Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Too little in savings to emigrate?

Too little in savings to emigrate?

Old Jan 1st 2009, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

dogscogs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Too little in savings to emigrate?

Originally Posted by CatherineF
We will probably only have £2,000 in savings once flights, etc are paid for.

Is it too much of a gamble to emigrate with so little in savings? Even with a permanent job offer? If it was just me and my husband then we'd definitely take the gamble with no hesitation. We're keen to be settled as soon as possible because our eldest son needs to start school soon.

Thanks,
Catherine
Does the 2,000 include your initial accomodation costs and a budget for food for the first month?

I moved to Sydney with my wife and Son in October, our expenses ran to paying for a furnished apartment for the first 6 weeks, hire car, food, PAYG mobiles and internet access (not essential but I arrived without a job lined up so they were essential for me), deposit on a flat (two weeks rent up front + a rental bond) and a contingency fund since my income was not guaranteed prior to arrival.

I'd say anyone's costs will run over 2k, since the rental deposit will eat that in one go unless you intend to A) live in a broom cupboard shared with students or B) want to commute 3 hours each way.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 10:49 pm
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

The most important thing is a job that covers all your bills/expenses each week....if you'vre got that... you're be fine.

Lots of people come over with far more than that and end up going home and the main reason given is they've spend all their saving on all those very things above and now are skint......because they could'nt get a job.

all the best plumb.....
Old Jan 1st 2009, 11:21 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Catherine, we came over in May 2008 in a very similar situation to yourself, although with no children to worry about. My husband took an intra-company transfer and they relocated us; we would not have risked it in any other circumstances.

We have savings squirrelled away for a rainy day (hopefully house purchase!) but essentially moved with whatever was in our current account, i.e., the month's salary.

As folks above have said, you will have some set-up costs. I'll try to list a few of ours although your situation may be different.

We were fortunate to get our first month's rent paid and also a rental car until we got our own (which is on a novated lease so no major outlay there). We had to pay the bond on the house, i.e., one month's rent - thankfully we had one returned from our rental in Singapore that more than covered it but this can be a major outlay.

In our case we came from a place where white goods are provided in rentals, so we had to buy all our white goods. The fridge alone was about $1400. We had to buy heaters (tip: don't move in winter ) and a GPS although not essential came in very handy. Our shipping only took a couple of weeks so we rented furniture for a month (company paid) but there is always something you need to buy - Ikea kitchen starter kit, etc. You need to think about your own situation with regard to this.

We also had to pay for our cats' hotel bills.

IIRC you have to pay some deposits for utilities, too. Gas springs to mind as I know we are still in credit.

You have to eat. If you are in a serviced apartment, holiday let, waiting for your shipping, etc., you 'll eat out more than you normally would.

If you assume you'll have to wait a month for a salary, I have to be honest and say I think 2000GBP is cutting it very fine.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lerato
Hi Catherine,

I guess it depends how careful you are with your money and what kind of lifestyle level you are used to? Personally, I'm moving with just me and will have approx £8 - £9,000 after flights etc. I'm going to Sydney and would feel uncomfortable with less tha £4 or £5k, just for my own peace of mind.

Things can soon add up, if you take private health insurance, costs for your son's schooling (I believe the schooling may be free depending on visa but people say uniform, books and other costs are quite expensive).

Saying all this, I'm sure others have managed with less or similar to yourself. Maybe start tallying up expected costs for when you arrive. Will yourself or partner be earning relatively quickly once there?

lerato
no i would not go & i think you know the answer before you asked it. I think £5.000 is unrelalistic as well.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

CatherineF will become famous soon enoughCatherineF will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by eugene43
no i would not go & i think you know the answer before you asked it. I think £5.000 is unrelalistic as well.
If I knew the answer, I wouldn't have wasted my time asking.
Thanks for all who offered constructive feedback.

Catherine
Old Jan 1st 2009, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

CatherineF will become famous soon enoughCatherineF will become famous soon enough

A few people have mentioned deposits for utilities. Can anyone give me a rough idea of how much the deposit would be?

Thanks,
Catherine
Old Jan 1st 2009, 11:51 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

A few people have mentioned deposits for utilities. Can anyone give me a rough idea of how much the deposit would be?

Thanks,
Catherine
Never had to pay that ourselves (just so you know I would be shocked having to pay) mind we did have too prepay alot of charges upfront but not in form of deposit.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 11:59 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,
Catherine
Let me try to find out the exact details and get back to you. As a trailing spouse I parked my brain and no longer deal with the finances.

edit: Had to pay them in Singapore too so not much of a shock. We are after all foreigners with no credit history. Their return when you leave is a nice little bonus, at least.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 12:11 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

If I knew the answer, I wouldn't have wasted my time asking.
Thanks for all who offered constructive feedback.

Catherine
So in effect, you only want people to tell you what you want to hear, which is go for it?

I live in Sydney, have done so for 4yrs. We are a middle aged couple with no dependant children and OH has a well paid job, so i feel we are experienced enough to make comment on your situation.

I am known for being blunt, so here goes...

