Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tips for getting a rental - Perth

Tips for getting a rental - Perth

Old Oct 18th 2011, 7:06 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tips for getting a rental - Perth

Listened to an interesting interview on the radio today, with tips on the best way to secure a rental in Perth, including where people go wrong..... much of it is common sense, but might be useful to someone out there?

The spokesperson was from REIWA (Real Estate in Western Australia) www.reiwa.com.au

She was saying that the rental market is 'tight' at the moment with more people looking for properties than the number of properties available and people are making the mistake of applying for properties with 'huge gaps' in the information required on the agreement. Basically you must provide as much information as possible to even get a look in, and with the tight market anyone not making the effort to prepare will virtually be discounted at the outset.....

#1 You must prove beyond doubt who you are
- There are a lot of scams and so anyone who may not appear who they are will not be considered for the property.
#2 Supporting proof of who you are, lots of it - Utility bills, bank accounts, passports copies, driving license etc etc
#3 Character references (more than one if possible) - Even better a reference from a previous rental agent to show you are a safe bet and will look after the property
#4 Pet reference - If applying with a pet, prove beyond doubt the pet is well behaved, has not caused a disturbance or damage
#5 Appearance - You have to look the part to get the property, many people turn up to present documents and haven't made an effort with their appearance. If you don't look smart, what will the property look like in 6 months!
#6 Look to create a partnership with the agent - The better you get on with the agent and can show that you will be a great tenant, the better your chances of securing the property. The agent has to try and do the best for their property owners.

When we first arrived we had never rented before and so found the entire process pretty stressful. If you are well prepared when applying for a property with documents required and proof as listed, you should stand a better chance than others who are not preparing adequately.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 1:10 pm
Now in Oz

trackye will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tips for getting a rental - Perth

Very useful as we arrive in 4 weeks!!
Old Oct 18th 2011, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

I have had many rentals in perth, sometimes moving back from other states or abroad and theres one thing you need really, the one thing that they care about....cash

If you show a bank statement that proves you have money then I have found every agent to be happy with that. No need for refrences, employment, proof of previous addresses etc, just cash, then just want to know you can pay the rent, thats all they seem to care about.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 4:03 pm
Now in Oz

Originally Posted by dave99
I have had many rentals in perth, sometimes moving back from other states or abroad and theres one thing you need really, the one thing that they care about....cash

If you show a bank statement that proves you have money then I have found every agent to be happy with that. No need for refrences, employment, proof of previous addresses etc, just cash, then just want to know you can pay the rent, thats all they seem to care about.
Thats good to know as we have no jobs lined up as yet. We have savings so can show a bank statement. Can the turn around be quick then?? We have a holiday home for 2 weeks and hope to find and secure a rental during that time, in your experience would you say this is possible??

Thanks in advance

Last edited by trackye; Oct 18th 2011 at 4:04 pm. Reason: put wrong word
Old Oct 18th 2011, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trackye
Thats good to know as we have no jobs lined up as yet. We have savings so can show a bank statement. Can the turn around be quick then?? We have a holiday home for 2 weeks and hope to find and secure a rental during that time, in your experience would you say this is possible??

Thanks in advance
Yes this can definetly be done, I have in fact done it a few times myself. Once I stayed two weeks at a hilarys harbour apartment the first time I came to perth then I did it a few years later again when I moved back from adelaide.

Each time I was able to find a place in the first week, taking along bank statements to show I had the funds and then getting all the paper work and landlord approval sorted in the second week and moving in on the monday of the third week.

Be prepared for an exhausting time running around like a crazy person seeing as many as you can!. Buying a gps for the car helps a lot.

One thing to be aware off, letting agents wont give you the keys or arrange to meet you at a property when its good for you, like they do in the UK.
What they do is they have fixed home open times and you have to simply go when those are running.

The best way to find a place is obviously on the internet where you can see pictures as well. But some times agents dont list them on the net when they first come up. A lot of the nicer places get taken before they even make it to the net.

To find these its a good idea to drive around to agents offices in an area your interested in and pickup the leaflets they will have on the front counter for home open times. Yes it sounds low tech but often its a great way to get a look at a place before hundreds of others even get to see it on the internet.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 4:48 pm
Now in Oz

Yes this can definetly be done, I have in fact done it a few times myself. Once I stayed two weeks at a hilarys harbour apartment the first time I came to perth then I did it a few years later again when I moved back from adelaide.

Each time I was able to find a place in the first week, taking along bank statements to show I had the funds and then getting all the paper work and landlord approval sorted in the second week and moving in on the monday of the third week.

Be prepared for an exhausting time running around like a crazy person seeing as many as you can!. Buying a gps for the car helps a lot.

One thing to be aware off, letting agents wont give you the keys or arrange to meet you at a property when its good for you, like they do in the UK.
What they do is they have fixed home open times and you have to simply go when those are running.

The best way to find a place is obviously on the internet where you can see pictures as well. But some times agents dont list them on the net when they first come up. A lot of the nicer places get taken before they even make it to the net.

To find these its a good idea to drive around to agents offices in an area your interested in and pickup the leaflets they will have on the front counter for home open times. Yes it sounds low tech but often its a great way to get a look at a place before hundreds of others even get to see it on the internet.

Fantastic, really helpful. We have been looking on the net to suss out where we fancy. Dropping into the local agents sounds like a plan.

