Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Too many Old Buggers in Australia

Too many Old Buggers in Australia

Old Feb 26th 2003, 12:49 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Too many Old Buggers in Australia

Hope that you good people are the right end of 30 this is becoming a old peoples home for the workless and those over the hill.

PETER Costello has warned cabinet that every future budget will need to contain "tough decisions" on welfare, health, labour markets and retirement to deal with the nation's ageing population.

Mr Costello warned his cabinet colleagues the pressure of the ageing population on expenditure, particularly health, would mean tough decisions in every budget

The Treasurer urged cabinet yesterday to pursue in the short term the reforms of the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme, blocked last year by the Senate, and changes to the welfare system.

Mr Costello ruled out income tax credits as a way of encouraging people to get off welfare and into the workforce, favouring instead the removal of disincentives in the tax and welfare payment system.

Reserve Bank governor Ian Macfarlane had raised similar concerns in his cabinet address on Monday, John Howard said.

In a 45-minute presentation on the demographic challenges facing Australia, the theme of his Intergenerational Report in the last budget, Mr Costello emphasised the need for getting more work out of the workforce rather than trying to encourage a lift in fertility through government measures.

Old Feb 26th 2003, 2:14 am
pankala

Default Re: Too many Old Buggers in Australia

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Hope that you good people are the right end of 30 this is becoming a old peoples home for the workless and those over the hill.

PETER Costello has warned cabinet that every future budget will need to contain "tough decisions" on welfare, health, labour markets and retirement to deal with the nation's ageing population.

Mr Costello warned his cabinet colleagues the pressure of the ageing population on expenditure, particularly health, would mean tough decisions in every budget

The Treasurer urged cabinet yesterday to pursue in the short term the reforms of the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme, blocked last year by the Senate, and changes to the welfare system.

Mr Costello ruled out income tax credits as a way of encouraging people to get off welfare and into the workforce, favouring instead the removal of disincentives in the tax and welfare payment system.

Reserve Bank governor Ian Macfarlane had raised similar concerns in his cabinet address on Monday, John Howard said.

In a 45-minute presentation on the demographic challenges facing Australia, the theme of his Intergenerational Report in the last budget, Mr Costello emphasised the need for getting more work out of the workforce rather than trying to encourage a lift in fertility through government measures.

Nice if they'd lower taxes or raise the Reasonable Retirement Benefits limits so that old over the hill buggers like me (53) could afford to work.

Old Feb 26th 2003, 2:22 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pankala
Nice if they'd lower taxes or raise the Reasonable Retirement Benefits limits so that old over the hill buggers like me (53) could afford to work.

I am sure thats theres life in the old dog yet , what work are you after?

Old Feb 26th 2003, 2:32 am
pankala

I am sure thats theres life in the old dog yet , what work are you after?

I had thought of Chief Pom Teaser but there are too many enthusiastic amateurs, also falling market share. Should broaden my qualifications, any suggestions?

Old Feb 26th 2003, 3:02 am
Banned

I had thought of Chief Pom Teaser but there are too many enthusiastic amateurs, also falling market share. Should broaden my qualifications, any suggestions?
You are good at it keep the punters guessing I could learn at the feet of a master , try the goverment they love spin doctors how about a new department Australian Pom Educators.

Old Feb 26th 2003, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Inked is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahhh now I understand what your problem is....confusion.

You don't want more folk, you do want lower taxes and you do want higer retirement benefits... how is that all meant to be paid for ?????

I'll tell you , paid for by people like me, that have skills in demand, that can work, pay the higher rates of tax you have in Australia, willing to put what we can into the community. I believe strongly in a welfare state, one where the old and sick are cared for and all young are guaranteed a good education, but I also am not stupid enough to think that this can all be achieved without someone paying for it!!!

It would be a nice statistic for PB to dig out, what percentage of recent immigrants (say in the last 5 years) contribute nothing to the Australian economy (working or just spending thier cash brought from their place of birth). Oh and why is it so easy to get in to Australia if you have a shed load of cash to invest, its because Australia needs it.

Last edited by Inked; Feb 26th 2003 at 7:37 am.
Old Feb 26th 2003, 10:13 am
pankala

Originally posted by Inked
Ahhh now I understand what your problem is....confusion.

You don't want more folk, you do want lower taxes and you do want higer retirement benefits... how is that all meant to be paid for ?????

I'll tell you , paid for by people like me, that have skills in demand, that can work, pay the higher rates of tax you have in Australia, willing to put what we can into the community. I believe strongly in a welfare state, one where the old and sick are cared for and all young are guaranteed a good education, but I also am not stupid enough to think that this can all be achieved without someone paying for it!!!

