Too Old To Go?

Old Jul 19th 2004, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

pauli71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Too Old To Go?

It was 17 months ago we decided to apply for immigration i am 43, wifey 41 ,and squids 15 , 13 , & 9 I am self employed enjoy a decent financial lifestyle,have a property in europe,eldest children at very good grammar schools etc.but unhappy with all the usual nonsense hence the decision to emmigrate. But now it is coming to conclusion.All the fears come creeping in !starting a new business ,education,financial ruin,coming back skint,kids losing opportunity of uni,etc ,etc, SHOWTIME.... should we stay or should we go,I really want to be brave but am i too OLD! :scared: :scared:
Old Jul 19th 2004, 8:24 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

I think cut off age is 45 for migrants - however your still young enough to live the dream.

Go for it !

Old Jul 19th 2004, 8:29 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too Old To Go?

Originally posted by pauli71
It was 17 months ago we decided to apply for immigration i am 43, wifey 41 ,and squids 15 , 13 , & 9 I am self employed enjoy a decent financial lifestyle,have a property in europe,eldest children at very good grammar schools etc.but unhappy with all the usual nonsense hence the decision to emmigrate. But now it is coming to conclusion.All the fears come creeping in !starting a new business ,education,financial ruin,coming back skint,kids losing opportunity of uni,etc ,etc, SHOWTIME.... should we stay or should we go,I really want to be brave but am i too OLD! :scared: :scared:
You're certainly not too old! I think most people will get cold feet at some stage (usually at crunch time like yourself I would wager). I would get the family together and draw up a list of reasons to go and reasons to stay and see which is the bigger list.
You obviously felt strongly enough 17 months ago so think back and see what has changed in that time.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

pauli71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up TOO OLD?

Thanks for the encouragement Thats just what i need after reading some of the doom and gloom post's still at least we all get a balanced view on matters.:lecture:
Old Jul 19th 2004, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

malpjc is an unknown quantity at this point

alright pauli,
it really comes down to how big are your balls,i know exactly how you feel and it sounds like you have more at stake than i do,i've worked bloody hard to have what i have now,as i'm sure everybody else has,but how i looked at it was if i've done ok here in the uk why can't i do the same out in oz.it comes down to how bad you want it and if you're mentally prepared.i have sought loads of advice on this forum and everyone has been really helpful,i've had replies that tell you how it is from both sides and at the end of the day i thought sod it,have a look at the reasons that made you want to migrate in the first place,are they strong enough for you to risk it not working,only you know the answer to that.i have had loads of talks with my wife about all the negatives that have popped up and we just go through the pros and cons of everything and so far nothing has come up that has put us off.after saying all this i know it could still go wrong for us but we are prepared to take the risk.
good luck & best wishes
Old Jul 19th 2004, 10:02 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Paul,
Mal is right.
Only you can decide.
It won't necessarily be about deciding what is right to do but what you feel you must do.

Maybe in your situation you should be thankful for what you have and grow and expand upon it.

On the other hand do you have the burning desire to strike out for Aus ? A lot of people here have that feeling and it sometimes surpasses what appears to be common sense.

We all have doubts at some time but don't use age as the reason. That is a blind.

Wish you well in your decision process
Old Jul 19th 2004, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Handyandy180 is an unknown quantity at this point

Right ya big softee. Get yourself applied. Yes you may regret it for the rest of your life (i doubt it) but then again you may not!!!! You only get one go in this life. This is not a dress rehersal for the next!!!!
First of all ask yourself why you want to live in Australia? I would also ask all the family what they want? In fact that is your first starting point.
Give yourself a reason, ie is it an adventure your looking for? Is it that you may think that you will make a million (sorry but very few do). Is it a better lifestyle your looking for and how are you going to acheive it?

Me??
Oh yes i'm 44 on the 29th of this month. Just finished a five year degree course, with the usual student debts.
Sky dived in Cairns last year, Bungee jumped the year before, attended a conflict in Saudi Arabia and flew with the Red Arrows in Cyprus.
So why did i decide to apply? Well we both decided because we want an adventure, we want to have some happiness and think that we may be able to find it in Australia. If we are wrong then so what (who's going to care and condemn you) at least we tried.
Anyhow no matter what you choose good luck!!
Forest Gump's mum may have been right and that life is a box of chocolates, and you never know what your gonna get.
Having said that unless you take the wrapper of you never will?
Good luck to all that are trying
Regards Chris and Andrea
Old Jul 19th 2004, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Handyandy180 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry about the softee bit m8. My strange sence of Tyke humour hope i didn't offend?
Old Jul 19th 2004, 10:33 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Paul,

Too old?

