Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tornado hits Perth

Tornado hits Perth

Old May 16th 2005, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

NikkiGriff has a spectacular aura aboutNikkiGriff has a spectacular aura aboutNikkiGriff has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Tornado hits Perth

Hi just wondered if anyone can put my mind at rest about our relos area (Ashfield on the edge of the Swan River). Still getting my head round where each sub is in relation to another.

This is the same area we are heading for, never thought that type of weather was a real issue. Although in the words of the famous Michael Fish..."What storm?". And how wrong was he!

Thanks Nikki
Old May 16th 2005, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice

Hi,
Just read the thread about the tornado, pleased to hear you are all ok,

to Gajjit....... bet you didnt expect that in your first month in Aus...scary

Hope all your friends and family are ok and that there are no serious casualties.

Keep us informed, where are the Bananas anyone know if they are ok??

Best wishes Chris
Old May 17th 2005, 1:53 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, it's amazing there's no casualties or even seriously injured(not that I've heard).

Still haven't seen a fallen tree or anything, shows how local some of the tornado's were.
It's mostly the southern suburbs affected. Banana's are fine.

I don't know about Ashfield, but it wasn't the worst hit, that's for sure, that was Apelcross, Bicton, Kwinana, Roleystone, Bunbury.

BTw, this severe weather is not normal. Worst storm in 10 years.
Old May 17th 2005, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

Tonyonthemove is an unknown quantity at this point

Simone I didn't see much damage in Carey Park and we were being directed to the main areas of concern so hopefully the reason you can't get through is only because of damage to communications.

The worst hit areas were the CBD (Blair Street/Spencer Street) and Picton (what is it about places ending in -icton?). This is where the train station is and as you probably saw on the news the train to Perth had only bee gone 15mins when the roof was torn apart.

Thanks Pollyana, some folk need to have their heads banged together. This was my first dealings with SES, other than at fires when they sometimes help with the catering, so was oblivious to the inter-service rivalry. As moneypen20 said this isn't confined to Australian services but is something that needs addressing. I have nothing but total respect for the jobs SES, VFRS etc do, why can't eveyone else? Sorry, I haven't worn my rose tinted glasses for a while...
Old May 17th 2005, 2:45 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tonyonthemove
Simone I didn't see much damage in Carey Park and we were being directed to the main areas of concern so hopefully the reason you can't get through is only because of damage to communications.

The worst hit areas were the CBD (Blair Street/Spencer Street) and Picton (what is it about places ending in -icton?). This is where the train station is and as you probably saw on the news the train to Perth had only bee gone 15mins when the roof was torn apart.
Thanks Tony, my friend has mobile turned off too!
Ohhh, didn't hear about the trainstation yet!

Power's still out in some area's around here.
Old May 17th 2005, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

We have a guy from the Ambulance service staying with us and he was saying it was one of their quieter days, with very few cases and none serous.

We are off to Malaysia for our very belated Honeymoon on friday so I think that has come at a good time. Just hope there's no problems with the Immigration Office in Perth on thursday as I need to get the 2nd stage of my Spouse Visa put in my passport before we go.
Old May 17th 2005, 4:13 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tonyonthemove

Thanks Pollyana, some folk need to have their heads banged together. This was my first dealings with SES, other than at fires when they sometimes help with the catering, so was oblivious to the inter-service rivalry. As moneypen20 said this isn't confined to Australian services but is something that needs addressing. I have nothing but total respect for the jobs SES, VFRS etc do, why can't eveyone else? Sorry, I haven't worn my rose tinted glasses for a while...

I'm in the process of joining the volunteer bush fire brigade, I've been to 2 meetings, you need to go to three before they will sign you up and begin training. What amazed me is the aggro not just between the different branches of FESA: the SES Vs the Bush Fire Brigade etc.. but the aggro between different brigades of the same service.

I suppose it's going to happen, particularly if it is encouraged by annual fire brigade competitions and such. As long as it doesn't affect performance on the "fire front" ... see, I'm getting in to the lingo.
Old May 17th 2005, 6:09 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Good one Renth, good luck

Bits out of the paper:

Fastest wind ever at Rottnest: 142kmh (141 in 1988)

Swanbourne - 113kmh

Twister at Bicton, tornado at Melville

At the peak, 100,000 homes without power (Gosnells power still going on and off today, I know)

Century old trees ripped out at a park in Bicton, and 15m trees elsewhere.