It would be a nice statistic for PB to dig out, what percentage of recent immigrants (say in the last 5 years) contribute nothing to the Australian economy (working or just spending thier cash brought from their place of birth). Oh and why is it so easy to get in to Australia if you have a shed load of cash to invest, its because Australia needs it.
The place has far too many people already for my taste but I'd be surprised if everyone agrees with me. In a nasty world the only reason for more people is defence capability. Will probably bugger up the reason for wanting to defend it in the first place.

Don't need your dough, I'm alright for the moment thanks Jack. Paid for my own retirement, no defined benefit pension here. In Australia, if one has more than the Reasonable Benefit Limit in one's superannuation, one pays the highest marginal tax rate - a strong disincentive to working, or invest for that matter.

I look forward to being pleasantly surprised by your achievements in Australia. Maybe you are just the ticket.

Old Feb 26th 2003, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Inked is an unknown quantity at this point

The place has far too many people already for my taste but I'd be surprised if everyone agrees with me. In a nasty world the only reason for more people is defence capability. Will probably bugger up the reason for wanting to defend it in the first place.

Don't need your dough, I'm alright for the moment thanks Jack. Paid for my own retirement, no defined benefit pension here. In Australia, if one has more than the Reasonable Benefit Limit in one's superannuation, one pays the highest marginal tax rate - a strong disincentive to working, or invest for that matter.

I look forward to being pleasantly surprised by your achievements in Australia. Maybe you are just the ticket.
Well you just never know do you..
Your 'I'm alright' attitude says quite a lot -

Last edited by Inked; Feb 26th 2003 at 12:57 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2003, 8:46 pm
pankala

Originally posted by Inked
Well you just never know do you..
Your 'I'm alright' attitude says quite a lot -
"Please Explain"? (Pauline Hanson circa 2000)

Old Feb 26th 2003, 11:41 pm
2thick

You are good at it keep the punters guessing I could learn at the feet of a master , try the goverment they love spin doctors how about a new department Australian Pom Educators.

Ha ha - PB you have inadvertently hit the nail on the head. Australian Pom Educators i.e. acronymn APES. They should be able to provide the right level of discourse to educate you and your mates. Scratch, scratch, grunt (whinge about Oz), gnash (more Oz whine), grunt, scratch, wail (woe is me living in Oz), swat, scratch,grunt ,BEER (Oz beer is ****), wail, wail, MORE BEER, grunt (Oz dreamers 'BURP' stupid sods)!! Aaaargghh!!

2thick

Old Feb 26th 2003, 11:56 pm
pankala

Originally posted by 2thick
Ha ha - PB you have inadvertently hit the nail on the head. Australian Pom Educators i.e. acronymn APES. They should be able to provide the right level of discourse to educate you and your mates. Scratch, scratch, grunt (whinge about Oz), gnash (more Oz whine), grunt, scratch, wail (woe is me living in Oz), swat, scratch,grunt ,BEER (Oz beer is ****), wail, wail, MORE BEER, grunt (Oz dreamers 'BURP' stupid sods)!! Aaaargghh!!

2thick

Could you enlighten us on the finer points of the distingish between the Great APES, Urang Utang and Pomus Thickus? Are both equally intelligent and cuddly?

BTW: you forgot the buttie induced flatulance.

Old Feb 26th 2003, 11:59 pm
Banned

Originally posted by 2thick

2thick
Nice to see that you woken up again 2smart and your input level is well up to standard , you have the nail on the head also again without knowing it .
What you have posted sums up your average Aussie but in no way is Pankala that , far to clever for a Sun reader like yourself.

Old Feb 27th 2003, 12:36 am
pankala

Nice to see that you woken up again 2smart and your input level is well up to standard , you have the nail on the head also again without knowing it .
What you have posted sums up your average Aussie but in no way is Pankala that , far to clever for a Sun reader like yourself.

Is it possible to be funny, even cutting (to quickly make a point), without putting down the not too bright? Else we will all meet our intellectual maker one day.

Old Feb 27th 2003, 2:37 am
Banned

Is it possible to be funny, even cutting (to quickly make a point), without putting down the not too bright? Else we will all meet our intellectual maker one day.
This is very deep I take you are good at chess too?

Old Feb 27th 2003, 4:19 am
pankala

This is very deep I take you are good at chess too?
Instant expert at EVERY-LAST-BLOODY-THING! Sometimes I even frighten myself!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.