Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Too old, too skint and probably too fat.

Too old, too skint and probably too fat.

Old Mar 24th 2006, 8:20 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Too old, too skint and probably too fat.

Awwwwwwwwwwe, big hugs and kisses to all the replies, I was beginning to think i was the only one in this boat, but now know am not, and that is reassuring.

Can't say a big enough [SIZE=6]THANK YOU[/SIZE] to you all

Also thanks for the lovely pm's, you are all right, of course

Last edited by Margaret2; Mar 24th 2006 at 8:24 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 8:30 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh PMT I bloody hate it.

Anyway, that aside you're bound to have worries, who wouldn't. The way I look at it is I don't want to look back in ten years time and regret not giving it a go. My mother and father in law are both nearly 60 and would love to move to Oz but there's just no visa for them and they haven't got the $500,000 required for an investment retirement visa thingy!

So really I guess it boils down to whether you could live with the regrets if you didn't give it a try?
Old Mar 24th 2006, 8:31 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

ok, our situation is - me and oh im 40 next year, he's 42. we have 3 kids - an 8 yr old girl and 5 yr old twin boys.
we have NO house to sell, all we will go with is the money we save between now and going (which is going to be hard as oh has just been laid off, and i only work very part time). our plan is to save at least £10k...we figure that is a sensible amount of money to start up with. We have a jar for £2 coins which is filling up nicely....so saving money doesnt have to be '£500 a month at least'...you can squirrel quite a bit away if you are careful, and all those little bits soon add up.
like you, we dont have foreign holidays cos we cant afford them - a couple of weekends a year in the tent is all we can manage, and thats only been in the last couple of years. before then, it was a day away to the coast.

part of life skills you teach your kids is about reaching out and taking well-planned, well-thought out chances; what a fantastic example of exploring the world you are setting - you are researching, networking and looking for alternatives to the nine-to-five culture the majority of people strive for.....even if you only go for a couple of years ( which is what we are doing as a starting point - if we find we all like it then we will stay) your kids will be able to say 'yeah, we lived there for a couple of years when we were kids - we used to play outside all year round' yadda yadda....the technicalities would be lost on them anyway...the blood sweat and tears that go into the actual move will soon be forgotten when they have the excitement of starting a new school and making new freinds etc.

as a fall back, have a get out plan - we intend to put money to one side so we have the airfare back. get yourself down to your local council and get your names on the housing list (use a relatives address when you go away so you have a reference point) so if you have to come back you have a starting point for getting somewhere to live. ring the benefits place up and ask them what you would be entitled to if you came back...you CAN plan for the worst case scenario. Find out which friends/relis would be willing to put you up for a couple of weeks if you came home.....get your names on a couple of work agencies books...then you can just update your details if you need to use them if you come back.

id go for it....even if its just 6 months - life is a learning curve, and its also very short, so make the most of it.

sorry, waffled an awful lot there. spose only you know if the move is right for you and your family. but it doesnt have to be forever - just remember that - you can come back!!!
Old Mar 24th 2006, 9:05 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
ok, our situation is - me and oh im 40 next year, he's 42. we have 3 kids - an 8 yr old girl and 5 yr old twin boys.
we have NO house to sell, all we will go with is the money we save between now and going (which is going to be hard as oh has just been laid off, and i only work very part time). our plan is to save at least £10k...we figure that is a sensible amount of money to start up with. We have a jar for £2 coins which is filling up nicely....so saving money doesnt have to be '£500 a month at least'...you can squirrel quite a bit away if you are careful, and all those little bits soon add up.
like you, we dont have foreign holidays cos we cant afford them - a couple of weekends a year in the tent is all we can manage, and thats only been in the last couple of years. before then, it was a day away to the coast.

part of life skills you teach your kids is about reaching out and taking well-planned, well-thought out chances; what a fantastic example of exploring the world you are setting - you are researching, networking and looking for alternatives to the nine-to-five culture the majority of people strive for.....even if you only go for a couple of years ( which is what we are doing as a starting point - if we find we all like it then we will stay) your kids will be able to say 'yeah, we lived there for a couple of years when we were kids - we used to play outside all year round' yadda yadda....the technicalities would be lost on them anyway...the blood sweat and tears that go into the actual move will soon be forgotten when they have the excitement of starting a new school and making new freinds etc.

as a fall back, have a get out plan - we intend to put money to one side so we have the airfare back. get yourself down to your local council and get your names on the housing list (use a relatives address when you go away so you have a reference point) so if you have to come back you have a starting point for getting somewhere to live. ring the benefits place up and ask them what you would be entitled to if you came back...you CAN plan for the worst case scenario. Find out which friends/relis would be willing to put you up for a couple of weeks if you came home.....get your names on a couple of work agencies books...then you can just update your details if you need to use them if you come back.

id go for it....even if its just 6 months - life is a learning curve, and its also very short, so make the most of it.

sorry, waffled an awful lot there. spose only you know if the move is right for you and your family. but it doesnt have to be forever - just remember that - you can come back!!!

We kinnda always knew we could come back, but the practical advice here is bloody good When did you get so sensible

As I said , it is just soooooooooo reassuring to know people are in the same mad boat as us, think i was reading too many posts from 'accountants ', recently. Thanks again to yourself and all the others who have replied. It really does mean alot, as you all probably know, i usually just post rubbish, but this has been a well needed crutch tonight.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 9:09 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret2
We kinnda always knew we could come back, but the practical advice here is bloody good When did you get so sensible

As I said , it is just soooooooooo reassuring to know people are in the same mad boat as us, think i was reading too many posts from 'accountants ', recently. Thanks again to yourself and all the others who have replied. It really does mean alot, as you all probably know, i usually just post rubbish, but this has been a well needed crutch tonight.

