Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Top Tips - flying with 15 month old!!

Top Tips - flying with 15 month old!!

Old Mar 16th 2005, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

MarkO'G is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Top Tips - flying with 15 month old!!

Hi,

I need to know a few of your top tips for getting through the journey with a young boy, who looks like he will be walking/toddling advice appreciated. I have done a search and found a few tips.

We have booked the flights with Emirates for the end of April. Flying into Melbourne and out of Brisbane three weeks later. We know our seat numbers and have one of the Bassinets (Are the bassinets big/small - Will our son get some sleep in one!!) on all legs of the journey.

Here are some of the current ones we have:

Plenty of dry food snacks
Toys (not noisy)
What happens with the buggy, When we are in Dubai for 3 hours?
Bottle - Take off and landing

How do you get kids over jetlag quickly?

Hopefully, he will be fine as he is a happy little chap who has flown a couple of short haul flights before.

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks

Mark
Old Mar 16th 2005, 8:19 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Top Tips - flying with 15 month old!!

:scared:

I don't want to cause you any worry but there's no way a 15 month old is going to fit in a basinette !!!!

We've just returned from Perth with Malaysian and our 6 month old lad barely squeezed into the bloody thing and he's an average weight.

I'm afraid it's a few laps of the plane for you !!!

Sorry.

Originally Posted by MarkO'G
Hi,

I need to know a few of your top tips for getting through the journey with a young boy, who looks like he will be walking/toddling advice appreciated. I have done a search and found a few tips.

We have booked the flights with Emirates for the end of April. Flying into Melbourne and out of Brisbane three weeks later. We know our seat numbers and have one of the Bassinets (Are the bassinets big/small - Will our son get some sleep in one!!) on all legs of the journey.

Toys (not noisy)

Hopefully, he will be fine as he is a happy little chap who has flown a couple of short haul flights before.

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks

Mark
Old Mar 16th 2005, 8:23 am
Account Closed

I should add we have a two year old boy as well who travelled also.

He did manage to get some shut eye on the floor just in front of the bulk head. We laid him on a few blankets and cushions but the crew weren't particularly happy. He had to be moved every time the seat belts sign lit up.

It ain't easy but the staff on these airlines are fantastic.

If he's only 15 months, he should be able to get comfy in the seat with cushions and blankets.

Sorry to be an alarmist...just my experiences and we've got to do it again later this year :scared:

Good luck !!!

Three Legs

Hi,

Toys (not noisy)

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks

Mark
Old Mar 16th 2005, 8:41 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

We`re going Malaysian with a 12 month-old girl. She will be using the bassinet as well. The bassinet is supposed to be for up to 12 months.

As the flight is so long, we`ll be stopping over in Langkawi and Kuala Lampur for a couple of weeks.... dead cheap for the hotels and included breakfast and transfers... all booked via Malaysian Air direct. This let`s us break up the flights and also get`s us and the baby over the jetlag before hitting Perth as it`s on the same time.

If you paid for a child seat it would cost about £200 extra than an infant ticket... almost adult price. We may do that depending on the feedback of anyone else who has flown with a baby on Malaysian (ie if the bassinet will be too small for a 12-month-old).

I`d also like to know of any other tips as well, as this will be our first long flight with her. We`ve driven to Amsterdam and back from Maidstone and all over SE England and she is an excellent traveller in the car.

How do you lessen the babies having sore ears with all the pressure of take-off/landing etc? I swallow, and hold my nose to blow out my ears.... but for a baby?
Old Mar 16th 2005, 8:47 am
Account Closed

A dummy is fine to ease the pressure on take off and landing.

I would say a basinette is suitable for any child upto 18 - 20 lbs.

Forget it if the baby is over that weight.

Malaysian supply infant / baby meals and toys as well as ice creams etc etc.

They are truly superb.

We flew from Manchester at 8pm and the kids slept 9 out of the 12 hours.

Three Legs

Originally Posted by Stormz
We`re going Malaysian with a 12 month-old girl. She will be using the bassinet as well. The bassinet is supposed to be for up to 12 months.

