Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Too old, too skint and probably too fat.

Too old, too skint and probably too fat.

Old Mar 24th 2006, 10:53 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Too old, too skint and probably too fat.

Originally Posted by Margaret2
Make them sheepskin
hmmm now thats pushing it but what about snake skin
Old Mar 24th 2006, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

Aw Margaret, sorry to hear you're having doubts. Only natural.
I'm going with about £2000. Once I've paid off the debts, sent the furniture and the dog and bought tickets for me and the daughter. Luckily I'll be able to get a job fairly quickly and my husband has just left tonight to start his new job. He's provided with a house so thats one thing out of the way. I'm scared too and wondering whether we're doing the right thing. But we have no family here, brother in Oz, Mum and Dad joining us soon in Brisbane.
I hope you feel better later today.
Lou x
Old Mar 24th 2006, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Guys it's worth it when you get here, honest. Once the struggle to get here is over -visa &house selling etc. everything you have to do here seems more positive as it is all towards your new life, not leaving your old one behind, if that makes sense. It's more fun, a new experience & adventure.

One piece of advice for those coming without a load of dosh would be to bring everything you can with you. It's amazing how soon all the little things you will need add up so bring whatever you can. You can always replace things over time once you know how your finances are. I remember throwing little things away like say kitchen utensils which had seen better days. It takes money & time to replace all those things & isn't worth the hassle.

Once you are here there is plenty to do which you have to pay for, but so much more "free stuff" too. Lots of local councils/building companies put on free evnts, especially over the summer. There are concerts, movies in parks, themed afternoons out etc. Then of course you've got beaches, national parks, parks etc. In fact we're so busy getting on with every day life we haven't got time to do all that much these days! There's more than enough to keep you busy.

Loopy
Old Mar 25th 2006, 4:02 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I wouldn't say you were to Skint Magaret.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 7:09 am
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Did you have 30 grand when you very first started out??That is a lot of money!!

I think you may have read too much on here EVERYONE has a story to tell and everyone lives a different lifestyle what is important to one person is different to another the same with dreams we all have different dreams and expectations in life the only thing we ALL have in common(I hope) is we all want to be happy!!

Personally I think you should go for it life really is far too short for what ifs and you cant make a decision about your future on other peoples experiences!! Yours will never be the same!!

We are now going in 3 weeks time and im almost a total reck cant believe we are giving up everything we have known and loved to begin a new life in a place we have never set foot in!
This forum has helped me open my eyes and changed my expectations but until we as a family have given it a bloody good go in our OWN family way I cant not do it (even though the terror and sheer panic that keeps going through me is overwhelming).

At the end of the day the worst case scenario is we hate it we come back to the UK or try somewhere different but at least we have had a bit of an adventure in our lifes !!

I really never thought id be doing this its always somthing other people do we talk about it and have done for years well now the shit has deffo hit the fan and we will give it everything to be happy in Australia!!

Take Care

Kris xx
Old Mar 25th 2006, 7:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Sent you a PM Margaret
Old Mar 25th 2006, 7:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Margaret, those threads from people with stacks to take with them stick out like a sore thumb to you because you are in the opposite position. I have never taken any notice of what other people have or don't have. It's irrelevant. Australia is no different from the UK in terms of who has money and who doesn't.

If you are willing and able you will make a go of it whatever. You could fall flat on your faces with millions.

As someone else said, when you and oh started out, did you have 30 grand? When you first decided to have children, did you sit down, work out how much the little buggers were going to cost you and decide not to go for it - of course not.

There are many on here who came over with nothing but enthusiasm and they are here and happy. Had a struggle but when is life not a struggle

Forget money and remember what it was that drew you to Aus in the first place. Go to Perth and enjoy yourselves. Don't limit yourselves by imagination. Use it in a positive way.

PMT's a sod ain't it. Me and first born suffer at exactly the same time. Can't wait for tiddler to start Hope hubby has his sted built by then
Old Mar 25th 2006, 7:47 am
Blah Blah Blah

Buttockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Margaret, glad to read that you've perked up! (with the help of your BE buddies). But also some thanks are due as the responses your post prompted have given me heart.

A unique opportunity has been afforded...it would be crying shame not to have at least tried.

