bank account in Australia ,while I am on a tourist visa ??
Old Nov 20th 2004, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tourist visa

Originally Posted by gogi79
Helloo everyoe ,
I wonder if I can open a bank account in Australia ,while I am on a tourist visa ??

Short answer...no.
Old Nov 20th 2004, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ushas
Short answer...no.
OHH :scared: but Thanx for the quick reply
Old Nov 20th 2004, 3:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Short answer...no.
Although there may be ways and means - My fiance and I managed to open one for me while I was on a tourist visa, he had to vouch for me and they opened it in anticipation of me migrating here to marry him. I could only get an Aus ATM card so couldn't withdraw money in the UK (not that I wanted to), but they did allow my internet access so I could move money regularly from my UK account.
Guess it depends why you want it, and whether you intend coming back to stay.
Old Nov 20th 2004, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Although there may be ways and means - My fiance and I managed to open one for me while I was on a tourist visa, he had to vouch for me and they opened it in anticipation of me migrating here to marry him. I could only get an Aus ATM card so couldn't withdraw money in the UK (not that I wanted to), but they did allow my internet access so I could move money regularly from my UK account.
Thanx alot pollyana for ur reply ,I need it to get an Aus ATM card so I hope it will work .
Old Nov 20th 2004, 3:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

An Australian ATM card should work in the UK, although it will attract charges as a 'foreign' transaction.

Jeremy
Old Nov 20th 2004, 3:41 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Helloo everyoe ,
Why would you *want* a bank account in Australia if only on a tourist visa?

Jeremy
Old Nov 20th 2004, 3:52 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy
LOL could almost see the brain cogs clicking round then - answer the question then think... why!
Old Nov 20th 2004, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy
Well , I know that my credit cards will not work there ,and I dont want to carry alot of cash with me everywhere ,and I might stay for 3 months or more .
Old Nov 20th 2004, 4:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

Well , I know that my credit cards will not work there ,
Why do you think your credit cards won't work?
If your bank participates in the Cirrus or Plus networks, you should be able to access cash from your bank account through Australian ATMs.

What country are you from?

and I dont want to carry alot of cash with me everywhere,
Have you thought of travellers cheques?

and I might stay for 3 months or more .
You need to have the right visa to do that, and be given the necessary permission on arrival.

Jeremy
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 9:49 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Well , I know that my credit cards will not work there ,and I dont want to carry alot of cash with me everywhere ,and I might stay for 3 months or more .
Your credit cards will work in Australia, and you'll be able to use them to withdraw money from automatic cash machines (look for the Cirrus logo on the back, for example). The problem you'll have to think about is how you are going to organise for the bills to be paid when the credit card accounts arrive at your address back home. The easiest way would probably be to give the job to a trusted friend or family member, but you ought to be able to arrange for automatic payment before you go. American Express makes it easy to pay their card bills from abroad, but with the 'ordinary' cards (Visa and MasterCard) it is more difficult to do this.
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Qui~Gon is an unknown quantity at this point

Helloo everyoe ,
Yes you can at this bank Citi bank its for backpackers but I beleive anyone can open an account I'm thinking of it as I will be spending around 6 months there with may rel's .

Trying to save money on bank commisions
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 12:03 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Short answer...no.
I've opened an Australian bank account with a tourist visa.

In fact, I don't even think they were interested in what sort of visa I had.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by renth
I've opened an Australian bank account with a tourist visa.

In fact, I don't even think they were interested in what sort of visa I had.
Thanx alot guys for ur help ,cpw ,qui gon ,and renth if u could remeber the banks name I would be grateful to know it
Thanx alot
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 8:58 am
Professional Princess

Short answer...no.
I opened one on a tourist visa.

Spent 6 weeks in Oz last year and opened one with Australia bank.

Dont know if things have changed though, this was a year ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.