As the flight is so long, we`ll be stopping over in Langkawi and Kuala Lampur for a couple of weeks.... dead cheap for the hotels and included breakfast and transfers... all booked via Malaysian Air direct. This let`s us break up the flights and also get`s us and the baby over the jetlag before hitting Perth as it`s on the same time.

If you paid for a child seat it would cost about £200 extra than an infant ticket... almost adult price. We may do that depending on the feedback of anyone else who has flown with a baby on Malaysian (ie if the bassinet will be too small for a 12-month-old).

I`d also like to know of any other tips as well, as this will be our first long flight with her. We`ve driven to Amsterdam and back from Maidstone and all over SE England and she is an excellent traveller in the car.

How do you lessen the babies having sore ears with all the pressure of take-off/landing etc? I swallow, and hold my nose to blow out my ears.... but for a baby?
Old Mar 16th 2005, 8:51 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Three Legs
Malaysian supply infant / baby meals and toys as well as ice creams etc etc.
Yeah, we`re going to take whatever baby food in jars we need, and ask Malaysian to supply the kids meals.... we`ll let her have the juice and anything healthy and scoff the crisps and chocolate ourselves

I think you have to ask the airline well before the flight to provide kids meals (or baby meals).

Our baby doesn`t have a dummy (we don`t believe in them), so we`ll take her juice bottle out and get her to drink some of that on the way up/down.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 8:53 am
Account Closed

Can i ask why you don't believe in dummies ? Not being funny like.

Originally Posted by Stormz
Yeah, we`re going to take whatever baby food in jars we need, and ask Malaysian to supply the kids meals.... we`ll let her have the juice and anything healthy and scoff the crisps and chocolate ourselves

I think you have to ask the airline well before the flight to provide kids meals (or baby meals).

Our baby doesn`t have a dummy (we don`t believe in them), so we`ll take her juice bottle out and get her to drink some of that on the way up/down.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 9:02 am
Superfreak!!

Can i ask why you don't believe in dummies ? Not being funny like.
np. Basically germs from wherever the baby drops the dummy, and then most people don`t even wash it but just stick it back in to pacify the baby. A wipe doesn`t do much good. The other main reason is that we didn`t want to have to resort to using a `pacifier` to keep her under control.... we keep her under control with our tone of voice and expressions (you should see my wife`s `killer` look.... dead scary... wasted on the baby of course but I see it often enough )... Oh and whips and things too keep baby happy

She`s a great kid, and if she cries or is ratty it`s because she wants something... food, drink, nappy change, attention or sleep. We don`t want to ignore her real needs by just saying here... suck on this. She`s happy sucking her thumb anyway... and she doesn`t drop that on the floor
Old Mar 16th 2005, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

MarkO'G is an unknown quantity at this point

I should add we have a two year old boy as well who travelled also.

He did manage to get some shut eye on the floor just in front of the bulk head. We laid him on a few blankets and cushions but the crew weren't particularly happy. He had to be moved every time the seat belts sign lit up.

It ain't easy but the staff on these airlines are fantastic.

If he's only 15 months, he should be able to get comfy in the seat with cushions and blankets.

Sorry to be an alarmist...just my experiences and we've got to do it again later this year :scared:

Good luck !!!

Three Legs

Thanks Three Legs,

We had an idea that the bassinet would not be big enough!! To combat this we are planning on letting him sleep in a large shoe box for the next month, so he is used to not having any room and bumping it up and down during the night to mimick turbulence!!

I'll take your tips with the reserve plan of cushions and blankets on the floor or letting him sleep on the seat. Somehow, I can see I am going to be the displaced passenger on this journey!! Doh

Cheers

Mark
Old Mar 16th 2005, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Princess_atta has a spectacular aura aboutPrincess_atta has a spectacular aura aboutPrincess_atta has a spectacular aura about

Hi There,

We've just done a 10 hour flight back from Goa with a 15 month old and are off to Oz in a month's time. We're goingt o split the journey with a few days in Singapore rather than do it in one go.

We found that taking plenty of snacks helps a great deal - it can take up to 3/4 hour eating a packet of raisins.

