Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Too Hot in Oz / Melbourne?

Too Hot in Oz / Melbourne?

Old Jan 29th 2006, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

minimal has a spectacular aura aboutminimal has a spectacular aura aboutminimal has a spectacular aura about
Default Too Hot in Oz / Melbourne?

For those of us who are concerned that the maximum summer temperatures in some parts of Australia might be excessive, and are looking for information to help guide a choice of destination the following website has some very interesting temperature maps;

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/climat...month&area=aus

Looking at the Maximum temp maps it appears that in Victoria, the coastal area to the east of Phillip Island is significantly cooler than Melbourne / Mornington Peninsula, and that it also gets cooler to the west past Torquay.

Also the South Western bit of WA is similar to coastal Victoria.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too Hot in Oz / Melbourne?

Originally Posted by minimal
For those of us who are concerned that the maximum summer temperatures in some parts of Australia might be excessive, and are looking for information to help guide a choice of destination the following website has some very interesting temperature maps;

Looking at the Maximum temp maps it appears that in Victoria, the coastal area to the east of Phillip Island is significantly cooler than Melbourne / Mornington Peninsula, and that it also gets cooler to the west past Torquay.

All I know is that Perth and Melbourne is bbbbbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrr.. cold. and in winter it is freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzing. :scared:
Old Jan 29th 2006, 8:19 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Gold Coaster
All I know is that Perth and Melbourne is bbbbbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrr.. cold. and in winter it is freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzing. :scared:
The hotter the better. Whats the point of coming all the way to OZ just to live in some cold part of the country and be freezing most of the year, you might as well stay in the UK.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Originally Posted by minimal

Hello

If you are really that concerned please don't go anywhere near Phillip Island!! We are not sure we want you there, try Tasmania - English weather with space.

With regards from Abby, who cannot wait for the heat and the adorable penguins at Phillip Island, or the wombats at the Giant Worm Centre (Gippsland)!
Old Jan 29th 2006, 9:04 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
The hotter the better. Whats the point of coming all the way to OZ just to live in some cold part of the country and be freezing most of the year, you might as well stay in the UK.
You're not just going to OZ for the weather....no, surely not?
Old Jan 29th 2006, 9:17 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

I said that, but after spending a few days in temps over 40 degrees and feeling like I was gonna die, having to still work etc.....hotter is not better - 28 degrees is just right for me!!!

Laura
x
Old Jan 29th 2006, 9:23 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
I said that, but after spending a few days in temps over 40 degrees and feeling like I was gonna die, having to still work etc.....hotter is not better - 28 degrees is just right for me!!!

Laura
x
I love the heat too and like you, after searing heat in Perth of temps above 42c I couldn't wait for it to cool down again! Its not pleasent having to do daily things in that kind of heat. Although we didn't have air con which would have helped, and no pool !!

An ideal temp for me was around 28 too. Anything above and I longed for snow and rain!
Old Jan 29th 2006, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

andrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really niceandrewb is just really nice

Having been in Melbourne for the last month, 40+ degrees is Ok if you are on the beach and on holiday but trying to work in it is not too nice. I am happy to be warmer than the UK by far but am happy in the high 20's. Saying that it is quite noticeable when the temperature does drop below 20, it is sudden;y very cold!!!
Old Jan 29th 2006, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

minimal has a spectacular aura aboutminimal has a spectacular aura aboutminimal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by NIGENABBY
Hello

If you are really that concerned please don't go anywhere near Phillip Island!! We are not sure we want you there, try Tasmania - English weather with space.

With regards from Abby, who cannot wait for the heat and the adorable penguins at Phillip Island, or the wombats at the Giant Worm Centre (Gippsland)!

Well NIGGLYNABBY We've already been there (didn't realise we needed your permission) , I just thought it was an interesting website that some people might find useful.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 7:57 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

hotter the better
Old Jan 30th 2006, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, it is not a nice day unless it is over 40c. You might as well not leave the Y.U.K imo if Perth and Melbourne your destination points. I am dreading the winter here on the Gold Coast because there may be a day that the fleece will have to come out if we drop below 23c. lol
Old Jan 30th 2006, 2:14 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree, it is not a nice day unless it is over 40c. You might as well not leave the Y.U.K imo if Perth and Melbourne your destination points. I am dreading the winter here on the Gold Coast because there may be a day that the fleece will have to come out if we drop below 23c. lol
We've had lovely, hot weather this summer - many days over 35 - reaching 40+ frequently..more than you can say for Brisbane this year (according to someone who lives there)!!, and the winters are significantly better in Melbourne compared to the UK.

Have to say that you don't move just for the weather...that would be really shallow.
Don't know about Perth as I have never been there, but Melbourne/Victoria is a great city/State with lots to do and see......although we have beautiful, fantastic coastline (including some world class surfing beaches) living in Australia is not all about lying on a beach all day getting a tan
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:51 am
A mile High

Location: Noosa, soon to be the US of A (for a little while anyway)
rebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to behold

Do you realise just how much of a twat you sound ???? Believe it or not most people come to Australia for more reasons than 40 plus weather. Yes the warm weather is an added bonus but there are other parts outside of Qld that are equally (if not more ) beautiful.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
We've had lovely, hot weather this summer - many days over 35 - reaching 40+ frequently..more than you can say for Brisbane this year (according to someone who lives there)!!, and the winters are significantly better in Melbourne compared to the UK.

Have to say that you don't move just for the weather...that would be really shallow.
Don't know about Perth as I have never been there, but Melbourne/Victoria is a great city/State with lots to do and see......although we have beautiful, fantastic coastline (including some world class surfing beaches) living in Australia is not all about lying on a beach all day getting a tan

The weather you are been having is an unusual one as is the cool one we are having in Queensland this year. We have only had 39c this year, what is that all about? :scared: We can still put our heating on to reach over the big 40c though. As apposed to being shallow for only moving for the weather, that has to be up there as one of the major factors, doesn't it?. Oh and as for lying on the beaches. Have not done that once since I arrived nearly 3 years ago but it is there if I need it, even in the winter which is something you cannot do In Melbourne and Perth. Agree about the coastline though.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rebabaros
Do you realise just how much of a twat you sound ???? Believe it or not most people come to Australia for more reasons than 40 plus weather. Yes the warm weather is an added bonus but there are other parts outside of Qld that are equally (if not more ) beautiful.

Are there. Please do not resort to profanity it is most unwelcome. If you cannot detect tongue in cheek in a post then you need to do some more chilling out in the sun. Or perhaps you are a little disappointed in your weather?. Again tongue in cheek for your information.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.