If you think it is a wise move to transport yourself to the other side of the world bringing small children with you, jeopardsing their security and wellbeing by doing so with a mere £2000, you are either incredibly naive or extremely stupid.

Sorry if that offends, but thats the bottom line...sorry.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 12:13 am
Auntie Fa

Ok The Geek can't remember what he had for tea last night so is struggling to recall what we paid for upfront in May Looking at the bills:

$150 Gas Security Deposit.
$59 Telephone line connection.
$60 TPG Internet set-up. We also bought a $150 router.
$280 Foxtel set-up - sounds ridiculous to me but he says we paid this rather than commit to a long-term contract (our life is not stable and we got burned before) and also I think there are often free offers for this.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
So in effect, you only want people to tell you what you want to hear, which is go for it?
That is not what I want to hear at all. I am interested in all opinions. I simply don't appreciate being told I am asking a question to which I already know the answer. I would not have asked if I wasn't genuinely conflicted.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

Millie11 will become famous soon enough

I'm trying to decide if my family (myself, my husband and our two young sons) can continue with our plan to emigrate to Australia in the spring/summer of 2009. I'd appreciate any advice and a fresh perspective.

My husband applied for a 175 visa in October 2008. He works in IT and his profession is on the MODL. He is in the process of securing a transfer from his company's Dutch office to a new office they are opening in Sydney.

Our problem is that our savings are going to be minimal due to the current economic situation. We have to sell our house because our mortgage provider will not permit us to rent it out. We have had a number of offers, and all have been lower than we were hoping for. House prices are set to continue to fall through 2009. We will probably only have £2,000 in savings once flights, etc are paid for.

Is it too much of a gamble to emigrate with so little in savings? Even with a permanent job offer? If it was just me and my husband then we'd definitely take the gamble with no hesitation. We're keen to be settled as soon as possible because our eldest son needs to start school soon.

Thanks,
Catherine
I live in Sydney (west Pymble) and the house, which is nothing special cost $ 780 a week, bond was $ 3000. Transport for husband is approx. $ 34 a week and takes 1.5 hours each way to Paddington. Nursery cost $ 72 a day.

My advise to you is to stay in UK. It's just too big a gamble with 2 small kids.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 1:11 am
Auntie Fa

I wouldn't say shelve the plans completely. I would say try your best to save a bit more before you come - ideally a couple of months' salary - and also clarify just what the company will pay for. Get it all in writing.

If it's a transfer, be sure to have any probationary period waived (as did we) and also as GG says, ask for repatriation - you can maybe negotiate this within a certain time period.

I'm unclear from the initial post whether or not the company is driving this transfer, so can't really comment on how strong a case you have for all of these terms, but Don't Ask, Don't Get.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 1:21 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

I'm trying to decide if my family (myself, my husband and our two young sons) can continue with our plan to emigrate to Australia in the spring/summer of 2009. I'd appreciate any advice and a fresh perspective.

My husband applied for a 175 visa in October 2008. He works in IT and his profession is on the MODL. He is in the process of securing a transfer from his company's Dutch office to a new office they are opening in Sydney.

Our problem is that our savings are going to be minimal due to the current economic situation. We have to sell our house because our mortgage provider will not permit us to rent it out. We have had a number of offers, and all have been lower than we were hoping for. House prices are set to continue to fall through 2009. We will probably only have £2,000 in savings once flights, etc are paid for.

Thanks,
Catherine
Hi Catherine,

wouldn't £2000 give you $4158 give or take a bit depending on exchange rate if you are securing a rental your self you will need money for the bond usually 4 weeks rent. ours was $1400 then as soon as you secure a rental you pay two weeks rent upfront you have a few days extra to pay the bond.

so if you are doing all that your self you wont have much left over, plus all houses are unfurnished, you get a few furnished but hard to get and as far as I know Sydney is very expensive. I wonder if you could secure a short term rental that furnished to start you off or an apartment at least for the first 3 months. check out gumtreehttp://sydney.gumtree.com.au/f-Unit-House-Real-Estate-house-unit-apartment-rental-W0QQCatIdZ18364 or http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...=bhp&t=ren&cu=

If your DH company is looking after the relocation and you will have work and some were to live when you arrive. then I think $4000 would be enough. but that is just me. if you close enough to the city public transport could get you from A to B . only problem would be getting the food home.

its a worry and a gamble isn't it,
we came over with about $4000 and it was very hard but we got there in the end. we were staying with friends at first and sadly they turned out to be the worst people I ever met in my life, but then that's another story ID research and research and then see will it work.

good luck
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 2:42 am
Just Joined

Noocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to all

Thanks,
Catherine
Catherine, setting up in a permanent location with £2000 would be very difficult - bond, rent in advance, furniture, food, etc. - plus a gap between your husband starting work and then actually getting paid (usually two weeks here in Aust.). I would try to find a temporary place to begin with, like a short-term furnished apartment, say for 3 months. It will cost more than a standard rental property, but at least you would have few other outlays. Then, once you are here, you will be able to judge the cost of setting up, save what you need, and then move somewhere more permanent.

Do a websearch. Here is one site (but there are lots more):

http://www.shortstays.net/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.