Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Too Early to Jack It All In????

Too Early to Jack It All In????

Old Dec 27th 2009, 7:23 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too Early to Jack It All In????

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
Its a free world Sally, or is BE some sort of “fit in with our negative views of Australia or clear off” society?
That's quite hilarious as only a couple of months ago a poster was complaining that this forum was just the opposite.

I'm lucky that my experience of Australia has been mostly great. :touch wood:

But for those who haven't found the experience enjoyable it does help them to discover its not just them, that there are others in the same boat, that they may feel horrific homesickness or disillusionment - but others have felt the same and some of them have still eventually settled here.

I think that's what the OP was wanting to find out.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

ElizabethR will become famous soon enoughElizabethR will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kporte
The fact is there are a whole gamut of people and views on here. I love living in Australia but am considering going back to the UK if my relationship fails completely.Possibly a naive approach but It's a way I can deal with it. I applaud the Australian positive approach to their country but sometimes the negative has to be broached, or what will change what is wrong?

I can understand how only negative comments about Aus can be wearing to an Aus lover but I find as time has passed, I appreciate more and more , their thoughts. I rarely agree, but still can see what they think and feel. I truly believe that a bit more empathy is required. Again I have to state, nothing is black and white....
In Australia we tend not to deal with the negative and yes we should discuss, because if you do not speak up things do not change. That is to me after all these years here now drives me nuts. The everything is perfect, the people that emigrate to Australia complaining about certain aspects of British life , but ignore the same things here.
It is like most of the population have their heads buried in the sand.I for one would love to go'Home'.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

chrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of lightchrissystevo is a glorious beacon of light

I’m sorry, I don’t believe in the therapeutic value of a group of people sitting around bitching about how unhappy they are (in fact it is distinctly unhealthy). I don’t see any value in it at all, and when the target is well off the mark it really piddles me off.
Its just a bunch of people who don’t want to accept responsibility for their own actions.

“Im unhappy, so someone must be to blame for it”.

To be honest, I am a bit embarrassed reading some of the posts here from fellow Englishmen.
Simplw solution - don't come on here and read them.

I am glad you are such a strong, noble Englishman who is happy with his lot, doesn't need the support or advice of others and derides others who do.

I didn't starty this thread saying it was Australias fault for how we felt, just asked for other peoples thoughts. It may surprise you but some people do think it helps them to listen to other peoples experiences, it doesn't work for you, fine, but as I already said you seem such a strong man that you don't need anybodies help. Maybe one day you will!!
Old Dec 28th 2009, 2:36 am
Banned

Very Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant futureVery Happy has a brilliant future

Most ridiculous thread I've seen on here or Pomsinoz and my G0d that's saying something.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 2:56 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Very Happy
Most ridiculous thread I've seen on here or Pomsinoz and my G0d that's saying something.
You must have missed the "will my vibrator work in Oz" and the "lettuce is how much !!" threads.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 3:27 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I live here and dislike heaps of things. Drives me crazy, its like some semi retarded nation with crazy beards and flat, unhumorous dialogue (I am in SE Queensland).

I dont want to go home though.

When I first found BE I was having a downer on things but all the moaning actually cheered me up and made me like it here again. Because I realised I actually liked most of the things people moaned about and didn't like a lot of things about Britain and the British too.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Id say it is a tad early,but maybe you will never like it?
I dont think there is a place on gods earth that hasnt got its downs.
You must be happy within yourself,and only then can you start to enjoy the surroundings!
Old Dec 28th 2009, 3:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Very Happy
Why ridiculous?
People seeking advice & support????
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

[LIST][*]If you ring your mum more than three times a year – forget migrating.[*]If you watch more than 2 hours TV a day – forget migrating.[*]If you go to a major soccer game more than 5 times a year – forget migrating.
I can honestly say I have rarely seen such a moronic statement ever on BE, It actually defies belief that someone can write such nonsense.

God give me strength. I've discovered over the years that if you (general) really don't know what you're talking about, it's far far better to keep your mouth closed than show the rest of the world just how ignorant of the subject you (still general) are.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:10 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I’m not rubbing salt anywhere Polly, but I am not going to allow people to blame a country for their own personal failings.

