British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   TomTom GPS - buy new maps vs. buy new device? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/tomtom-gps-buy-new-maps-vs-buy-new-device-476535/)

ashwood Aug 24th 2007 11:40 am

TomTom GPS - buy new maps vs. buy new device?

Hi,

Looking to have GPS when I come to Brisbane next month. Should I buy an Australia map for my existing "TomTom GO" or should I just buy a new TomTom device when I get there?

Cheers!

wullieb1 Aug 24th 2007 11:48 am

Re: TomTom GPS - buy new maps vs. buy new device?

Originally Posted by ashwood (Post 5229810)
Hi,

Looking to have GPS when I come to Brisbane next month. Should I buy an Australia map for my existing "TomTom GO" or should I just buy a new TomTom device when I get there?

Cheers!

From what i've heard GPS is expensive in Oz so i would buy new maps for your device.

ashwood Aug 24th 2007 11:58 am

Will my exisiting cigarette lighter power cable for the TomTom be compatable with cars in Oz?:o

wullieb1 Aug 24th 2007 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by ashwood (Post 5229878)
Will my exisiting cigarette lighter power cable for the TomTom be compatable with cars in Oz?:o

Should be.

jonallcock Aug 24th 2007 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by ashwood (Post 5229878)

i brought over my PDA from the UK loaded with TomTom Australia software and it works fine

Problem: cigarettes over here are square and your UK round cigarette adaptor wont fit!!!

znaylor1974 Aug 24th 2007 12:56 pm

You'll also do well to actually buy the maps - TomTom didn't sell them last time I looked!

Sell yours on eBay and buy a new one here.

Z

Sunny_Glesga Aug 24th 2007 1:14 pm

Hi

i would bring the unit with ou and buy the maps over here as i did, you will get them on Ebay ;)

Hi,

Cheers!

Bonnybute Aug 24th 2007 2:05 pm

Buy the Maps from TomTom, we did.. and it was the best decision we ever made.

Bonnybute Aug 24th 2007 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by jonallcock (Post 5230039)
i brought over my PDA from the UK loaded with TomTom Australia software and it works fine

Problem: cigarettes over here are square and your UK round cigarette adaptor wont fit!!!

the one in our car was round, and it fitted fine

Ian12 Aug 24th 2007 3:22 pm

Hi,

Cheers!

If you have got a a UK map for the UK that you do not want i would be interested in buying it. Let me know. We will probably need our Oz maps until we return.

Josie1100 Aug 24th 2007 6:16 pm

We have a PDA that we run tom tom 6 and memory map on. My husband has actually just made our maps to put on it and they are fab. I think we will still order the memory map though as with our Geocaching hobby it will get much use over there :thumbsup:

itsjulie Aug 24th 2007 7:13 pm

We were over in Melbourne in April. We took my husbands TOMTOM and bought maps from ebay. It was great, never got lost once! It plugged into the Toyoto MPV no problem. We both have one and I'm going to buy the maps for mine when we go over, visa permitting, in November. :thumbsup:

rodandhayley Aug 24th 2007 10:34 pm

I bought a counterfit map of oz from the internet it worked great cost me 40 quid
better not publish the seller on here you can, pm me if you need to

martin102 Aug 26th 2007 11:30 am

Hi,

Cheers!

I bought a map from tom tom direct,downloaded to the pc and then loaded on to new card.Works great.Take no notice of square cigarette lighters,not sure what planet he,s from, They are all round here.

Sleeping Beauty Aug 26th 2007 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Ian12 (Post 5230659)
If you have got a a UK map for the UK that you do not want i would be interested in buying it. Let me know. We will probably need our Oz maps until we return.

have sent you a PM.