Cathedral in Bunbury, sections had been lifted. Has cracks in it, looks like an earthquake. Some sections collapsed.

8 primary schools closed, Bicton and Roleystone closed for uncertain time.

Bunbury Hyandai: more than 2 million dollar damage. 80 of the 100 cars damaged, at least 12 are writeoffs.

Wettest May in 49 years, and we're only halfway through May.... Total is now 132.6mm, monthly average is 119mm.
More expected tomorrow.(today is nice! )

It's really bad for the economy of Bunbury, plus that builders are already swamped with the boom going on in the southwest.
Old May 17th 2005, 6:12 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone
Wettest May in 49 years, and we're only halfway through May.... Total is now 132.6mm, monthly average is 119mm.
More expected tomorrow.(today is nice! )
It's good to get the rain though, it's been a good start for the wheatbelt farmers. I'd love to see the dams overflowing like they did in the late 80's, as I'm sure most West Australians would.
Old May 17th 2005, 6:33 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally Posted by renth
It's good to get the rain though, it's been a good start for the wheatbelt farmers. I'd love to see the dams overflowing like they did in the late 80's, as I'm sure most West Australians would.
Yes, definetly!

Would be good if the Eastern states got some too!
Old May 17th 2005, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

davidw is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks to all for the news.

I live in Roleystone but am on a work trip to PNG. I'd be grateful if anyone has any info. regarding Roleystone or the Hills. I saw above Roley Primary was closed, many thanks for this.

Best wishes

David

Originally Posted by Simone
Yes, definetly!

Would be good if the Eastern states got some too!
Old May 17th 2005, 7:09 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally Posted by davidw

I live in Roleystone but am on a work trip to PNG. I'd be grateful if anyone has any info. regarding Roleystone or the Hills. I saw above Roley Primary was closed, many thanks for this.

Best wishes

David
My boss lives in Bedfordale, and his power wasn't expected to go back on till Friday, but came on this afternoon.
Gosnells I think now the power is on again too.

Roleystone was hit pretty hard, was a twister there too.

Have you got anyone over here in your house, or able to check up on it?
Old May 17th 2005, 8:08 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Ocean Reef at just after 6am - horizontal water, I wouldn't even call it rain. It was a wall of water blowing at 120kmh horizontally.

Journey to work in the car took 2 hours during which time I had to piss in to an empty water bottle - nice.
With you on that one, took me over 2 hours to get to work, ran through the door and straight into the loo. The traffic was awful, I got all the way down to the canning highway to find the road closed, sat in my car UBD on my knee looking for an alternative plan, 45 mins later got to Booragoon.

Don't fancy doing that again in a hurry.

Jenny
Old May 17th 2005, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

I'm in the process of joining the volunteer bush fire brigade, I've been to 2 meetings, you need to go to three before they will sign you up and begin training. What amazed me is the aggro not just between the different branches of FESA: the SES Vs the Bush Fire Brigade etc.. but the aggro between different brigades of the same service.

I suppose it's going to happen, particularly if it is encouraged by annual fire brigade competitions and such. As long as it doesn't affect performance on the "fire front" ... see, I'm getting in to the lingo.
Nice one mate. Thankfully there are plenty of good points that outweigh the negative aspects of inter brigade-bitching. I attended about 10 fires this season of which 4 were biggies (Bullsbrook being the biggest) and despite the long hours I always left feeling that I had accomplished something good to help others without any return other than a "thanks mate". The fact that I get to drive a 7 tonne 4x4 fire truck off road in the bush is just and added bonus
Old May 17th 2005, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by davidw

Best wishes

David

We live in Roleystone, and the damage seems to be only from trees/branches falling hence a 36hr power cut. Have not been around the whole area but yes it looks like alot of trees down and some roof damage/ car damage. Roleystone Primary had some roof damage hence the closure.

Everything now is in order and roads cleared and power restored. Another storm is forecast for tomorrow (wed) and they are not ruling out a repeat of tornadoes :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.