Thank you!!
Old Oct 19th 2011, 2:04 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic, really helpful. We have been looking on the net to suss out where we fancy. Dropping into the local agents sounds like a plan.

Thank you!!
Have you looked at these web sites?
http://www.realestate.com.au
http://reiwa.com.au
http://www.domain.com.au

For schools (if kids?)
http://www.myschool.edu.au/
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

carn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
West Australian Newspaper (classifieds) is also a good place too.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 3:15 pm
Now in Oz

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Thanks for this, have been on the real estate sites but the school one is new to me. Should help
Old Oct 20th 2011, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Identify the areas you want to live in and then go and meet the local agents.
When we were forced to move from our previous rental that was being sold, we were lucky to get a great replacement property that was never advertised and we were given first refusal as it was through our current agent. Good luck finding a great rental because there's plenty of rubbish ones out there!!
Old Oct 20th 2011, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

cubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant future

Very useful info here, thanks veru much all!
Old Oct 21st 2011, 4:58 pm
Now in Oz

Originally Posted by rockpeblar
Identify the areas you want to live in and then go and meet the local agents.
When we were forced to move from our previous rental that was being sold, we were lucky to get a great replacement property that was never advertised and we were given first refusal as it was through our current agent. Good luck finding a great rental because there's plenty of rubbish ones out there!!
Do you know of decent agents for areas such as Tapping, Banksia, Carramarr or Alkimos? They are looking good at the moment for NOR and Baldivis or Canning Vale SOR???
Old Nov 26th 2011, 6:51 am
Now in Oz

Well we have arrived!! 1 week ago today and managed to secure a rental by Thursday. You were absolutely right, hard cash works. We also offered to pay 3 months upfront which i'm sure also helped. Hubby also secured a job from first interview!!

So all in all a great first week, thanks for the advice!! We were worried before as we hadn't rented before and had no refs.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Well we have arrived!! 1 week ago today and managed to secure a rental by Thursday. You were absolutely right, hard cash works. We also offered to pay 3 months upfront which i'm sure also helped. Hubby also secured a job from first interview!!

So all in all a great first week, thanks for the advice!! We were worried before as we hadn't rented before and had no refs.
That's brilliant!

Last edited by Alfresco; Nov 27th 2011 at 4:54 am.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 8:29 am
Just Joined

GoodToBeInPerth is just really niceGoodToBeInPerth is just really niceGoodToBeInPerth is just really niceGoodToBeInPerth is just really niceGoodToBeInPerth is just really niceGoodToBeInPerth is just really niceGoodToBeInPerth is just really niceGoodToBeInPerth is just really nice

We landed in Perth last Saturday, and top priority was house rental. We can confirm it is very competitive, we went to a few properties (open viewings) where there were 10 to 15 families also viewing. It does add a bit of pressure as we only had a villa rented for 2 weeks and a rental required for end of next week.

After 15 visits, we had our second application accepted. Tips from our experience this week are:-

1) Be different to the rest. Offer to pay 3 months in advance, or perhaps 6 months

2) 12 months lease instead of 6 months lease ? I'm only just here but from all the research I've done I get the feeling that most people end up renting for at least 12 months, 6 months passes in no time. It is probably in your interests, as well as the owners, to commit to a 12 month rent, and gives you a further edge. After all do you want all the hassle again in 6 months time.

3) Financial Profile. We prepared a financial profile which outlined the fact that we have money in the bank in Australia and about to have redundancy paid in the UK. We included a copy of our NAB statement and my redundancy letter.

4) Competition. Don't be put off by the competition. The house that we saw was fantastic and we were so pleased that at the beginning of the viewing there were only us there. However on leaving the property 3 or 4 other cars turned up and we felt a bit downhearted. We kept in touch with the agent to find out if other applications made, and there were none, which made it easier for us to lodge an application, knowing that it would be successful. (by the way when you lodge an application have to pay 4 weeks rent in advance, so you can only lodge one application at a time otherwise you lose the dosh if you are accepted but don't want it)

5) Notes. Take notes during viewings, or immediately after so that you can remember the key features

6) Matrix / Priority / Scoring. If you want to be really thorough, rather than just ruling by the head, score the viewings according the factors that are important to you eg. travel to CBD, rental cost, quality of house, feel of the community

7) Directions. The viewings tend to be late afternoon, from 4pm onwards, so there is a limit as to which ones you can see. consider your priorities, and plan your route carefully so you are not late as the agents will stick to their slots and close up

8) Bank Transfer. Although we thought we had all the bases covered, we came unstuck last night when we tried to transfer 3 months rent to the estate agent. Our NAB account had a limit of $2,500 as a daily transfer. We then tried to call the call centre at 8pm WA time, only to find the good old chappies in the east had pissed off home. Not the 24 hours service we have been used to in UK for a number of years now, and I would suspect this will not be the first frustration when it comes to customer service for WA residents I experience due to the East being 3 or 4 hours ahead. The changing of the limit was done first thing this morning, when the call centre opened back up

9) Keep on top of the agents. They try to reply within 48 hours which is a long time if you have only 2 weeks to get sorted. Our first application was lodged on Tuesday morning, and it then transpired the owners were not able to make a decision for a week. Stuff that for a game of solders, we had to withdraw our application and back to the drawing board.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.