We also passed some time with crayoning (washable ones I might add). Books and toys are great to pass the time too (especially new ones and lift the flap books). I also walked / crawled up and down the aisles with our little one (when it was possible to). She will walk with both hands held but not on her own just yet.

Everyone commented on how well behaved she was throughout the flight.

Oh, another tip is to book a night flight if you can, plus pay extra for a seat for the infant. We have done on all the flights we're made with her (including the short ones), even if it's just somewhere else to store your bags and make life easier.

We found the jet lag a bit of a problem in Goa, and coming back. I gave her Medised which is a cold relief with an antihisthamine in it, this helped her to sleep at the right times and try to get back into some sort of routine. We were given Phenergen by the doctor but it just sent her loopy.

Good luck and mail me if you want any more tips / advice.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 9:05 am
Superfreak!!

If we did like pacifiers I`d love one of these:

http://www.getbubbateeth.com/category.html?UCIDs=863061
Attached Images  
Old Mar 16th 2005, 9:07 am
Superfreak!!

Originally Posted by Princess_atta
Hi There,
Good luck and mail me if you want any more tips / advice.
Sounds good so far. Maybe you could list all other tips here...
Old Mar 16th 2005, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Princess_atta has a spectacular aura aboutPrincess_atta has a spectacular aura aboutPrincess_atta has a spectacular aura about

Hiya Stormz,

Will post at lunchtime when little 'un goes to sleep - she's expecting me to play with her right now!!

Catch you later.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 9:18 am
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

Hi Mark

We were advised that if you catch the 10pm flight from Heathrow to Singapore you arrive at 6pm the following day. The kids automcatically end up sleepign for the first part and once you arrive in Singapore and get yourself sorted into a hotel you are ready to crash out. In the morning then you are feeling refreshed and don't suffer with the jet lag. We're doing this when we fly at the end of next month and plan to stop off for a few days to get the kids back to normal before travelling on to Oz.

The other thing I came across was an excellent website with heaps of info (warning this will be a very long post..) http://www.ehow.com/

How to Fly With a Toddler
You don't have to stay at home just because you have a toddler. It's possible to go anywhere you like'even on long airplane trips'with some careful preparation.

Steps:
1. Schedule a night flight, if possible, so that your little one is likely to sleep for at least part of the time.

2. Pack a change of clothes, or dress your child in layers that can be easily removed in case of spills.

3. Consider the preboarding option for parents of young children. If your child is mellow and sleepy, it's a great idea, but if he's wide awake and excited, it might be better to delay boarding as long as possible.

4. Keep in mind that only certain car seats are airline-approved. Be prepared to check your car seat as baggage if necessary.

5. Bring a selection of healthful, nonperishable snacks and a drink in a spill-proof cup. In-flight food services aren't designed with hungry, impatient toddlers in mind.

6. Prepare a surprise pack of small new toys, picture books and other tiny treats. Bring them out one treat at a time, whenever your child begins to get restless.

7. Remember that antinausea medications are a good idea if your child has a sensitive stomach. They also cause drowsiness.

8. Bring a collapsible stroller or kid-carrier backpack to use in the airport, especially if you have a connecting flight to catch. If it doesn't fit in the overhead bins, an attendant will check it for you. Airports are big and can be very tiring for little feet.

Tips:
Do a diaper change in an airport bathroom before boarding.

Warnings:
Turbulence can be dangerous for people who aren't strapped in, and walking or running in the aisles can also be disruptive

Some more tips :-

1. Please bring gum! eHow Friend
Please bring chewing gum, a lollipop or a pacifier for your child. Give it to them on descent to help alleviate pressure changes because little ears are sensitive too and airlines don't provide these items.

2. TV/videos on the plane eHow Friend
Record your child's favorite program/video onto your camcorder (via your VCR) and bring it with you on the plane for them to watch. Work's best if you have a flip-out screen on the camcorder. Don't forget to make sure your batteries are charged!

3. Avoid diaper disasters! Susan F.
Bring along enough diapers for two or three days, in case your flight is very late or in the air for longer than anticipated - or the worst: your luggage is lost and it's in the middle of the night when you arrive at your destination!