It’s a simple litmus test:
  • If you ring your mum more than three times a year – forget migrating Bloody stupid, my Dad speaks to me every day except Saturday, he gets free calls and links up to me by phone and facebook, so should I move back to the UK now?.
  • If you watch more than 2 hours TV a day – forget migrating Again, total rubbish, my husband works long hours so I spend alot of time on here in the evenings or if its too hot to go out, and I like watching TV, if I cant find something good on then I watch a DVD, so should I go back to England?.
  • If you go to a major soccer game more than 5 times a year – forget migrating - So Australia does not have any sport that you could get interested in then?.
  • If you are mid 30 and haven’t got decent job – forget migrating I emigrated at 40 years old and was just an administrator for an oil/gas company in the UK, I am still an administrator on far more money and more responsibility - so I shall go back to the UK then?.
  • If you are stuck in a rut and think migrating will fix it – forget migrating
. Crap, I was living in a shite part of London and we wanted to move to Australia, not move to a better part of London, just move countries

As for the turkeys who end up here because of a woman (or man), Jesus – learn to say no and accept that we can’t have all we want. I know guys who have given their entire savings to a girl only to be ripped off. Is that Thailand’s fault? Of course not. If you are so much in love that you lose sight of reality then you shouldn’t be allowed a passport. If you end up here because of someone else and are unhappy – you only have yourself to blame.

And to be frank bitching about it achieves SFA. Stop complaining, take the hit on your love live and/or wallet and go home to mummy.
There are things I dislike about this country - the attitude to drink driving beggars belief although I have met as many POMS that drink/drive as I have Aussies, but nowhere is paradise.

But neither is it as clear cut and as easy as you make out either.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElizabethR
The everything is perfect, the people that emigrate to Australia complaining about certain aspects of British life , but ignore the same things here.
Elizabeth, I think a sizeable proportion of British expats have very strange ideas..it can be very funny but also quite sad.

Originally Posted by viviennef
I live here and dislike heaps of things. Drives me crazy, its like some semi retarded nation with crazy beards and flat, unhumorous dialogue (I am in SE Queensland).

I dont want to go home though.

When I first found BE I was having a downer on things but all the moaning actually cheered me up and made me like it here again. Because I realised I actually liked most of the things people moaned about and didn't like a lot of things about Britain and the British too.
Agreed. For me there is a fine balance you can dance. It's possible to then realise you got through the minefield after all and it lies behind you.

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I can honestly say I have rarely seen such a moronic statement ever on BE, It actually defies belief that someone can write such nonsense.
I think some of Slappy's comments are sort of symbolic and a sort of guideline. I know where he is coming from. You can spot a particular type of expat and how it is going to (sadly) unravel from a mile away - more's the pity.

I can think of similar examples of, admittedly, rough and ready (silly) guidelines which are not any guarantee but give people an idea of whether they are - literally - high-risk, or should proceed with caution.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I think some of Slappy's comments are sort of symbolic and a sort of guideline. I know where he is coming from. You can spot a particular type of expat and how it is going to (sadly) unravel from a mile away - more's the pity.

I can think of similar examples of, admittedly, rough and ready (silly) guidelines which are not any guarantee but give people an idea of whether they are - literally - high-risk, or should proceed with caution.
Speaking to a mother more than 3 times blah blah blah is symbolic? No, it's not. It's complete ignorance and just shows how little he knows about anyone migrating other than himself.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Speaking to a mother more than 3 times blah blah blah is symbolic? No, it's not. It's complete ignorance and just shows how little he knows about anyone migrating other than himself.
Maybe he could have been more subtle. But I knew what he meant.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Maybe he could have been more subtle. But I knew what he meant.
How do you know what he meant? Who is to say that your interpretation of what he wrote is the correct one?
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
How do you know what he meant? Who is to say that your interpretation of what he wrote is the correct one?
I can't. I'm tipping....

His point is clear. Some people should not migrate. Some people are at higher risk than others and it's measurable to a point. That's also my opinion too. The rest is detail.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.