Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

is it too late to import??

is it too late to import??

Old May 7th 2012, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

k974 will become famous soon enough
Default is it too late to import??

Hi i bought a bmw m5 in 2003, moved to australia in 2005, put it in storage when i moved and its still in storage, got my pr in 2008 and citzenship in 2010, is it to late to import this car as a personal import given that i owned it overseas for the 12months prior to coming to australia.

i presume it is and should have been done back in 2005 but could anyone let me know if it isnt.

thanks guys.
Old May 7th 2012, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: is it too late to import??

Why would it be too late? You owned it for more than 12 months before moving to Aus? and you still own it now?
Old May 8th 2012, 2:42 am
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

It appears you may only apply for a personal import approval within 6 months of becoming a resident of Australia. Details in the application form here:-

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...plication.aspx
Old May 8th 2012, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

That sucks.. Whats the reason for not letting you import it as and when, as long as its been owned for more than 12 months previously?
Old May 8th 2012, 4:44 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
That sucks.. Whats the reason for not letting you import it as and when, as long as its been owned for more than 12 months previously?

Because they can.
Old May 8th 2012, 7:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Because they can.
Indeed. I would guess that they would expect you to move the vehicle when you moved and think they're doing you a favour giving you six months. Probably think if you're shipping it over after that time, you're only doing so to flog it and so in effect getting around paying tax on a possible large amount of cash. Could be wrong, if so my sincere apologies to the ATO
Old May 8th 2012, 10:44 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Indeed. I would guess that they would expect you to move the vehicle when you moved and think they're doing you a favour giving you six months. Probably think if you're shipping it over after that time, you're only doing so to flog it and so in effect getting around paying tax on a possible large amount of cash. Could be wrong, if so my sincere apologies to the ATO
That's probably bang on.
Once I had arrived and realised just how much money could be made on importing the 'right' cars, I considered setting up a deal with a mate back in the UK, where he would register the car in my name, lets say a Porsche 911, we would split the costs, he would get to drive it for 12 months and then we would ship it over and sell it. I would keep the bulk of the profits and he would get to drive a 'super car' for next to nothing..... and then we realised the ATO had already thought of it before us.
Old May 8th 2012, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
That's probably bang on.
Once I had arrived and realised just how much money could be made on importing the 'right' cars, I considered setting up a deal with a mate back in the UK, where he would register the car in my name, lets say a Porsche 911, we would split the costs, he would get to drive it for 12 months and then we would ship it over and sell it. I would keep the bulk of the profits and he would get to drive a 'super car' for next to nothing..... and then we realised the ATO had already thought of it before us.
Price of European sports cars out here is a disgrace..
Old May 8th 2012, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Price of European sports cars out here is a disgrace..
i agree.

dont get me started on LHD import restrictions.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 11:28 pm
Into the wild

FavouriteFlavia will become famous soon enoughFavouriteFlavia will become famous soon enough

I would advise you to try to lodge an application with Infrastructure to request their approval to import your car. It costs a mere $50 dollars to lodge the form, that's all you have got to loose in case your request is declined.
Like you, we meet all requirements for importing our car but we had first arrived in the country over one year before we applied and we were on a 457 visa. In the form I had included an honest, yet pleading, cover letter explaining the reasons behind applying later than required. As we did not meet all of the requirements, our application went to an administrator for further review. Four weeks after applying, much to our surprise, we received through the post the certificate of approval for importing the car. No harm in trying.