Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tornado hits Perth

Tornado hits Perth

Old May 17th 2005, 11:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tornado hits Perth

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
SEVERE WEATHER WARNING
for Flash Flooding and Locally Damaging Winds

Issued at 4:10 pm on Tuesday 17 May 2005

For people in the Lower West and Southwest Districts, including the Perth
Metropolitan area.
Severe thunderstorms are expected to accompany the passage of a cold front
during mid to late afternoon and evening on Wednesday. Local damaging wind
squalls to 110 km/h and flash flooding can be expected near thunderstorms.

The FESA-State Emergency Service advises that people should secure loose objects
and stay indoors when heavy rain or wind squalls approach. Boat owners should
ensure that small craft are securely moored. Driving conditions may be
hazardous. If flash flooding occurs, avoid affected roads, watercourses and
floodways until safe to proceed.
===================================

Lets hope its not as bad as the last lot......
Old May 17th 2005, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice

Sounds like you are having it rough over in Perth, stay safe all of you.

Chris
Old May 17th 2005, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

vandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by davidw
Many thanks to all for the news.

I live in Roleystone but am on a work trip to PNG. I'd be grateful if anyone has any info. regarding Roleystone or the Hills. I saw above Roley Primary was closed, many thanks for this.

Best wishes

David
Hi David, long time no hear!

Hope your ok and that your house in Roleystone is ok too.

Van
Old May 17th 2005, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sophia
hiya karen

I live in the safety bay area, we did get the wild weather too, but doesn't seem to have done as much damage as up the road for some reason. There is lots of tree debris about, but I think most of the rooves and stuff are ok. Our power was out for a while this morning but that was about all.

Kwinana council have been quite badly hit, my hubby is the IT manager there and they've sent all their staff home today as the phone and power lines are all down. Kwinana seems to have been worse hit than rockingham.

Off topic slightly...but is wind related...how come the wild weather last night has brought half of perth to a standstill this morning, but crap that has been left out for the junk collection next week is all still in little neat piles everywhere?????

love sophia xx
Thanks Sophia
Old May 18th 2005, 6:09 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

It started raining hard here now....
Doesn't seem to be any wind at all!

Argh, #^%#, should've got the flags in while they were still dry!

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
SEVERE WEATHER WARNING
for Flash Flooding and Locally Damaging Winds

Issued at 1:00 pm on Wednesday 18 May 2005

For people in the Lower West and Southwest Districts, including the Perth
Metropolitan area.
There is the risk of damaging wind gusts this afternoon and tonight. Winds may
gust to 100 km/h and flash flooding is possible in heavy rain.

The FESA-State Emergency Service advises that people should secure loose objects
and stay indoors when heavy rain or wind squalls approach. Boat owners should
ensure that small craft are securely moored. Driving conditions may be
hazardous. If flash flooding occurs, avoid affected roads, watercourses and
floodways until safe to proceed.

The next warning will be issued by 4pm.
Old May 18th 2005, 6:13 am

DIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking about you guys................stay safe
Old May 18th 2005, 6:22 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

looks like the southern suburbs are getting the worst of it again(if this is the worst it's going to get...)
http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR123.loop.shtml
Old May 18th 2005, 6:28 am
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Simone
looks like the southern suburbs are getting the worst of it again(if this is the worst it's going to get...)
http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR123.loop.shtml
ooh looks nasty ( Hubby and I had some friends get married on Rottnest Island yesterday.. think they were lucky to have missed the weather front on Monday and today....

batten down those hatches in WA/Perth...
Old May 18th 2005, 7:21 am
maggy

pissin down here in Duncraig really heavy.

Siren I hope you have a long coat to wear on your way home tonight hun or you are going to get a good soaking.

xxx

Old May 18th 2005, 7:51 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maggy
pissin down here in Duncraig really heavy.

Siren I hope you have a long coat to wear on your way home tonight hun or you are going to get a good soaking.

xxx
Chucking it down in Kensington at the moment.

I was down in Secret Harbour earlier on today, checking one of our pools.
Called it a day at about 12.30 when the heavens opened.
Pissed down all the way up the freeway back to Perth as well!

From what I've seen on the BOM website, this is just the start. It's gonna get really wild later on tonight!
Old May 18th 2005, 10:09 am
maggy

Originally Posted by Scossie
Chucking it down in Kensington at the moment.

I was down in Secret Harbour earlier on today, checking one of our pools.
Called it a day at about 12.30 when the heavens opened.
Pissed down all the way up the freeway back to Perth as well!

From what I've seen on the BOM website, this is just the start. It's gonna get really wild later on tonight!

Just heard on news that its going to get wild later tonight aswell.

Said to keep away from windows and stay inside.

Think I had better go and move the beds as they are all next to windows in bedroom.

Old May 18th 2005, 10:17 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Hope you guys are all ok.

I must admit when I first saw the title "Tornado hits Perth" I thought oh oh whats Maggy been up to now.
Old May 18th 2005, 10:19 am
maggy

Originally Posted by Bordy
Hope you guys are all ok.

I must admit when I first saw the title "Tornado hits Perth" I thought oh oh whats Maggy been up to now.

lol

Old May 18th 2005, 2:03 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

http://www.ema.gov.au/ema/emadisaste...2?OpenDocument

Came across this while googling for something entirely different(very strange!).

There was a tornado in Fremantle in 1999. Ripped the top story of a block of apartments off!
Old May 18th 2005, 3:03 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Well, (so far), it looks like the weather men may have been spinning us a yarn.

As I type this, I'm right in the centre of Perth.
11.02pm.
No wind.
No rain.
No storm.
Streets are drying up.

Hmmmmm...!!

The scary weather was supposed to start today in the late afternoon.
No sign of it yet.......

Hope I'm right........
Apologies if the whole city is blown away by the morning...:scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.