Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tony Abbott plans to block 130,000 people from migrating to Australia

Tony Abbott plans to block 130,000 people from migrating to Australia

Old Jul 26th 2010, 1:17 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tony Abbott plans to block 130,000 people from migrating to Australia

Originally Posted by spalen
Yes...all the while they are working and contributing to the country. Just like any other skilled migrant and paying tax.

If its a bad thing to have more migrant graduates , degree educated people in our workforce, then perhaps its time to pack up and leave.
You sound like you followed this exact same route we are talking about... educate in Australia and then got PR. Correct?
Old Jul 26th 2010, 1:22 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tony Abbott plans to block 130,000 people from migrating to Australia

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
You sound like you followed this exact same route we are talking about... educate in Australia and then got PR. Correct?
No not at all. I was educated and grew up in the UK. But I work with, employ, and have met , many students who are on these degrees or graduated from australian universities.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
I find that those statements are alarmist and derogatory to migrants, the suggestion that increase in immigration will increase sexual crimes by those migrants is discrimination based upon factors in other countries. By your statement, you argue that for every 50 Brits that come to Oz, some will rape naturalised citizens.
Did you do a google search? If you did you and read my post correctly you will see that I am referring to "certain members of the immigrant community" only. Normally Brits don't come over from Indonesia in boats.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 1:29 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

No not at all. I was educated and grew up in the UK. But I work with, employ, and have met , many students who are on these degrees or graduated from australian universities.
OK, I'm just trying to establish some perspective on where you are coming from.
I think your average Joe in the street sees PR gained via education as an easy route in... a back door if you will. The cooks and hairdresser schools have tarred much of the educational route with the same brush.... and many do see it as not much more than a government driven scam.

"Come to Australia and not only could you get a degree you could get to stay for life". It's a very persuasive sales pitch.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 1:42 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
OK, I'm just trying to establish some perspective on where you are coming from.
I think your average Joe in the street sees PR gained via education as an easy route in... a back door if you will. The cooks and hairdresser schools have tarred much of the educational route with the same brush.... and many do see it as not much more than a government driven scam.

"Come to Australia and not only could you get a degree you could get to stay for life". It's a very persuasive sales pitch.
Which only 40% of NSW, 5% of WA etc as I quoted took up

Perhaps those Cook and Hairdresser schools are full of poms, I distinctly remember how easy it was to get PR points for being a cook or a hairdresser and how many people on here were talking about doing just that..... Never planning to use those skills.....

On the other hand - Most asian students Ive met ( a fair few ) have parents who are paying upwards of 20-30K a year for them to study and have a very clear sense of duty to study and do well .
Old Jul 26th 2010, 1:42 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Did you do a google search? If you did you and read my post correctly you will see that I am referring to "certain members of the immigrant community" only. Normally Brits don't come over from Indonesia in boats.
Yes I did the search and yes I know the 'certain members' you are referring to. I think you are treading a very dangerous path with your comments.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I did the search and yes I know the 'certain members' you are referring to. I think you are treading a very dangerous path with your comments.
Why?
Old Jul 26th 2010, 1:52 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Why?
Because if you read the articles and 'news' reports via that search, there is a strong anti Muslim attitude and over simplification of the issue. It also admits that the authors stance conflicts with that of government.
I never tar all with the same brush, until there are signs that things are wrong you shouldn't be fatalist and make an assumption that they are going to be.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 1:52 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Please.... someone smart enough to graduate from a degree is going to sit on their butt and be happy to claim centrelink. A 21yr old is going to do that for their entire life ? Really? That is total nonsense. Perhaps we are transposing our australian bludger mentality onto the foreign students.
"Student to PR" graduates may be working, but often as taxi drivers or equivalent. Is that really in Australia's interest?
Old Jul 26th 2010, 1:55 am
ABCDiamond

And it is the Universities that want to cut these numbers back...

