Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tired of waiting, waiting, waiting....

Tired of waiting, waiting, waiting....

Old Jun 28th 2005, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all
Default Tired of waiting, waiting, waiting....

I don't know about anyone else, but I am starting to get tired of the waiting game that is this visa process. I know that in the grand scheme of things we haven't been waiting that long (started the process in Feb), but every morning I wake up to check online if the ICAA (accounting body) have passed our assessment, which just says 'awaiting information' which we have sent them and know they have. We are waiting for our house to sell which is really stressful and we just really want to be able to start planning our new life. I have pretty much exhausted the realestate.com website and think I know the area of Melbourne we want to live better than the melbournites themselves!! I have been through a whole gammit of emotions from can't wait to get there to OMG what am I doing. I now just want to get it over with and get my life downunder! I think what has made it worse for us is that our agent said that because Accountants are on the MODL, the process would be much quicker and we should have our visa's by oct/nov and it doesn't seem any quicker.

Is anyone else feeling like this or am I just being typically impatient.

Sorry for the whinge!

Sarah
Old Jun 28th 2005, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tired of waiting, waiting, waiting....

Can't help with any info regarding your trade / assessing body but can sympathise ith the wait - seems like forever and then when you get the visa it's all worth it - even more so when you arrive and get on with your life.

Try to concentrate on all the things you'd like to do before you go, rather than 'waiting' around - once you've got the visa, the time fly's in and there's not enough time to do everything!!!!

best wishes,
Old Jun 28th 2005, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Can't help with any info regarding your trade / assessing body but can sympathise ith the wait - seems like forever and then when you get the visa it's all worth it - even more so when you arrive and get on with your life.

Try to concentrate on all the things you'd like to do before you go, rather than 'waiting' around - once you've got the visa, the time fly's in and there's not enough time to do everything!!!!

best wishes,
good advice - I have made a list of all the things that I have wanted to do/see for years but always thought 'another time perhaps' - now it seems there won't be another time, so it is going to be a very busy summer indeed!!!

Thanks for that
Old Jun 28th 2005, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Coxfam, no worries!

seems like an eternity during the 'long wait', all the uncertainty of whether or not you'll be granted the visas, are we doing the right thing etc etc.

easy to say but try and take it all in your stride, before you know it, you'll be here and going "Oh, we never went to such and such, we never did such and such".

Enjoy it all, it's all part of the journey. x
Old Jun 28th 2005, 9:48 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

I think all you can do is wait, yes it sucks but there's nothing that can be done to speed up DIMIA !
Try not to let it get to you, we all need to hang in there.
Its coming (hopefully) !
Old Jun 28th 2005, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Perthforme
I think all you can do is wait, yes it sucks but there's nothing that can be done to speed up DIMIA !
Try not to let it get to you, we all need to hang in there.
Its coming (hopefully) !
Thanks very much everyone - just having a bit of a down day today I guess. but the sun is shining, so I'll try to be grateful for that at least.

karma for you all, if it'll let me.

Sarah
Old Jun 28th 2005, 10:16 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coxfamuk
I don't know about anyone else, but I am starting to get tired of the waiting game that is this visa process. I know that in the grand scheme of things we haven't been waiting that long (started the process in Feb), but every morning I wake up to check online if the ICAA (accounting body) have passed our assessment, which just says 'awaiting information' which we have sent them and know they have. We are waiting for our house to sell which is really stressful and we just really want to be able to start planning our new life. I have pretty much exhausted the realestate.com website and think I know the area of Melbourne we want to live better than the melbournites themselves!! I have been through a whole gammit of emotions from can't wait to get there to OMG what am I doing. I now just want to get it over with and get my life downunder! I think what has made it worse for us is that our agent said that because Accountants are on the MODL, the process would be much quicker and we should have our visa's by oct/nov and it doesn't seem any quicker.

Sorry for the whinge!