Yes, some "accountants" could give us all a complex - IF we let them!

Have a fab weekend hun, let your hair down, have a few and you'll be back to "normal" in no time!!!
Old Mar 24th 2006, 9:16 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, I use to be quite intimidated by the mortgage free, no money worries people.

Until I realised that homesickness doesnt discriminate, emotional rollercoasters take any shape or size. What I am saying is, money whilst it helps smooth your path in life, it doesn't buy attitude, nor does lack of it.

When we get to Perth, we will be in the cheapest accommodation, have the cheapest car, work in 2 jobs each if we have to and all hours.

No pool, probably little time to lounge on the beach and will have to work hard to earn the luxuries. They wont be bought in a month.

Buy all the things you want straight away and the life you have worked so hard to obtain becomes meaningless.

Work your nuts off to get the little things and be prepared for the slog, then you appreciate what comes your way.

We will do what we have to do to get by and we will be satisfied in the fact that whilst we are working hard, we are in the country we will call 'home' and will have the chance to 'play hard' later on.

I am not saying that a hundred grand wouldnt go amiss, because it would thank you very much.

Im just saying that an easy ride of it financially is not always the only way to survive.

You can do that by hard work and determination as well.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 9:23 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
To be honest, I use to be quite intimidated by the mortgage free, no money worries people.

Until I realised that homesickness doesnt discriminate, emotional rollercoasters take any shape or size. What I am saying is, money whilst it helps smooth your path in life, it doesn't buy attitude, nor does lack of it.

When we get to Perth, we will be in the cheapest accommodation, have the cheapest car, work in 2 jobs each if we have to and all hours.

No pool, probably little time to lounge on the beach and will have to work hard to earn the luxuries. They wont be bought in a month.

Buy all the things you want straight away and the life you have worked so hard to obtain becomes meaningless.

Work your nuts off to get the little things and be prepared for the slog, then you appreciate what comes your way.

We will do what we have to do to get by and we will be satisfied in the fact that whilst we are working hard, we are in the country we will call 'home' and will have the chance to 'play hard' later on.

I am not saying that a hundred grand wouldnt go amiss, because it would thank you very much.

Im just saying that an easy ride of it financially is not always the only way to survive.

You can do that by hard work and determination as well.
And you will probably appreciate the things you have more because you had to strive so hard to get them!
Old Mar 24th 2006, 9:24 pm

Right girls, barbie at my house, when i get there
Old Mar 24th 2006, 9:26 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Right girls, barbie at my house, when i get there

A tartan party.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

upthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud of

Perhaps I'm pmt, perhaps it's the weather or perhaps I've just been hanging around this forum too long.

But i am really beginning too think that perhaps we shouldn't go to Australia.

The maximum we could take would be £30,000 and this would be the absolute max. What seems like an age ago we were bound for Perth and looking forward to it. I now think that this is a big no, no, as lately on this forum you must be, well , what seems to me, mega rich to go there.

I have spoken to a few people on here who are in a similar financial situation as us, but then they are 10 years younger (we are both 42 with 2 kids).

And kiwichild, no matter what happens , we are not going to Tasmania ,

Obviously we don't have a superb lifestyle here, e.g, we don't go to Europe or abroad for hols, as we simply cannot afford it, even though both of us work. But what we have worked hard at, is to give our kids the best life we can afford and i don't mean materially.

So posters feel free to be brutally honest, would we be better off staying putt. If we only had ourselves to consider, then we would go with just the clothes on our back if necessary, but we have our 2 girls to think of.
most of us replying to this thread are in the same boat as you.Your life there might be the same here as in what you can and cant afford but at least you will be able to live and not just exist.With the good weather, lovely beaches,free bbqs you could have a good life.We to are going to give our children a better life and hopefully get one ourselves to.Ignore when people say you need loads of money to start with,How did you start your life in the uk?We had nothing except a one bedroom flat with 2 kids and have just made the best of whatever life has thrown at us.I think you will be fine with that amount of money.that would be enough to get a little car,school uniforms,deposit on rental and enough to pay maybe a year up front and if you manage to get a job then your no different to what you have here.If you havent paid off your mortgage in the uk then you dont own the house as such anyway.Just go for it and if it fails the uk will still be here for you to come back to.I think these are thoughts that must of us have so i wouldnt worry.try not to let all you read on this site upset you as there are lots of good people on here as i found out a couple of weeks ago when i was having a bad time with some things written.All the best in whatever you decide to do.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 9:38 pm

Me again

Thanks, you guys, the replies were fab and so were the pm's, and got meself lots of karma, lol.

No it was really, really, really, appreciated, i owe you all a beer, it has got my brain into the right frame of mind again, well that and the wine

Lots and lots of love Margaret
Old Mar 24th 2006, 9:40 pm

Me again

Thanks, you guys, the replies were fab and so were the pm's, and got meself lots of karma, lol.

No it was really, really, really, appreciated, i owe you all a beer, it has got my brain into the right frame of mind again, well that and the wine

Lots and lots of love Margaret

Was my karma blank Margaret? I can never tell.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Was my karma blank Margaret? I can never tell.

No, it was fully loaded, i don't give a **** about the karma, but i like the nice wee messages that go with it
Old Mar 24th 2006, 10:03 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ill get you some slippers for your cold feet
Old Mar 24th 2006, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by ScottyTee
Ill get you some slippers for your cold feet

Make them sheepskin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.