British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Top Tips for would be Migrants!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/top-tips-would-migrants-452679/)

mancity May 23rd 2007 8:46 pm

Top Tips for would be Migrants!!!

thought i would write this as a ping pong pom,

Top tips to new migrants and would be migrants, as there is a few people I know gone over and totally ignored some of my experiences that I found out at my PERIL......might be got the t-shirt syndrome but also good points to consider on your move.....

Number 1, DO NOT BUY A HOUSE WHILE YOU ARE RENTING AND ALSO HAVE SOME MONTHS OUTSTANDING ON YOUR RENT!!! IT COSTS YOU MONEY!!!!!!!and the real estate co's will do jack shit to help you.

Number 2, UNLESS YOU ARE FOR SURE DO NOT PUT ALL YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET WITH AN EMPLOYER.. you will probably want to change your job or location when you get there

Number 3, Dont start comparing prices and comparing like for like, it isnt, some minor things are but just enjoy the new stuff and get ust to it... its your nwew life.

Number 4, Dont worry Tesco will be on its way to Aus sooner than you think!

datamile May 23rd 2007 9:35 pm

Re: Top Tips for would be Migrants!!!

Number 5, Its generally hotter in Australia.

TheRutters May 24th 2007 12:25 am

No 6: 'She'll be right' translated means 'We've f***ed it up beyond all recognition'

C&R May 24th 2007 12:35 am

Originally Posted by TheRutters (Post 4822667)
No 6: 'She'll be right' translated means 'We've f***ed it up beyond all recognition'

What you don't have, you don't need.

Hutch May 24th 2007 1:45 am

7. When adamantly agreeing with something, do not say "My gosh, you are *absolutely correct* my good man," instead say "Bloody oath mate" pronounced Blah-dee-oweth mayte.

TheRutters May 24th 2007 1:50 am

8. All departure and arrival times quoted on domestic airline schedules are purely advisory

jayr May 24th 2007 2:59 am

9. save money on buying new soap by collecting all the bits left over from old bars and creating a new one

TheRutters May 24th 2007 3:06 am

Originally Posted by jayr (Post 4823112)
9. save money on buying new soap by collecting all the bits left over from old bars and creating a new one

I miss Viz:rofl:

worzel May 24th 2007 3:50 am

Originally Posted by mancity (Post 4821769)
Number 4, Dont worry Tesco will be on its way to Aus sooner than you think!

Are you sure? They have reportedly pulled out of the bidding to buy Coles. They are just going to head-hunt some of their best staff to take them to other countries.

jayr May 24th 2007 4:07 am

Originally Posted by TheRutters (Post 4823136)
I miss Viz:rofl:

Get ready for your flight to OZ by pushing a hard chair against the wall and sitting on it for 24 hours while asking your wife to jab you with her elbows every 10 minutes.

Prepare for a QLD summer by turning you central heating up to full and spraying yourself with water.

mark213 May 24th 2007 5:58 am

They also moan about the state of the healthcare here as much as poms moan about the NHS

olauf May 24th 2007 6:46 am

A friend of mine told me to apply the 3 ''C'' rule when moving downunder

Make No Comparison (lifestyle)
Make No Conversion of (money)
Make No Conclusion (All).

bobbyfaescotland May 24th 2007 8:08 am

Originally Posted by jayr (Post 4823311)
Get ready for your flight to OZ by pushing a hard chair against the wall and sitting on it for 24 hours while asking your wife to jab you with her elbows every 10 minutes.

Prepare for a QLD summer by turning you central heating up to full and spraying yourself with water.

:lol::lol::lol:

Sara W May 25th 2007 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by jayr (Post 4823112)

Top Tips:
Don't play leapfrog with a rhinoceros
Don't shove your grandma when she's shaving
Don't wipe your bottom on a broken bottle
Instead of buying expensive number plate simply change your name to ' Mr FYO4BZ'
Store bread in a bucket of water to stop the bread drying out

Sara W May 25th 2007 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by mark213 (Post 4823623)
They also moan about the state of the healthcare here as much as poms moan about the NHS

I'm an NHS nurse and the staffing levels in the UK are awful. My friend works in Oz and the staffing levels are much better. I know that I am safer with nurses who have time to care for me. I'm 100% supportive of nurses in NHS as the vast majority do their absolute best in very difficult circumstances. I'll take my chances with Oz health system both as employee and patient.