4. How to survive long airplane flights-over 5 hours Angela D.
For long trips, give your toddler Children's Dramamine 30 minutes before you take off (make sure they've eaten). Your toddler may react & cry because they'll suddenly become very drowsy. But it works & they'll sleep through the entire flight.

5. Photo album eHow Friend
My daughter adores photos therefore a month before our overseas flite we take tons of pictures of her with her friends, pets, etc. We then present her with her special album once onboard, creating hours of stories connected to her favorite people.

6. Wrapped gifts Stephen
On those long flights, I not only brought a suprise pack, I wrapped each suprise in birthday paper. It made my daughter happier and made the small gifts seem much more interesting. It also meant much less toddler boredom.

7. Hassle free flying Stephanie D.
Most airline now offer the option to order a child's meal which usually includes mostly finger food (ie. sandwiches, chocolate biscuits, potato chips, etc.) Take advantage of this option if it is offered - it will mean your child can largely feed himself, leaving you free to eat your meal.

Also allow your child to pack his own hand luggage with the things he wants to take. He will be happier to play with toys and games that he has chosen himself. Also pack a lucky dip bag of sweets and other treats into your hand luggage and offer the bag when all else seems to be failing.

One last point - don't forget to take your child's favourite cuddly toy onto the plane, especially if the child usually sleeps with the toy!

8. Relax... Jennifer L.
Use a drop or two of lavender essential oil on your collarbone or wrists to help both the baby/toddler and yourself to relax during the flight. Also, try Badger Sleep Balm (can be bought at health food stores). The essential oils help calm my toddler, and myself on flights...Maybe not enough to sleep, but it does help!!

How to Fly With a Baby
Planning ahead can make a world of difference in maintaining your sanity when you're traveling the friendly skies with your adorable little one.

Steps:
1. Book a nonstop flight during off-peak hours, and hope for empty seats.

2. Book in advance, if possible, and select the seats you want. Where there are three-seated rows, you can often request a window seat and an aisle seat and then have one seat for your supplies.

3. Check with the airline about what you can bring on the plane. If the flight is not full, you can often bring an airline-approved car seat onboard even if you didn't buy an extra ticket. Also, most airlines will allow you to check a fold-up stroller at the gate.

4. Inquire about services and amenities when you book the flight. Does the airline provide a bassinet? Does it provide special food for babies?

5. Consider taking a red-eye if it's a long flight. Although you may not get a good night's sleep, it may be easier for your baby to travel at night and avoid dramatic changes in routine.

6. Try to fly with another adult, who can offer an extra pair of hands and provide additional ideas for entertaining the baby.

7. Bring food, bottles and new toys as well as old favorites. Also bring an extra pair of baby clothes and plenty of diapers. Being stranded in a plane with a baby in wet clothes or diapers does not bode well for anyone on the plane.

8. Travel equipped with medical records and your pediatrician's phone number if your baby takes medication.

9. Preboard. If you're choosing seats, try to sit near other families. In addition to the distraction other children can provide, another family may tolerate your child's temper tantrum better than most other travelers.

10. Offer your baby a bottle, cup or breast on the ascent and descent. Swallowing helps eliminate any discomfort from changing air pressure.

Tips:
Do a diaper change in an airport bathroom before boarding.

Children under 2 fly for free but sit on your lap. Consider buying a ticket for your baby. It's safer to bring a child's car seat on board.

Warnings:
If your child has a cold or any upper-respiratory symptoms prior to the flight, check with a healthcare provider about whether to fly at all.

How to Prevent Jet Lag
Jet lag doesn't have to ruin the first few days of your trip abroad. A few simple tips will help keep it in check.

Steps:
1. Start shifting your sleep-wake cycle to match that of your destination several days before departure, changing at the rate of one hour per day.

2. Begin adjusting to the time zone of your destination by resetting your watch at the beginning of your flight.

3. Sleep on the plane when it is nighttime at your destination. Earplugs, headphones and eye masks can help diminish noise and light.

4. Stay awake on the plane when it is daytime at your destination. Read a thriller with the light on and the window shade open, or cruise the aisles.