UNIVERSITIES are pushing for a crackdown in vocational training to root out the visa-driven element of the international student market, which they argue is causing collateral damage to the reputation of the sector.

the Australian Council for Private Education and Training urged the government to move away from requiring vocational students to complete 900 hours of work experience as a pathway to permanent residency. This was open to abuse and easily falsified, ACPET said

interviewing all applicants, "would mean that students with exceptionally low levels of English wouldn't apply and we could again attract students to bachelor degree courses, which means that genuine students would apply, and not those simply looking for the quickest route to working inAustralia or permanent residence."

2009 http://www.theaustralian.com.au/high...-1225763498615
Originally Posted by Tony Abbott
An incoming Coalition government would maintain skilled migration numbers within the 170,000-a-year limit by cracking down on dubious applicants.

Old Jul 26th 2010, 2:18 am
ah-beng

Originally Posted by JAJ
"Student to PR" graduates may be working, but often as taxi drivers or equivalent. Is that really in Australia's interest?
They only get the PR if the job uses their qualification.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Because if you read the articles and 'news' reports via that search, there is a strong anti Muslim attitude and over simplification of the issue. It also admits that the authors stance conflicts with that of government.
I never tar all with the same brush, until there are signs that things are wrong you shouldn't be fatalist and make an assumption that they are going to be.
Personally I don't think it is an over simplification. I have spent time in Sweden and know the problems that muslim immigration has caused. Sure, you can't tar all with the same brush but if you are in any doubt about the thinking behind it look up Sheik Hilaly. I am sure that one of the reasons Conroy wants his internet filter is to stiffle debate on this subject as it's not PC. Just because it conflicts with the governments stance doesn't make it untrue.

I see that the liberals have dumped their Chifley candidate because he said that labor were moving the nation closer to being a Muslim country. It is a taboo subject all round yet it may turn out to be one of the most pressing issues the country will face in the next 20 years.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 2:32 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I see that the liberals have dumped their Chifley candidate because he said that labor were moving the nation closer to being a Muslim country.
Yes that was the reason, not because he's a christian fundamentalist nutjob.

"When I get in I will give my votes, all of them, to God who is on the side of the Liberal Right," he said.
"But I don't know if we want at this stage in Australian politics a Muslim in the Parliament and an atheist running the Government."
"I made a comment that I believe God is the only way to heaven and we shouldn't have a Muslim candidate running in that area," he said.
...much like with picking Abbott, it's another case of what were they thinking!?
Old Jul 26th 2010, 2:58 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Personally I don't think it is an over simplification. I have spent time in Sweden and know the problems that muslim immigration has caused. Sure, you can't tar all with the same brush but if you are in any doubt about the thinking behind it look up Sheik Hilaly. I am sure that one of the reasons Conroy wants his internet filter is to stiffle debate on this subject as it's not PC. Just because it conflicts with the governments stance doesn't make it untrue.

I see that the liberals have dumped their Chifley candidate because he said that labor were moving the nation closer to being a Muslim country. It is a taboo subject all round yet it may turn out to be one of the most pressing issues the country will face in the next 20 years.
Sheik Hilaly is an old man who uses fear and ignorance amongst his followers to gain support and also uses criminal activities to try and slander/incriminate his opponents. Just like your everyday politician to me!!!

As for the member for Chifley, no, they dumped him because he is openly predujiced and as such can not fairly represent his constituency.

Look, I am not a lefty 'all people are good and only the proletariat is bad' nutjob who ignores our societies problems, but I do think that we have to take things in context and not fear 'assumptions' and media, I fear only that which is real. BTW, no offence to Lefties!!!!
Old Jul 26th 2010, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
Most PRs are experienced enough in their skills and get job with 3-4 months and start contributing their hard earned money to the Aus govt as tax. A substantial part of that money is used to support Australians who enjoy free Centrelink payments and concession studies and concession fares.

Remember, PRs are not entitled to top benefits like FEE-HELP, AusStudy, Concessions and any Centerlink payment (for first 2 years atleast). All they do is 'give to Australia' and not take away any of 'free benefits'.

How sensible will it be to cut such a 'productive section' of the society?

Last edited by mpgrewal; Jul 26th 2010 at 5:01 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.