Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Torn between mason's and crown for removal

Wikiposts

Torn between mason's and crown for removal

Old Dec 28th 2005, 8:04 pm
still searching

woody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nice
Default Re: Torn between mason's and crown for removal

Originally Posted by worzel
I wouldn't recommend Crown. The UK end were fantastic but this end has been awful. Our contact rarely returned calls and the lads that delivered our stuff damaged two bits of furniture. It took the national quality manager (via BE) to get compo for that.

But the lads that delivered also disappeared before we had fully unpacked and told us that we could get the packing materials collected for free. But after 6 weeks they have tried denying they offered that, telling us it would cost us, and are still promising to send someone around to collect but never do.

I am very tempted to stick as much of it in the car as possible, drive down to their offices and dump it in reception.

Go with someone else, they can't be any worse.
thanks all think it going to be mason's by a nose as they say lol
Old Dec 28th 2005, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by woody1974
Well have got the quotes in and its a dead heat between masons and crown, but which one to use ?
have read lots of good things regarding masons but i like the idea that the same company delivers the other end in Aus.
so was just wondering if anyone had had good or bad experiences with either of these two.

ATB

andy
we used crown to ship our stuff to melbourne. but we only shipped 4 cubic metres. excellent service both ends and not a single item damaged. the leeds office dealt with all our stuff in the uk.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 9:22 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

We used Crown and they were excellent from door to door.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

We used Masons. we booked them with 3 weeks notice, they arrived packed everything by hand and it arrived in the same condition 7 weeks later. They were 1st class and I thoroghly recommended them.

Best of luck with your move.

Rob
Old Dec 28th 2005, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

The joy of shipping….

I got Crown and Excess out, and have plumped for Excess. They were much cheaper and their estimate seemed more realistic (there was a 46 cubic feet difference in the two quotes!!!). And I thought that if the actual volume is a lot less than quoted by Crown then they would be unlikely to lower the price once the stuff had been taken away. I just hope Excess don’t increase it haha…

Also, the Crown sales rep was very much “I’ve been in the trade for 30 years, man and boy, I know what I am talking about….do you want some double glazing with that?" (not literally but you know what I mean) and the Excess one had a lot less of the sales patter….

I guess it just depends on the day – I think all of the companies have good/bad reviews but Crown, Excess and Masons are the better ones.

SS
Old Dec 29th 2005, 10:13 am
still searching

woody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nice

Originally Posted by SuperSeagulls
The joy of shipping….

I got Crown and Excess out, and have plumped for Excess. They were much cheaper and their estimate seemed more realistic (there was a 46 cubic feet difference in the two quotes!!!). And I thought that if the actual volume is a
just make sure how much extra you will be paying if your load goes over the allotted amount they stated. i did this with two quotes i had, one quoted 340 cubic feet and the other 378 cubic feet. the first seemed cheaper til you broke it down into price per foot then all became clear. also i asked them to take in account if the load was under the what he had quoted he would take the amount off the amount due. masons were very helpful in my case as they only quoted on the 28th for packing on the 3rd of jan.

ATB

andy
Old Dec 29th 2005, 11:04 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Another vote for Crown here!
We were very happy with the service at both ends, and have recommended them to friends and family who have had similarly good experiences.
Having said that, not everything was smooth sailing for my parents going to N. Cyprus, but not sure if Crown were completely at fault.
As someone said, it could also be luck of the draw as to who you get and what happens to you.
Good luck.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Well have got the quotes in and its a dead heat between masons and crown, but which one to use ?
have read lots of good things regarding masons but i like the idea that the same company delivers the other end in Aus.
so was just wondering if anyone had had good or bad experiences with either of these two.

ATB

andy
We was like that with Crown and PSS, had a word with Crown and they done a deal with the insurance so we went with them....pleased with the whole service

All the best

Sue x
Old Dec 29th 2005, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

just make sure how much extra you will be paying if your load goes over the allotted amount they stated. i did this with two quotes i had, one quoted 340 cubic feet and the other 378 cubic feet. the first seemed cheaper til you broke it down into price per foot then all became clear. also i asked them to take in account if the load was under the what he had quoted he would take the amount off the amount due. masons were very helpful in my case as they only quoted on the 28th for packing on the 3rd of jan.

ATB

andy
Yep - will do. But every companies price per cubic foot gets cheaper the more you have.

SS
Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

DerekM is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to say that I sent emails out to all the recommended companies on this forum. Otherwise why try to reinvent the wheel! Crown were the only company that did not respond. All the others responded promptly and were very responsive during the negotiations. I was a bit surprised the lack of response with Crown after the complimentary write ups on here. But there you go as they say its often who you catch on the day.