Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Too old, too skint and probably too fat.

Too old, too skint and probably too fat.

Old Mar 25th 2006, 9:02 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Too old, too skint and probably too fat.

Originally Posted by Margaret2
Perhaps I'm pmt, perhaps it's the weather or perhaps I've just been hanging around this forum too long.

But i am really beginning too think that perhaps we shouldn't go to Australia.

The maximum we could take would be £30,000 and this would be the absolute max. What seems like an age ago we were bound for Perth and looking forward to it. I now think that this is a big no, no, as lately on this forum you must be, well , what seems to me, mega rich to go there.

I have spoken to a few people on here who are in a similar financial situation as us, but then they are 10 years younger (we are both 42 with 2 kids).

And kiwichild, no matter what happens , we are not going to Tasmania ,

Obviously we don't have a superb lifestyle here, e.g, we don't go to Europe or abroad for hols, as we simply cannot afford it, even though both of us work. But what we have worked hard at, is to give our kids the best life we can afford and i don't mean materially.

So posters feel free to be brutally honest, would we be better off staying putt. If we only had ourselves to consider, then we would go with just the clothes on our back if necessary, but we have our 2 girls to think of.
The thing is do you own your own or buying your own home in the uk as the amount you mention equates to 73000 aproxx dollars with the average home here now in perth for example is 325000 -350000 itll roughley show you how much you have to borrow ,there are cheaper properties my brotheres place in kinross is worth about 275000 for a 3 x1 no pool ,so youd need to borrow at least 200000 which would at a push need an income of 70000 dollars a year to fund ,if your other half is in construction that would be attainable but if working on award wages it would be impossible .I dont know where you are heading but eastern state prices have took a hammering recently but i believe prices there in say sydney ,melbourne out strip perth .Adelaide is marginally cheaper but wages are lower so you will find the affordability level in real terms lower in adelaide than perth .unfortunately australia is no longer a cheap country unless your selling a home in the home counties .
Old Mar 25th 2006, 9:21 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret2
Perhaps I'm pmt, perhaps it's the weather or perhaps I've just been hanging around this forum too long.

But i am really beginning too think that perhaps we shouldn't go to Australia.

The maximum we could take would be £30,000 and this would be the absolute max. What seems like an age ago we were bound for Perth and looking forward to it. I now think that this is a big no, no, as lately on this forum you must be, well , what seems to me, mega rich to go there.

I have spoken to a few people on here who are in a similar financial situation as us, but then they are 10 years younger (we are both 42 with 2 kids).

And kiwichild, no matter what happens , we are not going to Tasmania ,

Obviously we don't have a superb lifestyle here, e.g, we don't go to Europe or abroad for hols, as we simply cannot afford it, even though both of us work. But what we have worked hard at, is to give our kids the best life we can afford and i don't mean materially.

So posters feel free to be brutally honest, would we be better off staying putt. If we only had ourselves to consider, then we would go with just the clothes on our back if necessary, but we have our 2 girls to think of.
30,000 pounds = $75,000 and a family could get by on that for up to two years if they were careful. As soon as you get jobs you can quit eating into your savings, add to them then look at putting a deposit on a house. You would get a $7,000 first home buyers grant (tax free) and I think 5%-10% deposit should still be okay. Stamp duty is the killer in WA, though it's rumoured it will be reduced.

I will give you a link so you can look at where the jobs are in OZ and pretedicted growth areas etc. It might help you firm up a decision where would be best for your family, if you do move here. Be wary of doing casual work for too long as you won't get a home loan if you work casual jobs.

http://jobsearch.gov.au
Old Mar 25th 2006, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Sical is a jewel in the roughSical is a jewel in the roughSical is a jewel in the roughSical is a jewel in the roughSical is a jewel in the rough

Hi ya

Glad ur feeling more upbeat about it all - Think everyone taking this step,-with or without money-with or without kids, will always find this a daunting prospect, fear of the unknown I guess, and leaving behind the ( often underestimated ) support system that family and friends provide.

We, I am sure, like most people started life with nothing , But through hard work and luck with property, ( not that I am saying others hav not worked hard) we will have a lump sum to go with, But I have to say that throughout my life, my happiness has not been dictated by the amount of money I did or did not hav in the bank at the time, It was derived from taking pleasure in the people around me who enrich my life.

I once heard that statistically, rich people are happier, But I believe there is differing levels of happiness, . The happiness of the soul, and the superficial kind.