5. Drink plenty of water. The air on planes is extremely dry, and dehydration can worsen the effects of jet lag.

6. Avoid alcohol and caffeine while flying. They increase dehydration.

7. Exercise as much as you can on the flight during waking hours: stretch, walk down the aisles and do leg lifts.

Some more tips:-

1. Avoiding jet lag Hazel W.
When flying, stay awake whatever it takes when it is daylight outside. When it's dark out, sleep - this may mean refusing meals. After arrival at your destination, stay awake until bedtime.

2. Traveling overseas Jacquilyne
If you arrive at your destination in the evening, you can go to sleep immediately. If you arrive in the morning or afternoon, take a 4 to 5 hour nap. After waking, stay up until at least 9 p.m. Your body will be on overseas time in the morning.

3. Do not sleep Eszter L.
Under no circumstances should you take a nap if you arrive at your destination in the morning. I fly all over the world from Australia. I stay awake until local bedtime - which is really difficult after a 30-hour flight. Also, take melatonin.

How to Recover From Jet Lag
Maybe you pictured taking the Louvre by storm the minute you stepped off that plane in Paris, but though your mind's willing, your body's not. When you travel to a new time zone, your internal clock needs time to adjust. Insomnia, fatigue, lack of appetite at meals and a ravenous appetite at the wrong times are all signs of jet lag.

Steps:
1. Drink plenty of water as you travel to your destination and after you arrive. If you are dehydrated, it will take you longer to adapt to the new time zone.

2. Sleep on the plane to be alert and awake if you will be arriving in the morning or early afternoon. Stay awake on the plane to be sleepy upon arrival if you'll reach your destination in the evening or at night.

3. If you arrive at your final destination in the morning, try to stay awake all day. Drink small amounts of coffee, tea or caffeinated soda to wake you up (too much caffeine will further disrupt your sleep cycle). Keep napping to a minimum.

4. If you arrive in the evening, go to sleep at your normal bedtime according to the new time zone. That is, if your bedtime at home is 11 p.m., go to bed at that time in your new location. You may want to ask your doctor to recommend an over-the-counter sleeping aid.

5. If your trip is shorter than 48 hours, schedule meetings according to your home time zone. If the new time zone is 3 hours ahead of your normal time, schedule late morning or afternoon meetings when you will be awake and alert. For example, a 1 p.m. meeting is at 10 a.m. according to your internal clock.

6. Expose yourself to bright light and exercise in the morning in the new time zone. This helps reset your internal clock.

7. Eat small meals throughout the day while you adjust to the new mealtimes. Keep a snack by your bed if your regular dinnertime occurs in the middle of the night in the new time zone.

8. Give your body time to make the switch. If you feel very drowsy during the day, take a nap for up to one hour, but make sure it's before evening. Avoid pushing yourself too hard during the first few days.

Overall Tips:
To minimize the effects of jet lag, start adjusting your internal clock before you depart. Go to sleep an hour earlier or later on the days leading up to your departure.

Generally, it is more difficult to adjust to a time zone when you are traveling east, because you must wake up and go to sleep earlier than you're used to.

How to Treat Jet Lag
Flying across numerous time zones can affect travelers for days. Try the following tips to speed up the adjustment process.

Daytime Arrival

Steps:
1. Reset your watch to local time if you haven't done so already.

2. Eat a protein-packed breakfast, such as an omelet, which will help you stay awake.

3. Soak up natural sunlight to cue your body that it is time to be awake. Or spend your first day in well-lighted places.

4. Get some exercise, but don't overdo it; a good option is a gentle walk outside during the day to get fresh air and keep your body moving.

5. Take a short nap if you are really weary, but do so before 2 p.m. and sleep for no longer than an hour.

6. Go to bed at a reasonable time. Even if you feel like dropping off at 5 p.m., try to hold out until at least 8 or 9 p.m. so that you won't wake up too early the next morning.

Nighttime Arrival

Steps:
1. Eat a high-carbohydrate meal, such as pasta, to help make you drowsy.

2. Plan to go to bed at the local bedtime, even if you aren't sleepy.

3. Think about other ways to induce sleep: a hot bath with lavender oil, a cup of chamomile tea or a massage. Keep lights dim.

4. Avoid sleeping late, even if you did not sleep well.

Tips:
Make sure your hotel room is not too hot. You'll get the best night's sleep in a cool (but not cold) room.

