Tom Tom

Old May 15th 2006, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Auzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant future
Red face Tom Tom

Please don't laugh, remember I am a woman and am entitled to ask daft questions If I purchased a GPS or Tom Tom thingy would it work in Australia?
Old May 15th 2006, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tom Tom

Originally Posted by Auzangel
Please don't laugh, remember I am a woman and am entitled to ask daft questions If I purchased a GPS or Tom Tom thingy would it work in Australia?
Yes, Tomtom works in Australia, you need the OZ map of course though
Old May 15th 2006, 6:17 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Tom Tom

I am male and am likewise GPS-challenged!!! I believe that you can buy maps for different areas so you can probably buy them for Oz but I think we should make sure that Oz maps are available for the device of our choice before we buy one!!!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old May 15th 2006, 6:18 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Tom Tom

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Yes, Tomtom works in Australia, you need the OZ map of course though
Help us out here Kevin - if we buy a Tom Tom Go with the UK maps in it where do we get the Oz ones from?

Cheers mate

Buzzy
Old May 15th 2006, 6:21 pm
Nothing is Free!

Location: Seacliff Park, Adelaide. Call in for a drink and a bbq if your passin'
Rachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Help us out here Kevin - if we buy a Tom Tom Go with the UK maps in it where do we get the Oz ones from?

Cheers mate

Buzzy
I have Oz TomTom maps, with speed cameras and celeb voices.
PM me if you want a copy.
Paul
Old May 15th 2006, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Auzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant future

Thank you for your advice and not laughing at me, I am a blonde you know
Yes Buzzy it would be interesting to know where we can check if maps are available for our models and where we get them from.
I was just wondering if it was cheaper to purchase one here and take with us?

Cheers mate

Buzzy
Old May 15th 2006, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers mate

Buzzy
I think you can buy the maps from Tomtom, I have the OZ map for Tomtom on the PocketPC but I'm not sure if they are the same as the Tomtom Go.
Old May 15th 2006, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rachel & Paul
I have Oz TomTom maps, with speed cameras and celeb voices.
PM me if you want a copy.
Paul
Are the maps the same for the Tomtom Go and Tomtom Pocket PC?
Old May 15th 2006, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

jamiecairns is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, I have been following these forums for a while as I'm preparing to move to Oz in about 10 days !

I have been researching Tom Tom as I want to have maps of Sydney for house hunting, generally getting to know the place. As far as I can tell, you have a few options regarding making it work in Oz.

1. Buy a Tom Tom Go All In One Navigation device in Australia - http://www.tomtom.com/products/categ...D=0&Language=8 from the website or in various stores nationwide.

2. Buy (or use your existing) Tom Tom Go All In One navigation device (UK Model) and buy the additional Australian Maps to download onto an SD card (the one that you plug into the unit)- these are available from Tom Tom's website for €199 - http://www.tomtom.com/plus/services/mds.php

3. Buy (or use existing) Tom Tom Navigator 5 and download the Australian maps for your PDA/Smartphone. The Tom Tom website's Australian version does not offer this options, but the full package is available from www.expansys.com.au if you are already in Australia.

I'm going to go for Option 3.

Someone please feel free to tell me if I have made a mistake somewhere !

Cheers
JC
Old May 15th 2006, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

jamiecairns is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Are the maps the same for the Tomtom Go and Tomtom Pocket PC?
Kevin,

It seems they are the same maps, but only certain versions of the TomTom software will work with them... info is here http://www.tomtom.com/plus/service.php?ID=10&Language=1

Cheers
JC
Old May 15th 2006, 8:28 pm
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

When I looked into it last year the Tom Tom Australia maps were an extra £200 . Unless you want to use Tom Tom here you're better off buying it (whether a PDA option or all in one) in Australia. If you are computer challenged then the all in one option is probably best.

Martyn
Old May 15th 2006, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Dollydaydream's hubby used GPS in Oz on their reccie.

I found good ol' melways got me from A-B easily-( the signposting is another story )

I managed 2500kms around Victoria with just a melways- and I'm directionally challenged- just ask my hubby ( I say go right when I mean left!)
Fortunately the roads are straight and the freeways and highways easy to use
Old May 15th 2006, 11:27 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

You can get a PDA with GPS built in which runs MS Pocket PC. They are around £180 (inc delivery) http://www.globalpositioningsystems....scription.html
You will need to by a SD mmemorycard £15.

Next you need the maps which you can buy or download free from the internet.
I personally have all of Europe, ScScandinaviaUSA (all states) Canada and of course Australia.
Load the maps onto the memory card, insert it into the PDA. That's it you have your Sat Nav.

You can download Points Of Interest free from the internet like speed camera locations, so you get a warning before you approach the camera's.

The maps for the PDA do not work on the Tom Tom Go model, the Points Of Interest will.

Regards
Neil.
Old May 16th 2006, 12:37 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

In ALDI here they regularly have specails on the MIO Mitac PDA wiht inbuilt satnav - subscribe to hte aldi newsletter in aus - they have good IT bundles and stuff generally for the gadgeterati ( I dont mean the bathrobes )

Also check out ebay.com.au for 2nd hand ones - you may get a bargain. The maps for Tomtom are prohibitively expensive since htey're the bulk of the value of the thing.
Old May 16th 2006, 7:31 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Same as Kev, I use a mio 168 and downloaded the tomtom from bitlord so free
use it here all the time, only problem is I need more POI's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.