Reload this Page >

Tonight on TV - Ten Pound Poms

Tonight on TV - Ten Pound Poms

Old Oct 31st 2007, 7:46 pm
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tonight on TV - Ten Pound Poms

Tonight on ABC 8.30pm.....Ten Pound Poms

The stories of nine Britons and their families who migrated to Australia in the postwar era.

Thought other expats may be interested in watching this.

L-j
Old Oct 31st 2007, 7:50 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tonight on TV - Ten Pound Poms

Originally Posted by ELLJAY

The stories of nine Britons and their families who migrated to Australia in the postwar era.

L-j
thanks.. will set the reminder
Old Oct 31st 2007, 8:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
thanks.. will set the reminder
It'll be interesting to see how back in those days they "REALLY" had it tough.

I'm fascinated by it all. It also amazes me that (from my experience) many poms from way back - never actually went for citizenship.

I also find it amazing how rules change...for example - my neighbour - came here as a child...when of an age to vote - wasn't allowed....then the rules changed...she was allowed.....then rules changed again - now she's not able to vote.

Have a good day. Gonna get my bottle of cider ready for 8.30pm!

L-j
Old Oct 31st 2007, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

My Grandmother's sister went out in 1952 as a £10 pom. She took her 3 children age 5, 4 and 2.

Two of these children now have Ozzie citernship - 1 doesn't. When she leaves the country she has to get a RRV, even though she's lived there for 50+ years, married an Ozzie and has Ozzie children and granchildren. You should hear the stories they tell about the camp they lived in for 3 years and the hard times they had.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Was just reading about it in The Age, it comments poms were sold a blissfull dream of appealing housing, endless jobs, improved health and ceaseless beachside activities the publilcity was nothing like the reality - backward, harsh, flyblown and unwlecoming, sounds like BE LOL

http://www.theage.com.au/news/tv-rev...618955741.html

Last edited by jad n rich; Oct 31st 2007 at 8:55 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

L-j
Thanks for that, will take a look.

It is interesting to see what the older migrants had to put up with. I am just reading a book at the moment which is fascinating, it is many stories of these 10 pound poms and what they actually put up with from the take up the offer right thru to when they settled or didn’t as the case may be.

Worth a read
Old Oct 31st 2007, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Was just reading about it in The Age, it comments poms were sold a blissfull dream of appealing housing, endless jobs, improved health and ceaseless beachside activities the publilcity was nothing like the reality - backward, harsh, flyblown and unwlecoming, sounds like BE LOL

Nothing much has changed then!!
Old Nov 1st 2007, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

Location: Life is like a box of chocolates......you never know what you're gonna get!! (Fforest Gump!)
pam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant futurepam0512 has a brilliant future

L-j
My parents were one of the last 10 pound poms to come over in 1970....they brought my brother and I with them....and yes they were sold a dream. They have many stories to tell of their time in Australia not only about living in the camps / hostels but the job situation etc (there were none!!) Needless to say they decided to go home and packed us off on the last ship back to the UK. Unfortunately, whilst it cost £10 to get here those that went home had to pay the Aus Government a whole lot more to get back if it didn't work out.
I will definitely be watching that progamme to see what they went through to get here and when they were here....
Pam x x
Old Nov 1st 2007, 12:47 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

I'm fascinated by it all. It also amazes me that (from my experience) many poms from way back - never actually went for citizenship.

L-j
My mom and dad were £10 poms. My brother was born there and then mom got homesick, so after 6 years they went back to the UK ... without getting citizenship !!! Would have saved me alot of sweat, tears and cash had they have got it.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:06 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fly Away
My Grandmother's sister went out in 1952 as a £10 pom. She took her 3 children age 5, 4 and 2.

Two of these children now have Ozzie citernship - 1 doesn't. When she leaves the country she has to get a RRV, even though she's lived there for 50+ years, married an Ozzie and has Ozzie children and granchildren.
There is nothing stopping her becoming an Australian citizen if she wants to.

In itself, marrying an Australian, having Australian children/grandchildren or even living in Australia for 50+ years are not enough to make someone an Australian citizen. A migrant must make the positive choice to become an Australian, and Australia won't force it onto people.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

Can't agree with you or the Age. There was plenty of work in Sydney and the Healthcare was better and cheaper than it is now. Hostels weren't great but we didn't find Australia unwelcoming or backward to any great degree.
In reply to another post, we only had to pay back the cost of migrating here if we didn't stay for 2 years.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

It'll be interesting to see how back in those days they "REALLY" had it tough.

I also find it amazing how rules change...for example - my neighbour - came here as a child...when of an age to vote - wasn't allowed....then the rules changed...she was allowed.....then rules changed again - now she's not able to vote.

Have a good day. Gonna get my bottle of cider ready for 8.30pm!

L-j
The reason so many didn't go for citizenship was because we could vote and had all the advantages of citizenship without actually being citizens. I got my citizenship after 38 years because the RRV, which used to be free, became ridiculous in price. My 2 eldest sons, who were 3 & 1year and 10 months when we came, have now at 44 & 43, just taken out citizenship.
Can't understand how your neighbour was allowed to vote and then not.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Can't understand how your neighbour was allowed to vote and then not.
Me neither - that just doesn't make sense at all.

Any permanent residents that were on the electoral roll at the time they changed the rules (so that only citizens could be added to the roll) stayed on it. They certainly weren't removed from the roll and therefore forbidden to vote

I was in exactly the same position at the time and continued to vote as a PR for a few years until I became a citizen.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 9:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NickyC
Me neither - that just doesn't make sense at all.

Any permanent residents that were on the electoral roll at the time they changed the rules (so that only citizens could be added to the roll) stayed on it. They certainly weren't removed from the roll and therefore forbidden to vote

I was in exactly the same position at the time and continued to vote as a PR for a few years until I became a citizen.
Sorry - only repeating what they told me.

Looking forward to program tonite.

lj
Old Nov 1st 2007, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry - only repeating what they told me.

Looking forward to program tonite.

lj
Same here!

I'm off to watch it now...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.