Sarah
I don't know which UK qualification you have but I had a delay with ICAA because of the ICAEW. ICAEW gave me letters for proof of membership and exam results but not for "good standing". ICAA said that they always forget this and implied they write direct to confirm this. So that could be what 'awaiting information' means.

I also thing ICAA times go up and down. When I applied to them their website said 4-6 weeks but 2 weeks later it said 12-16 weeks as it was approaching Xmas. It also took 2 weeks for the letter to arrive through the Xmas post.

Despite what your agent said, MODL don't go through any quicker. Mine took 11 weeks which was about the same as the skills assessment.

We have also been waiting for the house to sell but we found a buyer 2 weeks ago. There is only 3 in the chain, the first is in rented accomodation and the second won't need a mortgage so it could all go through very fast.

So while it is easier said than done, do try and relax and make the most of your remaining months in the UK. The sheer panic of having to wrap up your whole life in a couple of months before you go is so much more stressful than the waiting game. We are expecting to fly out in late September now, just 10 months from start-to-finish. That may seem like forever but if we had applied 12 months earlier it would have taken 2 years.

I hope that helps. PM me if you have any bean-counter questions.

Iain
Old Jul 1st 2005, 6:35 pm
Pam
Forum Regular

Pam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the rough

Sorry for the whinge!

Sarah
I am CIMA qualified, and my agent told me it would take about 10-12 weeks to be approved by ICAA. However, it only took 10 days, and that was only last month, so yours might not take as long as you think!
I know what you mean about waiting though! Our Visa application is now going through, and although we've had confirmation that it is with DIMA, we haven't heard anything for a while (which is probably as it should be), but it's weird, as once you've made the decision to go, you want to do just that! We have also been told to expect our Visa in Oct/Nov, and we also started the process in Feb - so both our Agents can't be wrong (can they?!!).

Spooky this, but we are also based in Hampshire and are looking to move to Melboure...?
Old Jul 1st 2005, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all

I know the waiting is a pain but it,s not as long as some.We for one sent our tra off in Jan 04 got that back within 10 weeks and then the visa application went in April 04.Thats well over 17 months and we still hav,nt got it yet.We are in the pre july 04 back log,there,s quite a few of us from then still waiting.

Don,t worry about having a moan though it,s a demanding time

good luck dave
Old Jul 1st 2005, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

CAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really nice

Do have a good moan but spare a thought for all us pre-July 2004 folk and you'll feel much better. Well over a year of waiting for us now and believe me there have been some classic moaning sessions about DIMIA in our house. So used to waiting now I'm worried as to how I'll actually feel if and when they issue the bloody thing. I think I'll be like "Oh well is that it" - I've forgotten why I wanted to go now! Try not to think about it - get on with life or believe me you just end up going mad with the frustration.
Caz
Old Jul 1st 2005, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

It is all worth while when you eventually get the visas, try having the visas and not been able to sell your house, a real pisser .
Old Jul 1st 2005, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

CAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really niceCAZ76 is just really nice

Totally agree - housing market sucks!
Old Jul 1st 2005, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Jim & Kathryn will become famous soon enoughJim & Kathryn will become famous soon enough

Hi Sarah

Am feeling the same way too! I get up at 6am to check the email and go to work feeling racked off everyday.
Every day you wake is 1 day closer to going (so my hubby says)!!!!!

Love Kathryn
x
Old Jul 1st 2005, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

My wait has been since Jan 2004 !! Admittedly most of it was waiting for hubby to make his mind up for the final time instead of the yo-yoing he had been doing. Still waiting to send TRA stuff to agent - hopefully, should be next week !
Old Jul 1st 2005, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Garry,Sue & James is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sarah

Yes I agree the waiting is very tedious, but we have been waiting since LAST JUNE (04) for our visa, so with this in mind it gives you a bit of hope.

Hopefully we should hear any day now.

Good Luck anyway.

Sue

Sorry for the whinge!

Sarah

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.