Nooooo - HandyAndy180 is 44, so am I - admittedly I was 43 when my visa was actually granted but had my birthday since (oh yes, was in Adelaide on the hottest day there since 1939 - 44.3 degrees C, bring it on!! )

Age is a state of mind when it comes to this kind of decision.

It's up to you whether the reasons to go outweigh the reasons to stay - everyone's scales are different on this.

Do you have your visas? Is it cold feet - quite understandable but a reminder to check that balance of reasons.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Elaine M

Old Jul 20th 2004, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Friwis is just really niceFriwis is just really niceFriwis is just really niceFriwis is just really niceFriwis is just really niceFriwis is just really niceFriwis is just really niceFriwis is just really niceFriwis is just really nice

I share your feelings exactly !!! We've been planning to go to Oz for about three years now. We're a French/Kiwi couple with 2 kids, 8 and 3, but fortunately all have NZ nationality so no visas for Oz to worry about. Sold our house in March and moved into a rented place and have left most of our possessions all packed up and ready to go even. We plan to go out between Xmas and NY, ready for the new school year, but as the departure looms ever closer, and hubby's 45th birthday tomorrow, here come the sleepless nights and the cold feet !

The main worry is really about finding work - on one hand, we've done this kind of move several times before, and we think we're flexible and adaptable and ready to put our hands to anything if we have to, but there is still that nagging worry about the real risk of losing everything we've worked hard for over the last years, if it all goes completely wrong ....

We are excited one minute and petrified the next, some days I feel as if I just can't physically take that step, and yet still feel that if we don't do it, we'll miss out on something that would be terrific for all of us......
Old Jul 20th 2004, 10:46 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We have just submitted my partners TRA he is self employed and 44 (lots more paperwork to submit if your self employed took us a while to get it together) the cut off point is 45 as long as you have your DIMIA applicatin in before you are 45 then you are ok
Old Jul 20th 2004, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Know the feeling about cold feet. I have to pay for our tickets today or cancel. Why do I feel like this. Already done a move from NZ to UK so I know I can do it.
Have got the kids into good school and have one best friend in Briss. Only trouble is Hubby has to come back to UK and work for 6 months. So should I go and manage or wait and all go as a family. My brain is hurting!!
Old Jul 20th 2004, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pauli71
It was 17 months ago we decided to apply for immigration i am 43

Hi

Take heart from others that are older. I'm 51 and applying for a contributory parent visa. I have a nice house, excellent job and company car. my wife ditto.
we're giving all this up for a life in Melbourne with our daughter.
We'll still have to find jobs if we can and start life all over again.Is it worth it......We think so but I'll let you know.

If you really want to do it then just do it
Old Jul 20th 2004, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Sherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the rough

Hi, Have you visited OZ, its a great country and there are lots of opportunities in such a young developing country. You may not make as much money as here, but you will probably enjoy your life more as theres fewer people, and the standard of living is a lot higher than the UK!!
We are in a similar situation BUT OLDER, Peter 44,works for himself, has great business,loves his work, etc and me 46 and kids 14,11 and 9. We have always thought we wanted a warmer climate and better lifestyle.(even tho' most people think we are have done very well here...!!!)
Spent some time (and money) last year looking at different places to emigrate to, we visited Oz, USA and Canada and Australia definitely gets our vote.
Life over there puts our life here in the bottom league.
The aussie weather means they have a more outdoor life, more fun, less stress and theres a much better future for our kids out there. Our kids have great schools and friends here but they have not forgotten it and can't wait to return. The property prices, and crime rates are a lot lower......
We feel we will enjoy our life more over there and if you're older you have more experience, less time to waste, so get on and give it a go.
A holiday out there is a luxury for many people but it will open your eyes to what you're missing!!! Otherwise follow your heart and give it a go, our kids are more confident and we are all more aware for our adventure. Life is for living!!
Best wishes,
Sherie
Old Jul 20th 2004, 6:20 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 61 and if I don't go now I probably will never do it!

So - go for it. Anything has to be better than the way this country is turning out!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.