Carpe diem and all that bollox
Old Mar 25th 2006, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

don544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond repute

hi Margret,
my wife and i are both in our forties, 2 girls 7&11, 11 year old told us yesterday that she doesn't want to go, house not selling, sensible option would be to ditch plans and stay in safe environment with good jobs and fair standard of living, and always wonder, what if....................... Go for it!!
Dom
Old Mar 25th 2006, 8:12 am
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Margaret,

Everyone rides the same roller coaster I guess, we are 39, 36 years old with a 4 year old boy, nice jobs, nice house, pensions in order etc. etc.. But life is what you make of it and - to us - thinking about staying in the same situation, everything neatly arranged, no big savings account, but everything running nice and smoothly - scares us. It feels like - without wanting to sound ungrateful (I mean we're in good health etc. etc) - being set for life, and it feels really boring and dull, like walking around in cotton/in the clouds (hope you know what I mean). So GO FOR IT!!!!

Good luck with your visa process etc. which can be very tedious (I KNOW!!!!), like some other people said, better regret the things you've done, than regret the things you didn't do!

Take care,

Miranda
Old Mar 25th 2006, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Christ the nicest thread in ages. People being realistic, pragmatic and supportive
all at the same time as well. Loved Tiredwithtwins response.

Old Mar 25th 2006, 8:32 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Perhaps I'm pmt, perhaps it's the weather or perhaps I've just been hanging around this forum too long.

But i am really beginning too think that perhaps we shouldn't go to Australia.

The maximum we could take would be £30,000 and this would be the absolute max. What seems like an age ago we were bound for Perth and looking forward to it. I now think that this is a big no, no, as lately on this forum you must be, well , what seems to me, mega rich to go there.

I have spoken to a few people on here who are in a similar financial situation as us, but then they are 10 years younger (we are both 42 with 2 kids).

And kiwichild, no matter what happens , we are not going to Tasmania ,

Obviously we don't have a superb lifestyle here, e.g, we don't go to Europe or abroad for hols, as we simply cannot afford it, even though both of us work. But what we have worked hard at, is to give our kids the best life we can afford and i don't mean materially.

So posters feel free to be brutally honest, would we be better off staying putt. If we only had ourselves to consider, then we would go with just the clothes on our back if necessary, but we have our 2 girls to think of.
Well mate i am now 45 the wife 44 on monday and we have two kids. We are planing to go back to NZ after a year back in Newcastle. Both the kids want to go back to NZ "BIG STYLE". They had a taste of a better more relaxed life than the UK. Money will be tight for us, but we were happier in NZ i guess. maybe it was the better weather or just more room etc. But it's like living in an ant's nest here, just too many people shoving and pushing. You only got one life, live it mate. We had a rough time the last few months in NZ before we left, but that was circumstances beyond our control. But we all as a family do not regret going to NZ, far from it, it has enriched our lives. Best of luck to what you decide to do.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 8:39 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Christ the nicest thread in ages. People being realistic, pragmatic and supportive
all at the same time as well. Loved Tiredwithtwins response.

Agree, totally, the best thread in ages, thanx for all the support and hope others have found support and reassurance from it
Old Mar 25th 2006, 8:40 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Buttockup
Carpe diem and all that bollox

Whats dead fish got to do with it????
Old Mar 25th 2006, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Agree, totally, the best thread in ages, thanx for all the support and hope others have found support and reassurance from it
Hello Margeret

I've not read all the replies so apoligies if I am just waffling what everyone else put. Me & Ste have only gone with about 8000 grand, we dont have kids or anything. Its early days yet, not got jobs but have interviews lined up. We have secured a rental. Not everyone goes with heaps of cash.

I didnt really admit it but I had some doubts just before we went and worried about loads of things but so far I am absolutely loving it. The people are lovely, the beaches are great, everyone is so helpful.

Only you can decide whether its the right decision for you but I think with 30000 or less it can be done and its so worthwhile. Not everyone has the opportunity to do this. My hubbie said to me imagine the worst that could happen, its unlikely to anyway but you can always work something out.

We decided to give it a go cos its better to regret than to wonder what if.

Will post and let you know how we are doing in a month or so.

LaLa x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.