Warnings:
Avoid drinking alcohol to help you sleep. It will interfere with your body's natural sleep patterns. Also avoid drinking a lot of caffeinated beverages to keep yourself awake during the day. These will dehydrate you and make you more tired when they wear off.

Avoid driving, especially in an unfamiliar place, if you are overtired. If you must drive while fatigued, be very careful. Keep the window open and make frequent stops to keep sleepiness at bay.

How to Exercise on a Plane
Combat poor circulation, swelling, sore joints and lethargy on cramped flights by doing a short exercise routine. At the very least, you'll entertain your fellow passengers.

Steps:
1. Squeeze a tennis ball, a racquetball or even a pair of socks with your hands until they're tired.

2. Keep the balls of your feet planted and raise your legs using your calf muscles. If this is too easy, place your carry-on bag on your knees. Continue until tired.

3. Plant your heels firmly and raise your toes as high as possible. Hold for five seconds, and relax. Repeat until tired.

4. Place your hands on your armrests and raise your knees slowly (together is harder than one at a time) toward your chin. Lower them slowly. Repeat until tired.

5. Cross your legs. Rotate the dangling foot in as wide a circle as possible. Continue until tired.

6. Stretch your neck by keeping your chin close to your throat and tilting your head forward. Roll your head from one shoulder to the other, but avoid rotating it backward.

7. Flex your trapezius muscles by doing shoulder hunches. Lower your shoulders, and then raise them up toward your ears into a shrug. Hold for five seconds. Continue until tired.

8. Arch your torso gently backward and forward like a cat.

9. Flex your gluteus muscles and hold for as long as possible. Squeezing your rear like this may occasion strange glances, but these muscles are the biggest in the human body and need to be exercised, too.

Tips:
When aisles are relatively empty and the seatbelt sign is off, walk around, stretch and do lunges. To lunge, take a big step (about half your height) and gently lower yourself as far as you can while keeping the torso upright and back leg straight. Return to a standing position by stepping either forward with the rear foot or backward with the front foot. Repeat. Once you become skilled, you'll be able to work up a sweat (and an audience) lunging to the toilet and back.

Hope that gives you all some help

Sasha
Old Mar 16th 2005, 9:24 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Toys (not noisy)

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks

Mark
Having "been there done that" as they say (& will shortly ne doing it again with a toddler & a baby!) my top tips are:

Buggy: you can keep your buggy up till the gate where it is then stored in the hold. With Singapore Airlines we found that they had buggies for free lends for passengers in such a situation as a "wait" in the airport.........myabe emirates do the same?

Snacks: dry snacks are a great idea as most little kids will NOT wait until the stewardesses come round with stuff

Bottles: the stewardesses will warm up your bottles for you, but BEWARE they put them in the microwave so end up nearly boiling the milk - when we had our little unn's bottles warmed up we had to wait about 30 mins until they were cool enough for him

Entertainment: quiet toys are a great idea, but remember all the long haul flights these days have the individual TVs for each passenger - our little unn spent a few hours watching Bob the Builder!

Sleeping: the sky cots/bassinnets can get a bit chilly as they are up on the wall of the plane. We found that taking my son's fleecy blanket was a good idea & also he wore a hat when asleep as his head got really cold in the aircon of the plane.

Take Off/Landing: if your little one has a dummy its a good idea to get them to suck it during take off & landing to stop the ears popping.... alternatives would be getting them to drink from their bottle or having some juice from their cup....... talking of juice, remember to take a juice cup too as the aircon on the planes can be really dehydrating.

Moving about: It is best for both you and the kids to have a walk about every so often - let them have a run up & down the aisle.......

Nappy facilities: The baby change facilities are pretty rubbish on most planes, as they are usually a "drop down" shelf above the loo. you will find that you have absolutely no space to do anything but its surprising how you can manage in such a tiny space - don't forget the extra nappies, wipes and at least 2 changes of clothes for them! We found a towel and a flannel came in really handy too!

Well there you go, I hope this has gone to helping you out somewhat.....!

Have a GREAT trip!

Claire
x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.