Who will be the happier person ? ... - Someone who spends loadsa dosh at weekends enjoying some retail therapy? - or some one who spends time with their loved ones ( in my case my man and kids)..

Forget the too fat old and skint, and go with

Beautiful, forever young, and free.

( Beauty comes from within _ thats wat I tell my kids)
( Age is a state of mind - Mirrors are liars!!!!
A Man who has nothing is free.

Wishing u all the best for ur family,....
Old Mar 25th 2006, 9:23 am
Blah Blah Blah

Buttockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Whats dead fish got to do with it????
CENTURION:
What's this, then? 'Romanes Eunt Domus'? 'People called Romanes they go the house'?

BRIAN:
It-- it says, 'Romans, go home'.

CENTURION:
No, it doesn't. What's Latin for 'Roman'? Come on!
Old Mar 25th 2006, 9:27 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Buttockup
CENTURION:
What's this, then? 'Romanes Eunt Domus'? 'People called Romanes they go the house'?

BRIAN:

CENTURION:

Is the answer ACCA ??
Old Mar 25th 2006, 9:29 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Sical] A Man who has nothing is free.

Thik that's meant to be a man who owes nothing is free
Old Mar 25th 2006, 9:31 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=kiwichild]
Originally Posted by Sical

Well thats me buggered then.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 9:34 am
Blah Blah Blah

Buttockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond repute

Is the answer ACCA ??
FCCA actually

Who are you? How do you know? Is my secret cover blown (unlike my penis)
Old Mar 25th 2006, 9:35 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buttockup
CENTURION:

BRIAN:

CENTURION:

pmsl!!!!

like it
Old Mar 25th 2006, 9:40 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Is the answer ACCA ??

http://www.montypythonpages.com/index1.htm

bout a third of the way down the life of brian script
Old Mar 25th 2006, 9:52 am
The Godfather

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
http://www.montypythonpages.com/index1.htm

bout a third of the way down the life of brian script
I'll take a stone, two pebbles & a bag of gravel please.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 10:00 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has quite clearly been born from the firewater. Maggie, I told you to leave the meths alone. It's needed to run the toy steam engine

The majority of people look toward the big population centres....Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth etc which I think is a mistake.

There are oodles of places in Aus that are very, very livable outside those places which will offer better job prospects and an equally enriching lifestyle.

There are some jobs that are only to be found in the larger cities but most will be found farther afield. So my main message is that perhaps people should widen their search into some regional areas. You may be surprised as to what is on offer.

A couple of other points I would make.

The Australia I have found is not at all ageist.......people are not dumped onto the scrapheap because of age nor frowned upon for taking part in activities some would consider innappropriate for their age.

The other is that is does strike me that it is still a land where an individual who is prepared to work hard will gain just rewards.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Sical is a jewel in the roughSical is a jewel in the roughSical is a jewel in the roughSical is a jewel in the roughSical is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=kiwichild]

Jus thinking Kiwi child - is it ok if I run my posts past u first in future, - thats the 2nd time u corrected me!! - U may save me from seeing the surgeon and having to get my foot extracted out of my mouth, :scared:

I would once Hav said I had a great memory but - after 2 kids, two jobs and study all at the same time, its shot to Shxx. Or maybe its that lying mirror trying to tell me I am getting older! :scared:

But hey, - no worries -am always happy to stand corrected, - I am still on a learning curve. ... keep up the good work,

Thanx ( hope did not offend re NZ windy city -)

x
Old Mar 25th 2006, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Sical]
Originally Posted by kiwichild

Jus thinking Kiwi child - is it ok if I run my posts past u first in future, - thats the 2nd time u corrected me!! - U may save me from seeing the surgeon and having to get my foot extracted out of my mouth, :scared:

I would once Hav said I had a great memory but - after 2 kids, two jobs and study all at the same time, its shot to Shxx. Or maybe its that lying mirror trying to tell me I am getting older! :scared:

But hey, - no worries -am always happy to stand corrected, - I am still on a learning curve. ... keep up the good work,

Thanx ( hope did not offend re NZ windy city -)

x
I thought that " a man who has nothing is free " made more sense that " a man who owes nothing is free "

Lets face it you can owe nothing but still be tied down
Old Mar 25th 2006, 10:17 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=WendyC]
Lets face it you can owe nothing but still be tied down
Oooooo....you are wicked Wendy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.