Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tourist Rip off or Tip off ...

Tourist Rip off or Tip off ...

Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:52 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Tourist Rip off or Tip off ...

Thought this would make a nice idea for a thread. Like everywhere else on earth, there are things to do here in Oz which are bargains and things to do which are a monumental rip-off. So - please add yours - one from column A and one from column B.

Mine are:

Rip off
: The Sydney Harbour bridge climb. Nearly 300 bucks at the best times - and you can't even take your bloody camera with you. Unreal.
Tip off: Don't go on a crappy harbour cruise on one of those huge boats, instead do the harbour tour on a little yellow water taxi. Costs about a quarter of the price, lasts longer, is more entertaining and they'll take you to other spots if you ask.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:02 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tourist Rip off or Tip off ...

Tip off - don't do the bridge climb do the Pylon on the bridge (the stone bits) great views a fraction of the price.
Rip Off - Buying any stuff from airport or grand tourist shops for example at the rocks in sydney, all the crapola you want is available from cheapo shops just off the main drags at a fraction of the price or head to paddys markets buy in bulk.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Thought this would make a nice idea for a thread. Like everywhere else on earth, there are things to do here in Oz which are bargains and things to do which are a monumental rip-off. So - please add yours - one from column A and one from column B.

Mine are:

Rip off
: The Sydney Harbour bridge climb. Nearly 300 bucks at the best times - and you can't even take your bloody camera with you. Unreal.
Tip off: Don't go on a crappy harbour cruise on one of those huge boats, instead do the harbour tour on a little yellow water taxi. Costs about a quarter of the price, lasts longer, is more entertaining and they'll take you to other spots if you ask.
Tip off: Botanical Gardens in Brisbane, lovely and free.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Tip off: Kings Park in Perth is free and has the best views of the city
Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:25 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Tip off: Botanical Gardens in Brisbane, lovely and free.
They made me look good in my wedding photos
Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Tip off - Am I allowed two? Mt Cootha in Brisbane, preferably at sunrise or sunset. There's a cafe at the top, amusing bird life and bush walks as well as an awesome view of the city.
The Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary in Brisbane - You could spend a lot of money here if you get your photo taken with everything, but we thought it was worth every minute. Very hands on experience of wildlife - hug a koala, feed a kangaroo, handle snakes and crocs, watch a stunning bird show. If you like you can travel from the centre of town on a ferry and the price includes admission.

Rip off - Not really money wise, but we were disappointed because twice we turned up to go through the submarine at the Maritime Museum in Fremantle and twice we were turned away. Even though the second time it was the last tour of the day they wouldn't budge to take two extra people. You need to book, or turn up early.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
They made me look good in my wedding photos
The trees?
Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kiwinow
If you like you can travel from the centre of town on a ferry and the price includes admission.

Cheaper still if you just stowaway! Ahar!
Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:51 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
The trees?
Yep, i've always looked good next to tree's
Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Tip Rainforests - free, amazing, educational, peaceful, some absolute stunner's around SEqld.

rip offs - most restaurants and quite a few taverns. $35 for a piece of exotically named cod, or a tiny steak 6 chips and a garnish sized salad.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:57 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

Rip off: The Sydney Harbour bridge climb. Nearly 300 bucks at the best times - and you can't even take your bloody camera with you. Unreal.

I will NEVER understand why everyone who visits Australia wants to climb the stupid bridge!!

It always amazes me when guests come from overseas and they happily spend half their budget on such an uncomfortable activity.

Plus it's so often rainy, windy and cold in Sydney that whenever I see people up there they are about to drown or be blown away.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 2:01 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Rip Off - I'm going to nominate Movie World (Dream world not much better).

Last time I went after 2 hours we were bored stiff. For what they charge, they really provide very little compared to their US equivalents. Having paid $65 to get in they still sting you for a few minutes locker rental when going on a ride.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 2:02 am
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Mine are:

Rip off
I can't agree rip off to the harbour bridge climb, yes I agree it's a lot of money however I've done it a few times now at different times of the days, and I have to say I have loved it. Also walked up the pylons which is good, but something about standing on an amazing piece of engineering, I really appreciate it.

Tip, Manly Ferry or ferry to Watsons Bay. Another tip for a great view of Sydney, bus to Vaclaus stop at the park and look down on Sydney
Old Aug 28th 2008, 2:06 am
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SNH
I will NEVER understand why everyone who visits Australia wants to climb the stupid bridge!!

It always amazes me when guests come from overseas and they happily spend half their budget on such an uncomfortable activity.

Plus it's so often rainy, windy and cold in Sydney that whenever I see people up there they are about to drown or be blown away.
I have never blown half my budget on the bridge climb. As a tourist, last time dollar to pound was 2:20 bucks to a pound, so I guess £120 pounds spent on 3 hours, it is a lot but it's not ball breaking.

In my opinion I have never found it uncomfortable just good fun, I have always been in awe of the coathanger.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Rip Off - I'm going to nominate Movie World (Dream world not much better).

Last time I went after 2 hours we were bored stiff. For what they charge, they really provide very little compared to their US equivalents. Having paid $65 to get in they still sting you for a few minutes locker rental when going on a ride.
Would second that. Movie world 2 hours tops, total rip off. I quite like wet and wild if you can get a day its hot but not too busy.

Bridge climb, we won passes to climb the brisbane bridge which has similar history to the sydney one, but if you have to pay about half the price. Kids loved it, quite educational too, was surprised at how much they enjoyed it. Mind you it was a spectacular brisbane winters day, bris looked pretty amazing, plus we really did see a dolphin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.